Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3166241 times)

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #5520 on: May 07, 2012, 05:11:54 pm »
So, who's Jake playing, Anna or her mother?  ???

Or perhaps her HOT Uncle....

But the part as Anna is still availble for any one who can play the role as teenager.  ;D

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #5521 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:39 am »

Jake Gyllenhaal 'smitten'

Friday, 3 August 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal is "smitten" with Melanie Griffith's daughter.

The actor has been single for some time, following his break-up from Taylor Swift.

Last year he was spotted flirting with Dakota Johnson - whose parents are Melanie and Don Johnson - and it's been claimed he is now desperate to date her.

"Jake is totally smitten," a source told National Enquirer. "He's convinced they belong together. But she's making him work for it."

Dakota has been linked to another actor called Jordan Masterson recently and it's been claimed she is confused over which man she should go for.

Jake is trying to ensure there is no contest. "He's been calling or texting every day and really laying on the charm," the insider added.

Jake and Dakota are thought to have met at Sting's 60th birthday party last year. They were spotted laughing and joking, with onlookers claiming the blonde model-and-actress was swept off her feet.

© Cover Media

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/jake-gyllenhaal-smitten-16193415.html#ixzz22U9LLlnf
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5522 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:39 pm »
no

;D

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5523 on: August 04, 2012, 12:33:49 am »
I looked her up.  Very cute gal, and looks a lot like Reese.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #5524 on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:21 am »
Meryl and John and any other NY pseudo-stalkers of Jake's cycling place:  you may be in for long wait to catch a glimpse.  >:(
~~~
Jake Gyllenhaal relaxes gym routine

Wednesday Aug 8 2012
Jake Gyllenhaal has given up on "exercising regularly" as his big screen roles don't call for it.
The 31-year-old actor says his gruelling workouts are a thing of the past. Jake admits he does still care about his appearance but has relaxed his exercise routine as his movie roles no longer require such intense preparation.
"I haven't cycled in a long time. I don't run anymore," Jake revealed to Details magazine about his latest film role in An Enemy. "Do I take care of my body and take conditioning seriously? Yes. But exercising regularly doesn't fit the energy of the character I'm playing now."
An Enemy follows a man who seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie.
The Hollywood actor has previously undergone serious physically conditioning to get in shape for his action movies such as police thriller End Of Watch.
Jake spent five months prepping for the 22-day shoot, which was an exhausting time in his life.
"Three nights a week in ride-alongs with cops," Jake recalled about the gruelling regime. "[We had] fight training every morning at a Kenbo Karate dojo, and I got the sh*t kicked out of me. Then [we went to] the shooting range, shooting past each other's heads, with live ammo."
© Cover Media
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5525 on: August 19, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »
Will the Real Jake Gyllenhaal Please Stand Up?

The 31-year-old A-lister, who stars in End of Watch, can be spotted all over town—on a date, riding his bike, feeding parking meters for strangers—and yet his essence is nowhere to be found. Is he the smiling guy next door seen in so many paparazzi shots, the dark philosopher who buries himself deeper in each successive role, or simply a wily, charismatic chameleon? Take your pick.

By Ivan Solotaroff

Photographs by Mark Seliger

September 2012 Issue, Details Magazine

A dozen Jake Gyllenhaals pass by me outside En, the mobbed Japanese bistro where the actor has booked us a table. Some of these doubles are brainy types, a Gyllenhaal staple since Donnie Darko launched him to indie stardom at 20 and most recently seen in the existential sci-fi thriller Source Code. Others mimic the hyper-fit versions of Body by Jake: the ripped Marine of Jarhead, the ex-con of Brothers, the pharma rep who showed so much ass in Love and Other Drugs. There's even a Prince of Persia Gyllenhaal, of the anime abs and shaggy hair. Granted, this is New York City's trendy lower West Village, where the good-looking go to dine on Friday nights. And part of Gyllenhaal's appeal has always been his Everyman-ness. Still, the sheer number of replicants is surprising.

Or maybe it's just me. As Gyllenhaal's body of work grows, he only gets harder to peg. A-lister, art-house thespian, indie king—he's simultaneously all and none of the above, a distinction that's kept him just shy of Leo/Brad one-name status. That's likely to change after this month's End of Watch, in which Gyllenhaal gives a performance, as a South Central L.A. cop, unprecedented in its pure exposure of the man. I actually extend a hand to greet a passing six-footer with the exact buzz cut and MMA-esque physique Gyllenhaal has in the film, until the man's glare tells me this will not be our Brokeback Mountain moment. It's almost a letdown when the genuine Gyllenhaal hops out of a cab—scruffy-bearded, in a blue work shirt, off-brand sneakers, and drab tan chinos that nullify any shot at a memorable first impression.

I understand the beard is for the role—roles, actually—in the movie he's currently filming in Toronto, An Enemy, in which he plays a nerdy history professor obsessed with a vain actor who's his double. But as we order a degustation menu, I start by asking him where the muscle-bound cop of End of Watch has gone. Gyllenhaal has been spending more time in New York recently, and gossip columns had the lifelong fitness nut leading spinning classes at SoulCycle and riding his bike to and from meetings, but—

"I haven't cycled in a long time," he preempts. "Ask me where I run."

"Where do—"

"I don't run anymore. Do I take care of my body and take conditioning seriously? Yes. But exercising regularly doesn't fit the energy of the character I'm playing now."

A beer arrives for him, half of it vanishing in the time it takes me to get the tape recorder going, and as the first three of our ten delicate courses slowly arrive, Gyllenhaal's plates empty fast. A suspiciously large number of beautiful waitresses deliver the respective courses, glancing sideways at him as they linger over descriptions of each dish and continually align fresh sets of chopsticks. That's the only clue I'm sitting with a celebrity.

Gyllenhaal's essentially in character as we meet, though it will take me some time to understand that and what it means to him. Oblivious for now, I remind myself how long his day's been already: a full morning on-set in Toronto, then the flight back to New York, then a battery of meetings right up to our dinner. Tomorrow will be busier: auditioning aspirants for various parts in his American stage debut, If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet, which opens Off Broadway this month, then a late flight back to Toronto for a full Sunday of shooting An Enemy.

It's still not entirely clear to me if he's playing both main characters in the film: the professor and his doppelgänger, the actor. "No," he says, "it's a movie about me meeting myself, but another actor's playing me." He delivers the line with such sincerity, I miss the sarcasm for a second—long enough for the ice to break with Gyllenhaal. Sarcasm normally induces discomfort and introduces distance, especially between people newly met. With Gyllenhaal it somehow does the opposite—he brings you in on the joke, puts you at ease. Is it because he's really that genuine and positive? Whatever the quality is, it's of increasing value to him.

"My whole life," he says, "I'd come to a scene and just ask for something real. I'd say, 'Please, just tell me what's going on. All the research, how your character picks up a fork, it'll all come when we know the truth.'" He's talking about a personal and professional evolution that accelerated during the months of his preproduction involvement in 2011's Source Code. The story—a soldier is enabled by technology to relive eight crucial minutes, over and over, until he gets it right and saves the world—resonated deeply with him. "Now the time's come to turn that on myself"—searching, over and over, for the truth—"and it's 'Game on.'"

End of Watch is the apotheosis of Gyllenhaal's quest—102 minutes of blood-soaked, adrenaline-producing drama propelled by the bond between his Officer Taylor and Taylor's partner, played by Michael C. Pena. The effortlessness of Gyllenhaal's acting has been obvious since Donnie Darko, but nothing is easy about Officer Taylor—or the film.

"I'd envisioned his cop as a locked-down, even-keel guy," says End of Watch's director, David Ayer, who grew up around those cops in South Central. "And as the director, I'm supposed to be the one with the world map. Actors just see the road they're on. But as the shooting progressed, there were so many unexpected things he was giving—it's unbelievable." Gyllenhaal attributes some of that experimentation to the extreme preparation necessary for the film. "Five months, for a 22-day shoot," he recalls. "Three nights a week in ride-alongs with cops. Fight training every morning at a Kenbo Karate dojo, and I got the shit kicked out of me. Then the shooting range, shooting past each other's heads, with live ammo. There's a simulated fire in the movie, but Dave wanted us to feel what that's like, so he had us do a controlled burn."

"What's that?"

"That's a Saturday where me and Michael Pena drive down to Orange County, dress like firemen head-to-toe, and suddenly we're there just sitting in the middle of a burning building."

Cast and crew understood the commitment required for the film, no one more than Gyllenhaal. "Dave told me right off that this was going to affect my soul," he says. "'Friends are going to say, That's the Jake I've always known, but somewhere deep inside, you'll know otherwise.'"

The waiter who brings our fried-chicken main event has served Gyllenhaal before. A good-looking and extremely fit kid, he's apparently had trouble linking the bearded nerd before him to the sex symbol the waitstaff is buzzing about downstairs. He says he's seen one of Gyllenhaal's films. "No, I recognize you. I get it now," he says, but he still seems dubious. "And I still really don't know who you are, either," Gyllenhaal says, smiling. "But it's nice to see you again."

The conversation bleeds into Gyllenhaal's on-set friendships that have endured: At his 31st-birthday party, half the guests were friends of 20 years, the other half LAPD officers he'd recently met. According to Ayer, they were the ones Gyllenhaal talked to all night. "I realized these are some of the best actors I've worked with," Gyllenhaal says. "I do a scene a day, maybe. They do 15 scenes every day—their word for it, crime scene—with much higher stakes."

His mien raises the question of where Gyllenhaal draws the line now: between the personal and the professional, between risk-taking and recklessness, between a challenging next project and a fanciful one.

"Every journey starts with fear," he says. "And I could say that's what I want to embrace now. A real experience. Connection with the people I'm working with, so I'm helping them make something. And I want, overall, to trust what I know is right. There have been many times when I haven't. If that's what you asked, it's what I'm asking myself now: Where is the line? What is the line? There's so much context, it can be almost impossible to find. It comes down to finding the beating heart of a story—what's this really about?—then remaining true to instinct in telling that story." He looks straight at me—no, through me. "And I just had a déj  vu," he says, tearing into his fried chicken.

I mention the physiological link between déj  vu and the exhaustion Gyllenhaal must be feeling, the brain's ability to process—

"No, this had happened," he corrects me, then his volume drops precipitously, "and now it's happened again."

That "moment relived" was at the heart of Gyllenhaal's attraction to Source Code and its eight recurring minutes. It's a microcosm of his life in front of the camera, with take after take offering chances to finally get it right. Gyllenhaal is a storyteller who just happens to work as an actor. He was a child of the industry but not a typical child actor. His father, the director Stephen Gyllenhaal, and his mother, the screenwriter-producer-director Naomi Foner, wanted a normal childhood for him. He first appeared on the big screen at 11 as Billy Crystal's son in City Slickers but couldn't take parts that interfered with his schooling (L.A.'s Harvard-Westlake and then Columbia, where he studied Buddhism and English literature) or his after-school jobs (as a lifeguard and a busboy, sometimes both). Hollywood trappings abounded—Paul Newman taught him to drive a race car, and a young Steven Soderbergh rented the family's garage apartment—but they mostly added up to what he calls "fluency in the filmmaking language."

He got the acting bug from his sister. "Maggie was always performing, and in so many ways. Then I got to watch Martha Plimpton and River Phoenix with Sidney Lumet, rehearsing Running on Empty," says Gyllenhaal, whose mother wrote the Golden Globe-winning screenplay. "I was 7, and had no idea who these people were. But I knew I was witnessing something magical."

That magic was the discovery of what it takes to tell a story. Gyllenhaal (who named his production company Nine Stories, after the J.D. Salinger collection) says that's his true love. "What success really gives you is the freedom to fail and then try again," he says. That's been a trademark throughout his career, for better and/or worse: Gyllenhaal rarely does takes the same way twice, once prompting his Jarhead director, Sam Mendes, to say, "He can be a bit of a pain in the ass. If he gets a bee in his bonnet, he won't let it go…trying too hard with being absolutely brilliant. He's also the least technical actor I know. He's not an actor who's designed to hit marks."

Gyllenhaal's way of keeping it fresh can befuddle costars on occasion. The far more common result, however, becomes clear in watching his catalog. For over a decade, actors have been doing some of their best work opposite him—Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Aniston, Tobey Maguire, Heath Ledger. "It's no accident. Jake takes it all very seriously but also has a very light touch," explains Anne Hathaway, his costar in Love and Other Drugs and Brokeback Mountain. "On Brokeback, my final scene was on the phone with Heath, who was in Venice for Casanova. Jake offered to read Heath's lines. On the last take, he changed the line, ever so slightly. That kicked off something in me, and lo and behold, that's the take in the film."

"I grew up on the other side of the camera," Gyllenhaal says. "And yes, I do love making movies as much as being in them. I love actors, watching what they do, and I do love acting off-camera, and how it helps tell the story. But the camera eventually does turn to you, and then it's a very different question. I don't know if I have the answer to it yet.

"I guess you'll see up in Toronto," he says. "It's me acting against myself."

• • •

"No rehearsal, we just shoot," Denis Villeneuve, the 44-year-old Canadian director of An Enemy, yells across the set, a sprawling former glassworks that's become Toronto's main film studio. Villeneuve and a continuity girl study the monitor in front of us. The shot consists of nothing but Gyllenhaal pacing the living room of a modest apartment. By now, I shouldn't be surprised: He's wearing the dull tan chinos from our dinner.

This morning's scene is simple but pivotal: Adam, the professor, enters his apartment, rushes to his phone for messages, finds none, says "Shit," then hears a knock on the front door he's just entered.

Adam's "double," Anthony, the vain bad-boy actor, is on the other side, and their interaction—to be shot after lunch—will be a crux of the film. Adam meeting Anthony. Jake meeting Jake. Gyllenhaal's impulse is to play it big, trying out various interpretations of Adam's unease as he goes to answer the door. For the next take, Villeneuve asks him to try going smaller, and Gyllenhaal dials it back. This doesn't quite do it, either.

Villeneuve is keeping the cameras rolling, even between takes. "When you let it roll," he says, joining me at the monitor, "the actor can sometimes take you to a space you hadn't thought of. Jake is amazing in those spaces."

Gyllenhaal has positioned himself in front of the camera, giving himself an extreme close-up before the third and final take, his bearded face filling the monitor with one expression of suffering after another. Almost instinctively, his hand rises to cover his mouth in horror. As D.H. Lawrence said, "a young man is afraid of his demon and puts his hand over the demon's mouth sometimes."

Ayers has seen it before, in End of Watch. "That's Jake," he says. "He's a genuinely sweet guy, but he's also got this real darkness, this rage he's running from. All the great actors have it, believe me. It's what you do with it."

As the camera rolls, I see exactly what Gyllenhaal does with it: take after take, each one a manifestation of the horror he's unearthed.

Until he nails it—not with horror but with old-fashioned anxiety. Villeneuve and Gyllenhaal quickly agree it's the best expression. The decision is key, since it will be the take that Gyllenhaal, as Anthony, will be acting against when his two opposing selves meet.

After readying himself to inhabit the part of the vain actor, Gyllenhaal heads off to shoot publicity stills in a nearby room. Flashes go off, and then an imposingly handsome man in a leather jacket and motorcycle boots barrels out with that broad-shouldered, get-the-fuck-out-of-my-way gait such men move with. It takes a second to register it's Gyllenhaal, as Anthony.

Back on-set it is hard to say what's so different about him. Something—everything—seems changed. "Beard's the same," Villeneuve says. "The only difference is that Anthony's hair is higher, and Jake pats it down so it's not so obvious. It's all him—the 'special effect' here is Jake."

"I'm fucking crazy?" says Gyllenhaal as Anthony, walking threateningly toward "Adam," a chest-high foam pad, which he'll grab, jab, or bitch-poke in the chest. "I'm fucking crazy?!" This is still rehearsal, but Gyllenhaal's menace as Anthony is already being calibrated.

A production assistant tells me my ride to the airport is waiting. As I gather my things, a scream comes—"I'm fucking CRAZY?!!"—followed by a thwack of the pad so hard it literally shakes the set, on which quiet suddenly reigns.

As I leave, I see Villeneuve talking to someone at the top of a gangway. Both men slump against the wall, immersed in thought. I start to thank Villeneuve for his hospitality, when the man next to him wishes me a safe flight. Of course, it's Gyllenhaal. He's still in Anthony's clothes, but, deep in reflection, he no longer has that actorly swagger or the violence that was just on display. As I bid him good-bye, I have the strangest feeling I don't have a clue who I'm saying it to.

http://www.details.com/celebrities-entertainment/cover-stars/201209/jake-gyllenhaal-actor-cover

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5526 on: August 26, 2012, 08:31:02 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/theater/jake-gyllenhaal-makes-new-york-stage-debut.html?pagewanted=all

Now, the Next Stage
By PATRICK HEALY
Published: August 23, 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal, right, with the Tony winner Brian F. O’Bryne, rehearsing “If There Is I
Haven’t Found It Yet.”

Jake Gyllenhaal

JAKE GYLLENHAAL made a deal with himself 10 years ago: For every three movies he made, he would perform in a play.

It was a deal he didn’t keep.

He was 21 back then, on a high from his London stage debut as a sensitive slacker in Kenneth Lonergan’s “This Is Our Youth,” the sort of hangdog character that had turned him into an indie darling in movies like “Donnie Darko” and “Lovely & Amazing.” But going off to do plays isn’t part of the Hollywood fast track for young actors still proving themselves at the box office. So Mr. Gyllenhaal tested for the Spider-Man  and Batman  franchises and other roles that might transform him into an action hero or leading man.

What happened? The critically derided disaster movie “The Day After Tomorrow” happened. The much-mocked “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” happened. Acclaimed films happened too, like “Brokeback Mountain” and “Zodiac.” But Mr. Gyllenhaal was uneasy.

“I wasn’t really listening to myself about the kinds of projects I wanted to do,” he said in a recent interview, reflecting on the past decade. “I had to figure out what kind of an actor I wanted to be and feel confident going for that.”

Mr. Gyllenhaal with Anna Paquin in the 2002 London production of “This Is Our Youth.”

He has now come to a few conclusions, and they were evident last month at a table reading for his first outing in New York theater, “If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet,” a dark comedy about an overweight British teenager and her troubled family. The project itself was telling: The play, which will begin performances on Friday from Roundabout Theater Company, is an Off Broadway ensemble work by a little-known writer rather than a famous Broadway drama by a prizewinner like Arthur Miller — the vehicles of choice for Hollywood stars these days.

Hunched over a script beside his cast mates and director, Mr. Gyllenhaal rolled through questions on his mind about a scene in which his character — Uncle Terry, brokenhearted and charmingly roguish — reveals a few of his many problems.

“When was the last time I talked to Rachel?” Mr. Gyllenhaal asked, referring to Terry’s ex-girlfriend. “Did I see Rachel at the funeral, or after?” And then: “I must’ve done something that made her say, ‘I’m tired of this guy.’ What was it?”

These questions, and the many that followed, were the sort that classically trained actors ask as they probe layers of their characters to puzzle out intentions, tones and emotional shades for imbuing a performance. Mr. Gyllenhaal studied at Columbia University for two years before dropping out to become a movie star, and some directors on earlier films, like Ang Lee of “Brokeback Mountain,” have described him as a freestyle actor more than a methodical one.

Mr. Gyllenhaal, who was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar for “Brokeback,” said he still revels in experimenting with his take on characters from scene to scene and performance to performance. But acting rigor is increasingly his goal, and perhaps the respect that comes with it.

“Early in your career it’s hard to know everything for yourself, and asking questions isn’t always a welcome thing in Hollywood, where everyone seems like they know what they’re doing,” he said during an interview over tofu salad and squid sashimi at a Japanese restaurant in the West Village.

“Around the time I hit 30, I asked myself if I was respecting acting as a craft,” he continued, frequently brushing his fingers through his thick hair, free of its black-on-black Yankees cap, “and if I was doing the right projects that deserved my attention and where I’m learning in a way that you might not feel at 15. So now it’s like I look at acting more as building little delicate cricket cages, with care and more thought.”

In the past 18 months Mr. Gyllenhaal parted ways with his longtime manager, signed with a new agency and began devoting more time to selecting and preparing for projects. He recently wrapped a role as a history teacher in another coming film, “An Enemy,” for which he e-mailed frequently with one of his old Columbia professors about the art of delivering classroom lectures. He spent five months observing and training with Los Angeles police officers for his new movie, the September release “End of Watch,” in which he plays a hotshot cop with street smarts in South Central Los Angeles.

“End of Watch” with Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña.

Mr. Gyllenhaal went on repeated ride-alongs, witnessing gang shootouts, and immersed himself in weapons and martial arts training. He also gave feedback on casting and was on set constantly for scenes he wasn’t in and to watch dailies. His commitment to “End of Watch” was so complete that John Lesher, one of its producers, decided after filming to make Mr. Gyllenhaal an executive producer. (Mr. Gyllenhaal comes from a family of successful filmmakers: His father, Stephen, is a director; his mother, Naomi, is a screenwriter; and his sister, Maggie, is an Oscar-nominated actress.)

