Author Topic: Question on a detail  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Question on a detail
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 03:17:03 pm »
OMG. I feel sooooo embarrassed. Am I blind? Was I blind for the last year?
Now I *see* it. It's a can opener for sure. And it looks nothing like the thing I have drawn (*blushes deeply*).
No net, and the two red objects belong to the crank handle. I just didn't see the white part of the can opener, I only saw the red horizontal top.

Do you know the kind of pictures/ optical illusions that 'change' after a while, when you stare long enough at them? And suddenly you're not able anymore to see the image you first saw? This is how it feels to me right now.
When I look at the pic now, I'm barely able to see the ring and the net anymore. Now I see the can opener for sure.

Did you all think I'm drunk when I spoke of a basketball hoop and net in my first post?  :laugh:

Only one thing soothes me: I yanked out my DVD, forced my husband to take a close look at the 'thing', showed it to him in slow-motion, paused the DVD. And: he thought it's a water tap! But then he crouched down directly in front of the TV and saw "It's something with a crank handle."

Maybe it's really time for glasses after all  ???

Thank you all for explaining so patiently.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 03:55:46 pm »
Don't be embarrassed!  ;D
Thatt was pretty funny! It allowed me to think back on my Granny's kitchen and my mind wandered to thoughts of my Grandmother who is now gone!
It is hard to tell all the detail from a picture!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:19:53 pm »

Ok folks im going to show my age here.  I had one of those can openers when my kids were small. It was by far the best and most durable one I ever had.  I used it for ten years, and finally when we sold the house.. I left it for the next people.  I have been so sad ever since.  I have tried very unsuccessfully to find its equal ever since.
      I has a built in hinge.  You can kind of see it on the close up version.  Its a cut of about half an inch next to the swinging hinge.  It locks it in  or out as the case may me.  the bottom of the frame that attaches to the wall.  You lift the front part up and turn and relock it into place.  Then raise it again to do that in reverse to push it out of the way...
      Hope this helps you to see how it would work... best damn can opener ever...and the whole cutting part  of it can be removed for washing.  Either in the sink or dishwasher.  Mine was white, with yellow trim.  Just like the one in that last picture..  did i say the best damn can opener ever invented....well its worth mentioning again

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:47:19 pm »
Janice, have you considered contacting the folks at the Vermont Country Store about finding a can opener like that one? It's amazing the good old fashioned stuff those people are able to locate.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 09:51:32 pm »
Janice, have you considered contacting the folks at the Vermont Country Store about finding a can opener like that one? It's amazing the good old fashioned stuff those people are able to locate.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

Cool Jeff!
Thanks for the link!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 10:08:50 pm »
Cool Jeff!
Thanks for the link!

My pleasure!  :D They have a fun catalogue, too!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:10 pm »
These were real popular.  The didn't get lost in the drawer.  They folded against the wall when not in use.

The most popular brand was Swing-A-Way.

And they still make and sell them.

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/kitchen-accessories/swing-a-way-can-opener.aspx

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 09:10:42 am »
These were real popular.  The didn't get lost in the drawer.  They folded against the wall when not in use.

The most popular brand was Swing-A-Way.

And they still make and sell them.

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/kitchen-accessories/swing-a-way-can-opener.aspx

I figured they still had to be around somewhere!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 10:02:24 am »
Another detail I just love in this photo is the little two-handled blue cup directly in front of Alma. It is so dear not only by itself but in what it represents to me. How wonderful it must have been to be the set decorator (if that's what it's called) on this movie!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 10:38:11 am »
I figured they still had to be around somewhere!  ;D

I still have one!   :laugh: