Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 90886 times)

Dagi

Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »
Here's some great summer reading:  Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin.

It's sort of an epilogue to the six, very popular Tales of the City books that he wrote in the 70s and 80s.  (The first three were turned into TV miniseries with Olympia Dukakis and Laura Linney.)  The original stories were written in old-fashioned serial form in the San Francisco Chronicle, one little chapter a day, later compiled into books.  I have a beat-up legal file full of clippings that would become Further Tales of the City.

I loved Michael Tolliver Lives, and the Tales of the City, too, read them one right after the other when I had to stay in bed because of premature labour and needed some light, amusing stuff.

The last book I finished was Maurice, a really great novel written by e. M. Forster many decades ago, about three gay/bi men in England 1914 and their coming to terms with their sexuality (one of the most beautiful love stories I´ve ever read).

Just now I´m reading the Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy, a real classic, and I love the dry humor of Douglas Adams.
I should definitely spend more time reading, and less in front of the computer  ::).

Dagi

injest

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:35:02 pm »
"To love without an echo is the death knell of the soul. Foolishly, the soulless body grows anyway, marches into the future without its nucleus, without its self, bonsaied by this echoless love."

Chosen by a Horse
Susan Richards

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:33 pm »
I just finished a Japanese mystery set in 17th century Japan.    It was called Red Chrysanthemum: A Thriller and was written by Laura Joh Rowland.                                               

She's a good writer and definitely knows alot about Japanese history.  Tokugawa Japan seems to have had alot of man to adolescent male sex based on her books! It's usually the villain who engages in this practice.  I guess it was common in Tokugawa Japan.

I advise starting from the beginning as starting midway might be confusing.    The major characters are the same throughout the books.

I've certainly learned alot about Japanese history from reading her books. 

Anybody heard about the THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB movie.  Does your bookgroup imitate the characters in Jane Austen novels. Sounds like an interesting concept for a movie ;)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 09:40:38 pm »
I like memoirs and stories of real events...

Me, too.  Ah, found the book about Custer.  It's called Son of the Morning Star; Custer and the Little Bighorn.  I strongly recommend this book.  It's written in a style that I adore.  It starts during the battle, then backtracks and sidetracks, telling little backstories about no-name soldiers who survived the peripheral battles but who had trouble later in life, died old and happy in Brooklyn, stories of the natives, their cultures, along with bits and pieces from Custer's life.  It's a wonderfully entertaining read.

By Michaelflanaganf  - Being a librarian in the Bay Area I'm aware of a whole plethora of books that came out last year for the 100 year anniversary of the quake - one (which I haven't read) is '1906' by James Dalessandro. 

One of my favorite books that takes place in this era in San Francisco is 'The Barbary plague : the Black Death in Victorian San Francisco' by Marilyn Chase.  It's about the politics surrounding Bubonic Plague in San Francisco at the turn of the century - particularly regarding the racism towards the Chinese here.  And there is a whole world of information about how San Francisco changed due to the plague - there was originally a poultry industry in the South of Market neighborhood that moved north.  I was also interested that the endemic plague that exists in the Southwest originally came from this infestation in San Francisco.

Crack in the Edge of the World is a bit drier than I prefer, but it still has a core of very interesting reading.  My favorite little trivia tidbit is how Charles Richter –  he of the Richter Scale – was a vegetarian and a nudist and – from all his writings – quite a playboy who had innumerable conquests and ‘varied’ sexual activities.

As a friend of mine said, “Ah, why we love Californians…”

Thanks for the recommendation of The Barbary Plague.  Just my type of reading.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:23:41 am by delalluvia »

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 11:54:20 pm »
I'm reading Bloodthirsty Bitches and Pious Pimps of Power by Gerry Spence, non-fiction.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 12:22:29 am »
I just finished a Japanese mystery set in 17th century Japan.    It was called Red Chrysanthemum: A Thriller and was written by Laura Joh Rowland.                                               

She's a good writer and definitely knows alot about Japanese history.  Tokugawa Japan seems to have had alot of man to adolescent male sex based on her books! It's usually the villain who engages in this practice.  I guess it was common in Tokugawa Japan.

I advise starting from the beginning as starting midway might be confusing.    The major characters are the same throughout the books.

I've certainly learned alot about Japanese history from reading her books.

OK, I thought the name sounded familiar.  Yes, I read about 4-5 Sano Ichiro mysteries by Rowland before I got behind and haven't caught up yet.  Boy, she's written a lot since I left off.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 12:28:18 am »
I'm reading Bloodthirsty Bitches and Pious Pimps of Power by Gerry Spence, non-fiction.

From an Amazon reader review:

"One of Spence's more worrisome themes is the parallel between Nazi Germany and the U.S. today. Goebels' primary rules were: "Never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; focus on a few simple points and repeat them over and over; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one (it only has to seem true), and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it." Spence also points out that Hitler's verbiage emphasized his being a Christian and hatred for liberals...."

Just goes to show, propaganda works regardless of who is using it.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 05:05:26 am »
Quote from: delalluvia link=topic=11269.msg223853#msg223853
Thanks for the recommendation of [u
The Barbary Plague.[/u]  Just my type of reading.

You bet.  Another non-fiction book I found very compelling was 'Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin In America' by James Morone.  It's a fascinating look at how two competing religious impulses - puritanical and social gospel - have fought in the public square.  It traces the history of moral politics all the way from the colonies to the 60s.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:32 pm »
Right now I'm reading:

American Fascists:  The Christian Right and the War on America by Chris Hedges.

I just started it but it's very enjoyable, comprehensive, educational and non-sensational.  The author explains how the  American Christian Right fits the classic definition of a Fascist movement.  What's interesting is that the author is a person of faith (Presbyterian) which is a nice change because lately all I've been reading are books by Atheists, lol!  Anyway, I highly recommend it to anyone who is disturbed by the growing Christian fundamentalist movement.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:59 am »
As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann.  It's an erotic tale of passions and obsessions set against the back drop of Civil War in Seventeenth Century England.  It's intense expecially the homo-erotic love scenes.  Whew!   

After this I hope to cool down by reading the new Harry Potter.
Life is not a dress rehearsal