Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3137316 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #1850 on: October 23, 2006, 02:42:51 pm »
Can anyone tell me about Donnie Darko before I rent it?

Oh, my God.  How do I love this movie?  Let me count the ways.  :)

As much as I love Jack Twist, I love Donnie Darko more.  I love that he's a revolutionary.  I love that he isn't afraid of anything (except being alone) or anyone.  I love how he stands up to injustice wherever he sees it and doesn't give a tinker's cuss what the school bully or even his best friends and girlfriend think of him when he does it.  I love how kind he is to the school and town outcasts.  I love that he loves literature and understands how to dissect it for its meaning.  I love that he can draw and write.

I love the music.  It's all circa 1988, and that was one of the best years of my life.

I love Donnie's parents.  I love how they look like they could actually be his parents, and how, although they're flawed, they're so likable, just like him.

I love that Maggie plays his sister in it and seeing how they play off each other.  You can see the real affection they have for each other in their scenes together.

I love that the first time I saw it, at the end I said, "What the hell just happened?" but that I wanted to see it again (and again) to find out.

I love the version of "Mad World" that accompanies the final scenes.  Absolutely haunting - there is no better song and no better version of it Richard Kelly could have chosen.

Mostly I love it because it's original.  It was original in 2001, and it's still every bit as original now.  I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

I recommend seeing the original theatrical release first - the Director's Cut is less ambiguous, and ambiguity is my friend.  If you buy one, I'd still buy the original version, because then you get Richard Kelly's and Jake's commentary instead of Richard Kelly's and Kevin Smith's commentary.  Lotta people like and admire Kevin Smith - I could largely do without him and most of his movies.  But maybe that's just me.

And you thought you rambled?  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1851 on: October 23, 2006, 04:38:09 pm »
Rumors of a less heavy film for Jake to star in...

Liz Smith recently had a column in which there was talk that  Jake, Leo and Joaquin  had signed on to do a fim set in Paris in 1912 wth Jake and the a.m. actors playing a group of famous artists  who hung out together on the left bank of Paris... 

Chagall, Picasso, Rivera, Soutine and several others were named. Now that sounds like that would be an enjoyable film to be a part of... To be titled THE HIVE.  Jake had expressed an interest in his next film not being so dark as ZODIAC.  RENDITION doesn't sound like it's going to be lighter fare.   

Since these artist supposedly lived a rather widldy sexual life, maybe some bisexual action between Jake and Joaquine is possible.  :D  I don't know what Chagall looked like and Liz didn't see whose going to play who. Leo playing Picasso sounds like a stretch, but who knows.  Here's the column

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10122006/gossip/liz/left_bank_of_old_liz_liz_smith.htm
IMDB.com has a schedule showing release in 2008. Details are still to be posted.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1852 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:07 pm »
I found Jake's 'Swofford' a 'nice' character.  He was just a normal guy.  He wasn't evil or mean or not unsympathetic.

I found it hard to sympathize with the character's issues - but I think it's because I've not been in the military.  What they're bemoaning I found extremely odd.  You think they'd be glad, but apparently from what other military guys/gals have told me, once you get wound up and buy into the military mind-set, it IS a big deal not to do what you've been trained to do.

I just did not feel their pain.

But Jake was great.  The best scene?  When his sergeant tries to humiliate him by having him 'sing' in front of his platoon.  He does it and when the sergeant asks, 'You still here?"  Watch Jake's face.  His expression and tone of voice is priceless and multi-faceted.

navy,
'Donnie Darko' is too good to be missed.  Go in with no expectations because they won't be fulfilled no matter what you think they should be.  It's a gem of a movie.

Wow kd, I'm all over Jake being in a period piece.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #1853 on: October 24, 2006, 12:25:23 am »
Watch Jake's face.  His expression and tone of voice is priceless and multi-faceted.

Could not agree more! That's also one of my favorite moments. That and the marines watching Apocalypse Now which just about terrified me. That was some very good acting.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1854 on: October 24, 2006, 12:38:59 am »
i loved Jake as Anthony Swofford.  I thought Jarhead was a very good movie....very realistic...i never knew what it was like in Desert Storm for our military.  Seems like they were trudging across the sand with nothng around.... how extremely mundane for those guys.. I think my fav part was Jake's portrayal of rage and emotional anger as he threatening the guy who set off the flares.  That was awesome acting, and i understand he chipped his tooth with the gun in that scene....he was very convincing.  Dark maybe yes...realistic definitley...whenever Jake plays a part in a movie its easy to forget Jake Gyllenhaal and just see the character he's playing. I noticed a bit of Jack Twist when he came upon the horse dowsed in oil. It showed a sensitive side to the character a very sad part in the movie..

As for Donnie Darko its a teen cult movie...the best part was the end ~ very different ..Having a teenager myself I got to see the movie a few years ago when it came out...long before I thought he was Hot Hot Hot

The Good Girl was much better the second go around for me.. I could appreciate the dark comedy it was the second time around...and I Heart Holden.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1855 on: October 24, 2006, 12:54:39 am »
Jake as Swofford in Jarhead

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1856 on: October 24, 2006, 01:14:02 am »
Who are these Leopold & Loeb guys? I've never heard of them.
             they were two young rich guys that were bored and had nothing to do except try and prove how smart they were, by attempting to perform the perfect murder...not much in there to be having any warm fuzzies about.  i cant really see any young actors taking on those roles if they hope to have a larger fanbase..i know that is what jake and heath are doing now..while at the same time taking on different types of roles...i know that jake is famous, as is heath at varying their roles, i dont see the benefiit of doing a role about a guy with no redeaming core..possibly so but i wouldnt advise it.could happen but i just cant see it

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1857 on: October 24, 2006, 01:18:19 am »
             they were two young rich guys that were bored and had nothing to do except try and prove how smart they were, by attempting to perform the perfect murder...not much in there to be having any warm fuzzies about.  i cant really see any young actors taking on those roles if they hope to have a larger fanbase..i know that is what jake and heath are doing now..while at the same time taking on different types of roles...i know that jake is famous, as is heath at varying their roles, i dont see the benefiit of doing a role about a guy with no redeaming core..possibly so but i wouldnt advise it.could happen but i just cant see it

Actors such as Jake and Heath wouldn't do such movies to raise their fanbase if they are true artists.  They'd do something like this to expand their repetoire and stretch their talents.  After all, actors don't always make movies about likeable people.  I very much enjoyed and recommend the movie 'Max'.  You really feel for young Hitler in that one.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1858 on: October 24, 2006, 01:46:42 am »
I really enjoyed this movie, too.  It actually bears a repeat viewing, as the first time I saw it I didn't quite get the full impact.  And I'm not talking about the Santa dance, as enjoyable as that was to watch both times.  :)  I'm talking about the Roger Deakins cinematography that haunts you, and the poetic screenplay that haunts you, too, with lines like "The Earth is bleeding" and "We are still in the desert."  Really a beautiful film.  And I thought Peter Sarsgaard was excellent - perhaps the best I've seen him, though I quite liked him in "Shattered Glass" too.  Like Jake, so subtle, and so facially expressive.

I also liked how they went against stereotype - how the seemingly redneck Texan turned out to be the bleeding heart liberal (relatively speaking) and how the quiet, thoughtful guy ended up being more pro-war than just about anyone.

The music was great, too, and totally took me back to that time frame, so I imagine it would really resonate with anyone going through something remotely as traumatic as being on the ground in a war, whether anything really happened or not, at that time.
   i totally agree with your assesment of jarhead...jake and peter were unsurpassed...the multifaceted, directions that the men had to take in that movie was amazing..it was a particularly excellent cast, jamie farr and all the other guys were awsome..i too loved the look of the picture..the fires and the horse, the burn outs etc..the cinematography was a thing to behold...i know that this was not a nice movie, but it was a great movie...

Beautiful mind

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #1859 on: October 24, 2006, 01:56:55 am »
no explanation needed for this one...  oh yeah, courtesy of Britpopbaby and Jake Watch.  Thanks BPB!!   :-*

<falls over dead> is that what i think it is in the pic? ! OMFG ! <drools uncontrolably !>
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"