Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3172353 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #1840 on: October 22, 2006, 11:17:08 pm »
its true

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1841 on: October 23, 2006, 12:00:58 am »
Jane, great pic with Jake.  I hate you already.  ;D

Maybe I missed this, but I thought it interesting news:

The linked article says that "[Reese Witherspoon] starts filming a new movie, “Rendition,” with Jake Gyllenhaal next month, directed by Gavin Hood (of the Oscar-winning “Tsotsi")...As Reese explains it, it’s about Americans intersecting with the Muslim world. An unknown Egyptian actor will play her husband, who is tortured in the Middle East by Gyllenhaal. “It’s like 'Crash,' with a lot of different characters,” she explained."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221507,00.html

I have a feeling that this will be an amazing movie, but I don't know if I'm ready for Jake to be a torturer...Not that I doubt his artistic abilities will make the role come alive...I can actually see him taking a bit of gleeful pleasure in playing the anti-Jake, though it sounds as if it is a serious film...I'm just not sure that I'll be emotionally OK with watching it.  Maybe I will be by the time the movie is in theatres...

Oh, I'd love to see evil Jake.  Or else, scarily, a Jake whose character is a fanatic about Americanism that he goes beyond what is allowed by human decency, feeling completely justified in doing so - he's doing it for love of his country.

What a great role.

Back on the old IMDb board, I brought up a great role both Jake and Heath could have taken together - that of the gay lovers/murderers Loeb and Leopold.

Jake stretching his acting talents in any direction is good.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #1842 on: October 23, 2006, 12:01:56 am »
I've heard both that he was afraid of heights and that it was filmed during his two week absence from the set while he was auditioning for Jarhead. Not sure which is true, though I honestly think I read both of those in interviews, not just heard them randomly...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #1843 on: October 23, 2006, 12:03:33 am »
Jane, great pic with Jake.  I hate you already.  ;D

Oh, I'd love to see evil Jake.  Or else, scarily, a Jake whose character is a fanatic about Americanism that he goes beyond what is allowed by human decency, feeling completely justified in doing so - he's doing it for love of his country.

What a great role.

Back on the old IMDb board, I brought up a great role both Jake and Heath could have taken together - that of the gay lovers/murderers Loeb and Leopold.

Jake stretching his acting talents in any direction is good.

I completley agree... I've wanted to see him play a bad character, or less than lovable character for quite awhile. He definitely has the talent to pull it off and I love love love your Loeb and Leopold idea. Which of the two would you like to see him play?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #1844 on: October 23, 2006, 12:13:38 am »
I completley agree... I've wanted to see him play a bad character, or less than lovable character for quite awhile. He definitely has the talent to pull it off and I love love love your Loeb and Leopold idea. Which of the two would you like to see him play?

Isn't it obvious?

Leopold, of course.  Heath is a deadringer for Loeb.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #1845 on: October 23, 2006, 07:48:41 am »
Who are these Leopold & Loeb guys? I've never heard of them.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #1846 on: October 23, 2006, 08:38:23 am »
Who are these Leopold & Loeb guys? I've never heard of them.

Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_and_Loeb

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1847 on: October 23, 2006, 09:00:51 am »
I thought he played a less than likable character in Jarhead, actually.  What I like about pretty much all the roles he's taken on (at least the ones I've seen) is that the characters are not black and white all good or all bad.  Most are good but flawed.  I found Tony Swofford, at least the way he played him, to be more bad than good - a tough, hard-hearted guy who also was capable of a little compassion.
No more beans!

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #1848 on: October 23, 2006, 02:22:05 pm »
I thought he played a less than likable character in Jarhead, actually.  What I like about pretty much all the roles he's taken on (at least the ones I've seen) is that the characters are not black and white all good or all bad.  Most are good but flawed.  I found Tony Swofford, at least the way he played him, to be more bad than good - a tough, hard-hearted guy who also was capable of a little compassion.

Jarhead was one of my favorite movies, and my DH hated it.  He found it depressing.  He didn't find the Swofford character at all sympathetic,  However, having been in the military, I felt I understood him.  Plus I thought Jake played the part beautifully and I love him.   :)
I felt it rang true on so many levels and I'd known people and situations like that, so it was very real for me.  There's a saying in the armed forces in reference to the job, I can't remember exactly, so I'll paraphrase"  Being/working in the military is ninety-something per cent boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror.  I totally agree with that.
I bought Swofford's book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.  I think he was very brave to share his experiences, in light of the fact that many military people (Marine Corps especially) were upset by the image he revealed.  But, it really was like that.  I have enough memoirs to fill a book as well, but I could never have have it published.  (The Navy would NOT be happy.)  I admire him for that courage.
Anyway, great job by Jake, Jarhead is one of my favs next to BBM. (And Jack was my fav character.)  Actually I really liked almost all the movies Jake's done that I've seen so far.
Can anyone tell me about Donnie Darko before I rent it?

Sorry if I rambled a bit OT.  Thanx.

NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #1849 on: October 23, 2006, 02:37:21 pm »
Isn't it obvious?

Leopold, of course.  Heath is a deadringer for Loeb.

wow, seriously... when you put those two pictures together they look eerily alike. Jake would be a perfect Leopold and it would be a very different role for him. And I'm still waiting for a good Leopold and Loeb movie... the ones out there aren't all horrible, but none have been quite right for me.
Jarhead was one of my favorite movies, and my DH hated it.  He found it depressing.  He didn't find the Swofford character at all sympathetic,  However, having been in the military, I felt I understood him.  Plus I thought Jake played the part beautifully and I love him.   :)
I felt it rang true on so many levels and I'd known people and situations like that, so it was very real for me.  There's a saying in the armed forces in reference to the job, I can't remember exactly, so I'll paraphrase"  Being/working in the military is ninety-something per cent boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror.  I totally agree with that.
I bought Swofford's book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.  I think he was very brave to share his experiences, in light of the fact that many military people (Marine Corps especially) were upset by the image he revealed.  But, it really was like that.  I have enough memoirs to fill a book as well, but I could never have have it published.  (The Navy would NOT be happy.)  I admire him for that courage.
Anyway, great job by Jake, Jarhead is one of my favs next to BBM. (And Jack was my fav character.)  Actually I really liked almost all the movies Jake's done that I've seen so far.
Can anyone tell me about Donnie Darko before I rent it?

Sorry if I rambled a bit OT.  Thanx.

Definitely read the book, I love the movie but the book is fascinating and beautifully written. He's been accused of lying for writing it, but I think a lot of that is just what you said, people not liking the way he presents the military.

I agree Barb, Swofford is not the most lovable character and was a huge stretch for Jake. I'd like to see him get into more roles like this, where good and bad aren't so clear cut. That's one of the reasons I agree he'd be perfect to play Leopold. Leopold was a complete mystery, cold and almost inhumanly intelligent but at the same time was almost a little boy in his inability to deal with his emotions and he loved Loeb to the point of obsession. I'd love to see him pull that off. He definitely could IMO