Mr. Lesher had long been an admirer of Mr. Gyllenhaal’s but only came around to casting him after “Jake mounted a campaign to meet with us and be in the movie.” Asked if Mr. Gyllenhaal was trying to prove something with “End of Watch,” Mr. Lesher continued:

“I just think it’s a very grown-up part, and something very different from Jake’s own personal life and upbringing, and we all wanted the movie to feel as real as possible. I don’t think we’ve seen all that Jake’s capable of, and this is a good example of how he’s trying to show all that he can do.” (The two men plan to work next on a movie about gambling addicts in the South.)

Mr. Gyllenhaal was careful to say that he didn’t think he needed a career reboot, but the fact remains that his continued celebrity is more about his raw talent and good looks than a proven record of hit films. Hollywood hasn’t seemed entirely sure what to do with him, and Mr. Gyllenhaal sounds at peace with that, saying he wouldn’t want to be pigeonholed as an actor at a time in his life when he is still finding his way.

“What I loved most about working in London, in the theater, there was a real appreciation of potential,” he said. “No one comes out of the gate 100 percent perfect. No one. I have a great sense of comfort onstage because I know taking risks is appreciated.”

Growing up in Los Angeles, with frequent trips to New York to see relatives, Mr. Gyllenhaal was a theatergoer long before he stood on a stage himself. Sitting in nosebleed seats as a boy, he was dazzled by Patti LuPone vamping through the opening number “I Get a Kick Out of You” in “Anything Goes” for Lincoln Center Theater; he then promptly fell asleep. From other musicals he graduated to serious drama like “Angels in America,” though mostly he went to school plays featuring Maggie, now 34.

Both Gyllenhaals live in New York now — Maggie in Brooklyn, Jake downtown in Manhattan — and Ms. Gyllenhaal has had high profile turns in Chekhov plays at Classic Stage Company in recent years. Mr. Gyllenhaal saw those and said he came away envious of his sister being exhausted and enthralled by theater work.

As with “End of Watch,” Mr. Gyllenhaal aggressively pursued a role in this new play — a bit strange for a celebrity, given that many theater producers are desperate to cast one, but perhaps not so unusual for an actor determined to reorient his career. Mr. Gyllenhaal came across “If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet” a couple of years ago, after attending a play reading of a friend and asking around for new scripts to read. He flew to London to meet with the writer, Nick Payne, and continued talking about options for staging the work in the United States.

Then last winter Todd Haimes, the Roundabout artistic director, saw Mr. Payne’s critically acclaimed “Constellations” in London; he looked into mounting that work at Roundabout, but it wasn’t available, so he read “If There Is” and heard that Mr. Gyllenhaal was interested. They held a reading in March; Mr. Haimes said he quickly offered to stage the play, and Mr. Gyllenhaal enthusiastically embraced the idea of doing it Off Broadway, where celebrities seldom tread these days.

Broadway is more the province of movie stars, with its higher profile, bigger paychecks and eligibility for Tony Awards. (Off Broadway plays like Mr. Gyllenhaal’s are not eligible for Tonys.) Usually young movie stars come to Broadway and choose renowned works; Andrew Garfield did “Death of a Salesman” last season, while Scarlett Johansson won a Tony for “A View from the Bridge,” and Katie Holmes played a featured role in “All My Sons.”

Mr. Payne said that he and Mr. Gyllenhaal first bonded over the staccato structure of Terry’s dialogue. While the other three characters in the play are given to well-formed sentences and occasional speeches, Terry speaks mostly in fragments and leans frequently into pauses as he struggles to express deep-seated anger and self-loathing.

“Jake really got the rhythms and desperation in the dialogue, and its switches — the way a few words could be heartsick, and then there would be a period, and then the next few words could be furious,” he said.

Terry is far from a glamorous character, though he has a bad-boy appeal not unlike another beer-guzzling layabout named Uncle Terry: Mark Ruffalo’s character in Mr. Lonergan’s movie “You Can Count on Me.” But Mr. Gyllenhaal’s Terry is a rougher sort. He turns on a dime in several pivotal scenes with his niece, Anna, who is being bullied at school because of her weight.

The actress playing Anna, Annie Funke, said that the emotional intensity of rehearsals had been eased for her by Mr. Gyllenhaal’s kindness. Recently, she said, they were working on a scene in which Terry is giving Anna a hard time about her weight and sulkiness. In an acting exercise suggested by the director, Michael Longhurst, Mr. Gyllenhaal touched or poked Ms. Funke every time he said something to her, to physicalize the psychological effect of taunting. Ms. Funke eventually broke down in tears.

