Author Topic: The Cheapest Person I Know  (Read 11843 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Cheapest Person I Know
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:57 pm »
I have just remembered the cheapest person I ever met. In fact she was just a plain tight wad. Back when I was at university, many moons ago, I had the misfortune to share a bedsit with the tightest human I have ever known.
The 2nd place we shared was an attic bedsit and it was so bloody cold in the winter, I used to go to bed in my clothes.I could not bear to bare my body. A glass of water left out would freeze. It was however in a lovely part of town and overlooking a park.
We had one small electric fire which ran off a meter and into which we had to feed an obscene amount of money. I started noticing that it always seemed to be my time to feed the meter, which really pissed me off. So being a stubborn mule it got that I would freeze rather than put money in the meter.
We used to buy food alternate weeks and surprise surprise all the expensive stuff, coffee etc seemed to run out on my watch. The water tank was always cold when it was my turn for a bath. She never had any change for the meter, when it died in the middle of cooking.I could go on but you probably get the picture.
I eventually gave up and moved into a real flea pit in ghetto land, where at least the other students were one in, all in. What was lacking in decor was more than made up by the good spirit in the place. Happy days when a pan of lentil curry lasted all week and hangovers about an hour !!!!

This is why I love it here, I had not thought of my student days for years. !! :)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
I would never eat anything that had the slightest amount of mould on it or near it. Just because you cannot see the green colour, doesn't mean that the mould is not there.

Bingo.  I used to do the same until I took a science class and saw up close how the mold's tendrils snake all over food/cheese, etc. before it can be seen with the naked eye.  Something has a spot of mold?  In the trash it goes.  Bread goes in the freezer.  Keeps for a long time.

Cheapest person I knew was my lesbian roommate in college.  I was sick with strep and decided to cook myself a meal at the house since I was too sick to go out.  She saw me use a shake or two of a spice she had in her cabinet and complained to my sister that "I was going to replace that, right?"  She saw me use the guest towels that she had in the guest bathroom - "my" bathroom' in the house - and complained 'Those were for guests."  So I washed them.  She both kept them and made me buy her new ones as well. 

She didn't like the cat hair that got on the comforter in my area of the house and so I promised to wash it and get the hair off.  I washed it at the laundromat and made sure the hair was brushed out.  She said that wasn't good enough and made me dry clean it as well.

My cat knocked over half a can of paint in her garage.  I cleaned it up and offered to buy another can of paint.  She said no problem, she'd buy it and I could pay her back.  She bought an expensive brand from a paint store instead of the Walmart brand that had been knocked over..

I got fed up and once, let her watch me eat some cereal out of her box of cereal that was only half-full.  She saw me and asked if I was going to replace it.  I said sure, no problem.  So I went to the store, bought her brand of cereal, came back to the house and in front of her, tore open the new box, poured half of it out into a baggie and resealed the box.  "Here," I said, "Here's the half-box of cereal I owe you."

She threw me out when the lease was up.  :laugh:

It was worth it though.

injest

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 10:52:28 pm »
We had a bloke stay at our house one time, to house sit while we went away for a week. I told him he could use my car while we were away.

The car had a full tank of petrol when we left, which usually lasts me a two or three weeks running in and out to town.

When we got home, the tank was bone dry, and then the "friend" house sitter told me he had had to put $20 worth in it as well, and asked me for the bloody $20. When I questioned him, as my car runs on the smell of an oily rag, he informed me that he had gone to visit friends some 150 miles away for the weekend, while he was supposed to be house sitting our place...

Told him in no uncertain terms to "piss off"......

there is some nerve!!

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 09:02:19 am »
I agree with Laura......saving things, or hoarding things is not cheap, its more like re-cycling, or thrifty, and its a good habit to be in.

Now cheap, thats when you insult the generosity of people, by leaving your wallet at home, or using all my gas.

My eldest brother is so good at that, here's me on the bones of a*se and I have had to buy him coffee and cake, I mean what person time and time again leaves his wallet at home. Grrrh

Okay I confess to the bread thing, waste not want not is what my Mum said though she'd probably fleece me if she knew I did that with bread . I always save shoes boxes, they great for separating socks and undies in drawers.

My frugality extends to aftershave, I make sure I go through duty free and use their aftershave, I do buy some every couple of months. Calvin Klein Euphoria is just the best ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 10:55:43 am »
Here's an idea. If you ever want to insult a tightwad, try saying to him:

"You're so cheap you reuse mouthwash."

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 11:29:21 am »
Here's an idea. If you ever want to insult a tightwad, try saying to him:

"You're so cheap you reuse mouthwash."

;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection