Author Topic: What happens right after Tent Scene 1?  (Read 15307 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What happens right after Tent Scene 1?
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 07:02:24 am »
Re: Jack's coat in the morning after the first tent scene, I also quite like the idea of vulnerability.  He doesn't tuck his shirt in when he gets out of the tent, which makes him look really, super vulnerable.  This un-tucked shirt detail makes me wonder if he really *wasn't* fully dressed whilst sleeping.

Ooh, I like it.  I like it a lot.

I could totally see him pulling the coat back on, but so liking the feeling of Ennis' nakedness against his own that he lets that part of things be.

And I love the look of utter contentment on his face as he sleeps.  I think even Jack would be afraid to embrace that contentment while awake for fear of disappointment, but while he sleeps, he's free to be and feel 100% what he is and feels.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 07:03:59 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 08:06:20 am »
Oh yeah!   you gotta love how content Jack looks.   He has after all, got what he was waiting weeks?  months?  for!   Hell, for all we know, Jack was a virgin.   I can't imagine there were too many opportunities there for him to have gotten laid already.   He implies to Ennis that he is a sinner already, but that could be sins of "thought" only.   

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2006, 08:49:30 am »
Oh yeah!   you gotta love how content Jack looks.   He has after all, got what he was waiting weeks?  months?  for!   Hell, for all we know, Jack was a virgin.   I can't imagine there were too many opportunities there for him to have gotten laid already.   He implies to Ennis that he is a sinner already, but that could be sins of "thought" only.   

True.  It occurs to me now, though - was he fast asleep, or kind of half awake/half asleep, having a little morning reverie replaying what happened last night?  I always wonder if he's aware Ennis is awake when he pulls his pants on and clamors out of the tent - if at that point, he's just lying there pretending to still be asleep?  It seems like it'd be awfully hard not to hear/feel him getting up like that.  And he comes out of the tent awfully soon after Ennis leaves it - Ennis is still checking his pack and gun when he emerges.
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2006, 10:21:16 am »
Every now and then, I wonder if Jack didn't take off his jacket in all 13 takes (wait... if I'm talking about takes, then I should probably say "Jake" rather than "Jack," huh?), so it really is a continuity error. As much as I like the idea of the layers of clothing representing layers of protection, I have trouble imagining exactly how Jack could fumble around to get his jacket on while Ennis is collapsing into sleep, and still end up spooned in front of Ennis like that. (I mean, the jacket's dropped behind where Ennis ends up sleeping, right? So Jack would have to climb across Ennis and then snuggle himself into position? It's easier to imagine both of them just collapsing.)

I love the content look on Jack's face, too. I can imagine him sleeping, but I also like the idea of Jack being half asleep or pretending to sleep, -- not wanting to move, wake Ennis, and bring the night to an end.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline David

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2006, 10:40:50 am »

I love the content look on Jack's face, too. I can imagine him sleeping, but I also like the idea of Jack being half asleep or pretending to sleep, -- not wanting to move, wake Ennis, and bring the night to an end.
Exactly!   Jack doesn't want the momemt to end!   I think he was lying there waiting to see what Ennis would do.   Would Ennis make a pot of coffee and bring two cups back?   

But when he hears Ennis getting ready to ride out, I'm sure he jumped up and slid on his pants too.  As we see, he is saddened by Ennis's silent departure. 

:'(

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2006, 10:44:07 am »
I don't really see the jacket thing as a continuity error, as I don't see it as a continuity error if Jack puts it on after they finish having sex, or even is he wakes up during the night feeling cold.  It might be a little bit dull of me, but I just accept the fact that he doesn't have it on during sex, and it's on the next morning.  It's not like the real continuity error when Aguirre rides up to Jack chopping wood.  Jack places a piece of wood on the block as Aguirre approaches, but at the end of the conversation the piece is missing.  Because there is no time loss in the Agirre scene, it is a continuity error.  But in TS1 there is time lost between sex and the next morning, anything could have happened include putting on a Jacket.

Now this I love!  Has everyone had a time in their life when you don't want to sleep and don't want to move because you don't want that time to ever come to an end?  Thanks for posting nakymaton! ;D
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline David

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2006, 10:48:21 am »
I don't really see the jacket thing as a continuity error, as I don't see it as a continuity error if Jack puts it on after they finish having sex, or even is he wakes up during the night feeling cold. 

Ha ha ha!    Very true!    Living in a northern climate,  I can relate to that!

I also recall undressing again prior to the BF or guest  waking!     ::)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:53 am »
Has everyone had a time in their life when you don't want to sleep and don't want to move because you don't want that time to ever come to an end?

Oh, yes. :)

LOL at undressing again before someone awakes, David. ;D I get cold, too, but I guess I've been more inclined to be cold and unable to sleep rather than risk waking my partner and ending the moment!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2006, 11:53:25 am »
They went at it in silence except for a few sharp intakes of breath and Jack's choked "gun's goin off," then out, down, and asleep.
   Ennis woke in red dawn with his pants around his knees, a top-grade headache, and Jack butted against him; without saying anything about it both knew how it would go for the rest of the summer, sheep be damned.

As it did go. They never talked about the sex, let it happen, at first only in the tent at night, then in the full daylight with the hot sun striking down, and at evening in the fire glow, quick, rough, laughing and snorting, no lack of noises, but saying not a goddamn word except once Ennis said, "I'm not no queer," and Jack jumped in with "Me neither. A one-shot thing. Nobody's business but ours." There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours.

They believed themselves invisible, not knowing Joe Aguirre had watched them through his 10x42 binoculars for ten minutes one day, waiting until they'd buttoned up their
jeans, waiting until Ennis rode back to the sheep, before bringing up the message that Jack's people had sent word that his uncle Harold was in the hospital with pneumonia and expected not to make it. Though he did, and Aguirre came up again to say so, fixing Jack with his bold stare, not bothering to dismount.

Well, according to the book, they never talked about the sex afterwards and, it seems they never talked DURING sex neither. Reminds me of a song from the Annie Oakley musical, Annie Get Your Gun, "Doin' What Comes Naturally."