“I just reached a breaking point because I hadn’t quite realized before, until Jake was poking me, what it felt like to be picked on and bullied and how all of that must make Anna feel,” Ms. Funke said. “I was just completely overwhelmed. And Jake grabbed me and hugged me, and we finished the scene. He has looked out for me completely.”

It was Terry’s capacity for cruelty that appealed to Mr. Gyllenhaal most of all. “The intentions of Terry are very different from anything I’ve played before, especially his vicious side,” he said. “It intrigued me so much, and that was the sign. I want to come home at the end of the day and be wiped out and feel I’ve torn my heart out from acting and feel fulfilled. At this point I don’t have the desire to do anything other than projects that make me feel that way.”

Also posted in the Brokie Social Events (members only) thread, 9/2012 NYC Gathering: "If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet" with Jake Gyllenhaal!
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,49867.msg637419/topicseen.html#msg637419
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5527 on: August 26, 2012, 09:17:32 am »

http://www.details.com/celebrities-entertainment/cover-stars/201209/jake-gyllenhaal-actor-cover

Will the Real Jake Gyllenhaal Please Stand Up?
Details Magazine
By Ivan Solotaroff
September 2012 Issue

A dozen Jake Gyllenhaals pass by me outside En, the mobbed Japanese bistro where the actor has booked us a table. Some of these doubles are brainy types, a Gyllenhaal staple since Donnie Darko launched him to indie stardom at 20 and most recently seen in the existential sci-fi thriller Source Code. Others mimic the hyper-fit versions of Body by Jake: the ripped Marine of Jarhead,  the ex-con of Brothers,  the pharma rep who showed so much ass in Love and Other Drugs.  There's even a Prince of Persia  Gyllenhaal, of the anime abs and shaggy hair. Granted, this is New York City's trendy lower West Village, where the good-looking go to dine on Friday nights. And part of Gyllenhaal's appeal has always been his Everyman-ness. Still, the sheer number of replicants is surprising.

(....)

A beer arrives for him, half of it vanishing in the time it takes me to get the tape recorder going, and as the first three of our ten delicate courses slowly arrive, Gyllenhaal's plates empty fast. A suspiciously large number of beautiful waitresses deliver the respective courses, glancing sideways at him as they linger over descriptions of each dish and continually align fresh sets of chopsticks. That's the only clue I'm sitting with a celebrity.

I went to EN a three or four times in 2010 - 2011, and for a while became a bit obsessed (before another obsession took hold, as they will do).
EN is very beautiful, even striking, looking like a Japanese restaurant in a Matrix -type movie, and the food can be amazing. I love the fish, and I even like the VERY unusual and supposedly special tofu selections (tofu not  being one of my addictions).

The Details  writer was wrong about one thing (at least): the "suspiciously large number of beautiful waitresses deliver the respective courses, glancing sideways at him as they linger over descriptions of each dish and continually align fresh sets of chopsticks. That's the only clue I'm sitting with a celebrity." Believe it or not, that's just the way they do it at EN if  you snag a two or four person table rather than the big square bar in the center of the very high ceilinged main room. If you get one of those tables, and yes, if you order a ten course meal, the service is amazing in that particlularly Japanese kind of amazing, whether you are a celebrity or not. It's pretty much worth it!

The waiter who brings our fried-chicken main event has served Gyllenhaal before. A good-looking and extremely fit kid, he's apparently had trouble linking the bearded nerd before him to the sex symbol the waitstaff is buzzing about downstairs. He says he's seen one of Gyllenhaal's films. "No, I recognize you. I get it now," he says, but he still seems dubious. "And I still really don't know who you are, either," Gyllenhaal says, smiling. "But it's nice to see you again."

Hmmm. Maybe if Jake goes there often enough, might be definitely  worth it!

::) ;D

http://enjb.com/
http://enjb.com/menu/
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/en-japanese-brasserie/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/en-japanese-brasserie-new-york

EN Japanese Brasserie
Critics' Pick
435 Hudson Street (between Leroy and Morton)
New York, NY 10014
212-647-9196

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5528 on: September 03, 2012, 02:12:42 am »
Look who's earning a little on the side with advertising eye masks! ;)

I was looking for eye masks on ebay and the first thing I saw was the above pic. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For comparison: original and photoshopped version:

And no, I didn't buy from them. ;D :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5529 on: September 03, 2012, 03:26:08 pm »
The pics are gone....

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre