Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 91178 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2009, 01:06:25 pm »
Just finished reading No Apparent Danger, the story of two volcanic disasters in Colombia in 1985 and 1993.

The book details two stories.

1) the near hopelessness poor countries have in saving their people from volcanic disasters.  In 1985, Colombia had no vulcanologists, but they had volcanoes and they had no money in which to fund a properly run agency to study them. 

The book details the Colombian scientists' difficulty of getting equipment that actually worked to monitor the mountains, the harder difficulty of getting people who knew how to read and interpret what their equipment was telling them and trying to stop the local poor people from trooping up the mountainside to steal the equipment to sell for scrap.

I was shocked at how long it takes one government to ask another government for help when there isn't any current danger or disaster - it takes months.  The Colombians had requested technical advice and visits from the USGS (world renown for their expertise).

Once, one of the head USGS scientists came and gave recommendations to the Colombians on one of their active volcanoes.  He advised

a) restricting tourism
b) adding security to protect the monitoring equipment
c) moving the radio towers off the mountain
d) lighting the local airport in case a disaster did come so that support from the air could land

Needless to say, the Colombians didn't act on his advice.  The Colombian scientists were aghast that Americans would make recommendations that cost money!

So when the disaster did come, needless to say, tourists were killed, half the radio towers were destroyed, etc. and the local people blamed the scientists because the mountain had been "fine" up until they started moving equipment on it.  This obviously made the mountain "mad".  So the blame went to the scientists.

It makes me sad how such poor countries basically don't have the money to save their own people.  Despite scientists' advice on relocating populaces or making evacuation plans, their advice will go unheeded because the governments don't have the money to spend on them and the populace has nowhere to go.  Their lives and means of a living are tied to the land and so many can't leave.

So the solution is that the volcano will eventually wipe out the lands and the people on them, solving both problems.  :(

The book also

2)  tells the story of the hijacking of the last disaster, in which an unbalanced, arrogant scientist, unable to abandon his pet theory which did not work, scoffing at safety gear, ignoring proven warning signs, led 14 fellow scientists - into the active volcano.  Nine were killed when the volcano blew.

Surviving the blast, this scientist reached the U.S. first and held press conferences and interviews, describing himself as the lone survivor and taking credit for having warned his fellow scientists about the danger.  He urged one of his graduate students to copy another man's work (I guess it isn't plagiarizing if the other work isn't published) describing the warning signs and got him to publish first, leaving the man whose worked they based their paper on and had actually predicted two volcanic eruptions, out in the cold, his work unpublishable due to this academic theft.

The book was also an attempt to get out the knowledge of this man's misdeeds.

Sad, all the way around.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:40:15 pm by delalluvia »

retropian

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28:45 am »

I have just finished re-reading an old favourite of mine – The Last of the Wine  by Mary Renault. It was first published in 1956 and is the first of her historical novels set in Ancient Greece. Many believe it to be her greatest novel. Because I have such an emotional connection to this book, it is difficult for me to describe it in a detached, clinical manner. Suffice to say that Ms Renault’s descriptive evocation of Ancient Greece is breathtaking beautiful in the extreme. It is a book to be savoured slowly and re-read regularly. The twist at the end always brings me undone and I’m sure it always will, no matter how many times I read it.

Here is an abridged version of what Wikipedia has to say about The Last of the Wine:

The first person narrator is Alexias, a noble Athenian youth, who becomes a noted beauty in the city and a champion runner. The teenager Alexias falls in love with Lysis, a young man in his 20's, who is a champion athlete and a student of Socrates. The core of the novel is the relationship between the two, following their life together in sport, love, peace and war.

Socrates also figures prominently, as both men become his students and his philosophy is much discussed. Also characterized in the novel are Plato and several figures from his Dialogues, who were Socrates' students. Another historical figure who figures in the story, albeit mostly off-stage, is Alcibiades, the Athenian general who flees Athens on a charge of sacrilege and sells his services to other city-states, finally becoming a general serving  Sparta and thus becoming partly responsible for Athens' destruction.

In time, Lysis marries. His wife views Alexias favorably and encourages the continuation of her husband's relationship with him. By then Athens has been defeated by Sparta in the Peloponnesian War and Alexias and Lysis take part in the democratic rebellion of Thrasybulus against the Spartan-imposed tyrannical regime of Athens.

