Author Topic: The BetterMost Daily Diary  (Read 53733 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The BetterMost Daily Diary
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2007, 05:50:49 am »
I went out this evening for dinner with my friend G. and four others of her friends.  We were celebrating her completion of graduate school.  She worked so hard, very disciplined about balancing everything else around studying for two and a half years.  It seems like it wasn't that long ago that she was agonizing over whether to go back to school or not, and now she's done. 

Her daughter is three weeks younger than my daughter.  In the last four years I've raised a daughter.  In the same four years, G. has raised a daughter and gotten a master's degree in a field she believes in.   Comparison late at night when I am tired is not a good idea.

Tomorrow there will be seven of us here for dinner - a vegan, two vegetarians, one person who doesn't think it's food unless it's meat, two children and one who weighs and measures everything she eats, and requires that nothing (including cooking oil) be mixed with any other category during cooking.  So I'm making steamed brown and wild rice, separating some out for the measurer and the vegan, and then mixing melted Cambozola cheese into the rest (becomes like a risotto, without all the stirring), roasted summer vegetables (cooking spray on them doesn't count as oil), a green salad with a variety of optional stuff like cashews for people to put in it, and Rainier cherries if there are any left in the stores, otherwise some other kind of fruit. 

When I invited my friends, I had a picture of us all being just in the backyard, but it looks like it's going to be raining and we'll need to be inside.  I am going to try to not clean, clean, clean to get ready for them.  I'm also going to try not to worry, worry, worry about not cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.  :) 

I can do most of this very simple dinner before they get here, and I want to just be part of the hanging out once they're here.

I am lucky to have a house, a yard, a family, friends, the money to buy $16 a pound cheese and Rainier cherries, rain that we need, a recliner (that I'm in now), a laptop (that I'm on now), a mother in pretty good health, even though far away, and that I didn't have to be studying relentlessly for the last two and a half years.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2007, 12:40:33 pm »
I am lucky to have a house, a yard, a family, friends, the money to buy $16 a pound cheese and Rainier cherries, rain that we need, a recliner (that I'm in now), a laptop (that I'm on now), a mother in pretty good health, even though far away, and that I didn't have to be studying relentlessly for the last two and a half years. 

Good attitude, Elle!! Have a fun dinner party! Sounds delicious! Are ya'll gonna play games afterwards---or just visit?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2007, 11:24:16 pm »
Good attitude, Elle!! Have a fun dinner party! Sounds delicious! Are ya'll gonna play games afterwards---or just visit?

We talked, and took turns playing with the kids.  Also, we moved a couch while we had the extra people.  :)  Tomorrow we sort of have a repeat going to happen, this time 6 of my husband's family are coming over for the afternoon, age range from 11 to 83.  It's still raining, so we'll all be inside, probably.  Getting out the games will be a good idea, thanks.  :)

injest

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2007, 09:15:32 pm »
Last night a friend called me and told me she was hauling her horse up to the arena to ride...did I want her to load up one for me. For a change I didn't overthink it and I told her to go ahead....I would meet her up there.

She brought her old mare for me. We rode around the arena....talked, drank sodas sitting on the horses backs. Pretended to have a show and basically acted like a couple of teenagers instead of two forty somethings.

We were the only ones there..and it is out on a backroad so we had privacy. I had such fun.

I am reminded today of the line in the book. Memory of last night and that carefree feeling has suffused my day with a sense of happiness.

having said that...right now...I am REALLY really really missing Roland. Hope  he is having a good time!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2007, 12:21:17 pm »
I am reminded today of the line in the book. Memory of last night and that carefree feeling has suffused my day with a sense of happiness.  

What a great day!

having said that...right now...I am REALLY really really missing Roland. Hope  he is having a good time!  

From the pictures--it looks like all Brokies are having a good time.

My town has no water today!!!! Those I've called have no idea why, and the water office number has been busy every time I've tried to call. You really miss your water when you can't get it!!
 :P

OK--after 3-4 hours of no water---we got it back. YAY!! I still don't know what happened---I'm just happy it has been restored. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:27:50 pm by Shasta542 »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2007, 01:38:52 pm »
Yup, Water is very important!!

Callum is feeling a little queezy today..I hope he feels better after his current cat nap... and I have lots of housework to do!

My friend has just been offered a new job - I'm so glad - she really needed a boost.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2007, 02:33:43 am »
I just got back from Alberta today and the house needs cleaning, and the car needs to go to the shop for maintenance, but first I need to clean it out.  I love staying in hotels, and going out to eat with friends.  No one made my dinner for me tonight, and I ate it all alone.  No one even came around to refill my water glass....:(

Vacation is fun.  But actually, I think part of my downness right now is being so tired from the vacation adventure.

The last morning (yesterday) my sister and her boyfriend arrived and had breakfast with me, Meryl, Paul, and Truman.  It was nice having my worlds collide.  I was so proud to introduce my sister to my friends, and my friends to my sister.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2007, 07:36:51 am »
me, Meryl, Paul, and Truman

Sounds like a great way to spend breakfast!  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2007, 08:06:59 am »
My friend - who I met while trekkin in Cuba - she has ME and was doing the trek for the ME charity - sent me an email today - I don't speak to her regulalry so was shocked to hear her news - but I thought perhaps you guys could throw a wish into the air for her and her family too.

Hope you don't mind this email, it's an email of desperation and a plea for help.

My sister Sophia (29 years old), some of you already know has a rare form of cervical cancer. The last few weeks she's been having chemo, the strongest kind and at the maximum dosage, but the cancer has still been spreading very aggressively.

We were told yesterday that there's not much that can be done for her. We'll find out on Thursday if her cancer is "officially" terminal, or if they'll still be able to attempt radiotherapy - but they made it quite clear that even if they can try radiotherapy, the chances of it working are almost nothing.

So the only thing that can save my sister is a miracle. I've heard of people being healed of all sorts of things, including people whose cancer has miraculously disappeared, and we need one of these miracles for my sister. So please, even if you only have an ounce of faith, pray for my sister - you can do it while your sitting at your desks, it doesn't need to take more than a few seconds. And if you know anyone who might pray for her, please pass on this email to them.

Thank you

px
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2007, 03:57:36 pm »
Kelda, I'm sendin up a prayer...