Author Topic: The BetterMost Daily Diary  (Read 53744 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The BetterMost Daily Diary
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2007, 04:56:42 pm »
Wow! Good for you, Meryl!  :D

I had a good day today, too, because I fixed a little trip to Amsterdam with my family. Yeah, I'm going to meet Milli (from Edmonton!) in Amsterdam when you guys are in Alberta. Ain't that crazy?  :)

That's so cool!!! I'll bet you both will have a wonderful time!!! :)

Hope I get to meet some of you all sometime.

Today has been a pretty good day so far. I went to a big art fair, I saw a lot nice paintings, a lot of inspiration.  Then I went to have my tires checked cause my car has been vibrating, and I didn't want anything to fall off when I was driving.  For a change, they didn't try to rip me off.  They just said I needed new front tires, which I knew I needed, and it fixed the problem.

The real cool thing was that I had two real conversations with people while I was waiting.  First with the guy who was working there who was really nice.  Then with a guy who was also waiting, he turned out to be a musician on his way to a show later today.  He used lived it Boston, and I told him I lived there too, and he must have been real surprised that I knew all about the rock clubs and the scene in Boston, cause I probably don't really look like that now.

Anyway, it is fun when strangers talk to you, it doesn't really happen much here, and it is really cool to find out you have things in common.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 05:30:18 pm »
"National Lampoon's Alberta Vacation!"  Good one, Jeff.  That WAS a doozy of a dream, Meryl.

I was just at a kid's birthday party, and once again was aghast at the rough and rude way I sometimes see parents treat their really little kids.  The kids were mostly my daughter's age, 4, still learning EVERYTHING.  Manners, kindness, common sense, everything.  Most times I have pretty much patience with her - if she forgets what kind of behavior is reasonable in a situation, I remind her.  Sometimes she needs several reminders.  But BLAM, some parents just seem to blast their kids, good kids, sweet kids, who just can't retain that you don't squeal, or grab, or whatever.  They're LITTLE.  The poor birthday girl was made to go into 2 of those stupid, fucking "Time outs" while her friends were playing, for such small misdemeanors.  Sometimes it just seems like parents want to assert who's boss.  Not for the good of the child, but for the domineering ego of the parent.

So I left the party, and will go pick my daughter and husband when they call.

I just want to say, that there was no violence, just power trips, mind games and domination.  Things fully sanctioned by society.  :( 

I try to treat her with respect with every word out of my mouth, and her manners are just as good as, and sometimes better than, those kids who are being bullied by their giant parents.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 05:37:14 pm »
"National Lampoon's Alberta Vacation!"  Good one, Jeff.  That WAS a doozy of a dream, Meryl.

Anybody named Griswold going on the Pilgrimage?  ;D

I was just at a kid's birthday party, and once again was aghast at the rough and rude way I sometimes see parents treat their really little kids.  The kids were mostly my daughter's age, 4, still learning EVERYTHING.  Manners, kindness, common sense, everything.  Most times I have pretty much patience with her - if she forgets what kind of behavior is reasonable in a situation, I remind her.  Sometimes she needs several reminders.  But BLAM, some parents just seem to blast their kids, good kids, sweet kids, who just can't retain that you don't squeal, or grab, or whatever.  They're LITTLE.  The poor birthday girl was made to go into 2 of those stupid, fucking "Time outs" while her friends were playing, for such small misdemeanors.  Sometimes it just seems like parents want to assert who's boss.  Not for the good of the child, but for the domineering ego of the parent.

So I left the party, and will go pick my daughter and husband when they call.

I just want to say, that there was no violence, just power trips, mind games and domination.  Things fully sanctioned by society.  :( 

I try to treat her with respect with every word out of my mouth, and her manners are just as good as, and sometimes better than, those kids who are being bullied by their giant parents.

It just shocks me the way I see some parents treat their little ones in stores and other public places. Yelling, slapping, jerking them around, using bad language. Then I reflect that these so-called "parents" probably didn't have any proper raising either, and it comes as no surprise to me how violence gets propagated from one generation to the next.  :-\  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2007, 09:33:12 pm »
I am 41 years old....snuck out to the flooded river by myself, kicked off my shoes and hiked up my skirt...and WADED in the water!!! Chased minnows and dragonflies....the water was warm in the very shallow areas but SO cool and wonderful in the deeper areas...then I put my shoes back on and went to finish my errands.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 12:50:51 am »
If you read my diary post yesterday--you may recall that when I went to get my friend's dogs (she is going on vacation) I also succumbed to her pleas that I take her little orphaned mice.

WARNING--I posted a picture below!! If you are squeamish or get woozy easily--like I did at first LOL---skip to the next post.

I put a penny in their pen so you can see size better.

They also have a cloth to lie on, but I picked it up to take their picture because they hide in it.

I had just fed them, so they were awake and moving around.

Here they are, the tiny little things:

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 12:53:22 am »
I am 41 years old....snuck out to the flooded river by myself, kicked off my shoes and hiked up my skirt...and WADED in the water!!! Chased minnows and dragonflies....the water was warm in the very shallow areas but SO cool and wonderful in the deeper areas...then I put my shoes back on and went to finish my errands.

;D ;D ;D ;D

You are a girl who knows how to have some fun, Jess!! That's great---I'd love to be 41 again!!!!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2007, 01:05:17 am »
You are a girl who knows how to have some fun, Jess!! That's great---I'd love to be 41 again!!!!!
'

this from a woman nursing baby MICE!!

I found some baby mice one time..... ;D

but I didn't FEED them...*ahem*

*slips out the door quickly before anyone can ask what she DID do with them*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2007, 01:11:58 am »
I'd rather look at a pic of tiny micro-mice, than imagine sn*kes in the river with the minnows.  It was a lovely story til that popped into my head.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2007, 01:14:43 am »
I was cranky most of the day.  Took a nap and woke up even crankier.  Ugh.  Went to see a friend, am much better now.  And am going to go to bed.  Been staying up too late.  I am grateful for so many aspects of BetterMost.  The Dave Cullen site is down, and I feel for those people, because I know what it's like when I can't get into my home here.  'Night.

injest

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 01:15:21 am »
I'd rather look at a pic of tiny micro-mice, than imagine sn*kes in the river with the minnows.  It was a lovely story til that popped into my head.

pffft! no Sn*kes!! the water was covering a parking lot. I could see the bottom for yards and yards around me!

there was a worm...but I rescued him and put him on the dry ground!