Author Topic: Hey, non-Americans  (Read 10384 times)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Hey, non-Americans
« on: May 02, 2006, 04:16:04 pm »
Hey, guys. I'm curious, is "intelligent design" taught in schools in other countries?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 02:02:27 am by Will-ABC »
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Hey, non-americans.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:23:43 pm »
You rang?

No, not in the high school I went to in Ontario.  Can't speak for those nutsos out in Aberta. ;D

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
This must make me sound really thick, but what is "intellegent design"? I have never heard that phrase before, maybe we call it something different in the UK.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:40:15 pm »
Oy, I'm embarrassed.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:42:10 pm »
This must make me sound really thick, but what is "intellegent design"? I have never heard that phrase before, maybe we call it something different in the UK.

Nah, Bex, so with you on that. "Intelligent Design"?
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 04:50:01 pm »
I think it's the opposite of evolution, i.e.  that the universe was created by a designer (God). 

I don't recall it being taught in the UK when I was at school  a while ago now. Being a physicist I find the idea pretty atrocious, unless intelligent design could be translated to the laws of physics- which are inherently intelligent as they are the very basis of existence of us & anything that could be said to exist. 

nic
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 04:52:25 pm »
Hey, guys. I'm curious, is "intelligent design" taught in schools in other countries?

How many schools is it taught in in this country? Not the schools my children attend, I can assure you.

This stupid concept (I refuse to type the name) just needs to go away.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:55:01 pm »
Not in China, of course ;D.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 05:00:19 pm »
I think it's the opposite of evolution, i.e.  that the universe was created by a designer (God). 

I don't recall it being taught in the UK when I was at school  a while ago now. Being a physicist I find the idea pretty atrocious, unless intelligent design could be translated to the laws of physics- which are inherently intelligent as they are the very basis of existence of us & anything that could be said to exist. 

nic

Not neccesarily. I've seen the link between Physics and the "stories of God".

Leslie, you obviously understand what "intelligent design" means. Please, would you be willing to explain it?
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 05:01:36 pm »

Germany here. And a big fat NO as answer. Luckily not.
I learned about Creationism when I was confronted whith fundamentalistic Christians for the first time in my life. Thast was 2 years ago. I had heard about it before, but didn't give a second thought about it, because it's very uncommon here. Only a few weirdos talk about it.
But unluckily, one of those fundamentalist Christians (they are very rare in Germany) became manager from our local kindergarten. I've  had some heavy arguments with that woman since then.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 05:43:51 pm by Penthesilea »