The Last of the Wine  discusses the mores and culture of Ancient Greece, including symposia (drinking parties), the treatment of women, the importance of athletic, military and philosophical training among young men, marriage customs and daily life in war and peace.

You inspired me to read it once again. Perhaps it's a function of my getting older, but I find new wisdom here with every reading. I first read it perhaps twenty years ago or more, and in retrospect I don't think I understood very much, I just liked the story. Now, it seems much more; how to be.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »
Reading Misquoting Jesus again.

It just boggles the mind how anyone can possibly imagine that the books of the bible are the true word of god or they are what was originally written in any way, shape or form.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:52 am »
Hey, Jane Austen fans! I read in this morning's newspaper that last spring's publishing hit, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is now being followed up with the somewhat more alliterative Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

retropian

« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:29 am »
Hey, Jane Austen fans! I read in this morning's newspaper that last spring's publishing hit, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is now being followed up with the somewhat more alliterative Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters.  ;D

I am about 2/3rd the way through "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It's friggin brilliant! I hope it gets the "Masterpiece Theater" treatment. Maybe Colin Firth can reprise his role as Darcy, or if he's to old, maybe he can be Mr. Bennet. I'm looking forward to reading "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters". What's next "The Wolfman of Mansfield Park"?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2009, 02:24:55 pm »
I am reading The Last Studebaker by Robin Hemley

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
I am about 2/3rd the way through "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It's friggin brilliant! I hope it gets the "Masterpiece Theater" treatment. Maybe Colin Firth can reprise his role as Darcy, or if he's to old, maybe he can be Mr. Bennet. I'm looking forward to reading "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters". What's next "The Wolfman of Mansfield Park"?

I should read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm sure that if Lizzie Bennet can hold her own against Mr. Darcy, she can handle zombies.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »
Just finished and enjoyed tremendously

Under the Tuscan Sun, Bella Tuscany and Bringing Home Tuscany by Frances Mayes - closest I'm going to get to Italy for a while  :P

and

A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence by Peter Mayle

When Hollywood makes a movie (Under the Tuscan Sun and A Good Year) based on these kind of books, they always make the hero a single, beautiful person with some issues and a lot of money who buys this magical place, falls in love with the country, the people, themselves and finally their soulmate.

Guess books about staid middle-aged married couples who have a lot of money to buy multiple properties abroad who are nearing retirement don't make good movie fodder...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »
Just finished reading

Tattoo Machine - Tall tales, true stories and My life in Ink by Jeff Johnson

Very well written book.  And as usual when the side roads of society are revealed, you find heartbreaking stories of marginalized people on the edge of life and sanity, the 'crazies', the junkies, those so alone they gradually abandon all hope as well as truly scary stories of abuse, crime and sociopathy that are out there.  And you also find surprising compassion from those who try to help those who cannot help themselves.

Also makes you want to think twice whenever you go into a tattoo parlor.  ;)

Insightful, moving (I'm still deeply disturbed by one description of abuse the author related about himself), coarse, blunt and humorous.  Worth the read.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »
"Mila 18" by Leon Uris

Over the past 4 years, in the process of being made and released as a feature film by Harvey Weinstein

http://troysbucket.blogspot.com/2007/09/mila-18.html

I have been waiting for years for Hollywood to get their act together and make the film adaptation of the book Mila 18 by Leon Uris. I love reading books especially fiction but there have been only two books, in my 30 years, that I have read more than once and Mila 18 was one of them. This is a story about the invasion of Warsaw in Poland by the Nazis. The imagery of the Polish army, or Ulany army, charging into battle on horseback against the German Panzer tanks. I've had this vision in my head for years, the old world vs. the technological might of the Nazis. It would probably cost a fortune to film but damn what an amazing thing to see. The story also moves past the devastating loss of the Ulany brigade and the beginning of the Warsaw ghetto where a handful of Jews stand up to the Nazi army using the underground black market to revolt against their captors in an attempt to escape. It is a little different from our normal casting calls but it's one that I think could be a tour de force film and really show a different side to the Jews in occupied Poland during World War II.