Author Topic: Discrimination  (Read 18327 times)

injest

Re: Discrimination
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:07:38 am »
What Jess said, Kelda.

Most of the African American side of my family still lives in the South, in Louisiana near New Orleans. Most of the French side of my family also still lives down there. And every once in awhile, people will still refer to members of my family as "colored". In addition to what Jess said, it's also offensive because it was commonly used during the pre civil rights era. To call someone "colored" suggests to African Americans that they/we haven't made any progress. It reminds us of the "back of the bus" days. Most people of African descent in America today prefer to be called "African American".

There are many choice words for Native Americans too, and people have used some of these nasty words when referring to me; words such as "Prairie N*gger" and "Injun". Terrible words! Like I said, discrimination hurts.  :'(

humph! when EVERYONE that knows you knows that the PROPER words to describe you is:

Sweet
Kind
gentle
funny
smart

and

KEEEEE ute as a bug!!

;D ;) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

(there are other words but I don't want to embarrass you or give you a swelled up head)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:26:31 am »

It breaks my heart to hear that you've been hurt so badly, David.  :'(

There really are some despicable people out there.

I was discriminated against all through my childhood. I grew-up in an era when men were men (even if you were eight years old!) and women were invisible! I won't get into the gay discrimination thing here, because that wasn't entirely the root cause of the discrimination I was exposed to. No, I was naturally just a delicate, effete kinda kid who hated sport and loved ballet and art - even from a very early age. This just came naturally to me. All the little butch boys at school were very threatened by me and I used to get beaten and attacked on a regular basis. Got so that I was terrified to get on the school bus and had to get public buses to and from school, just to avoid the pint-sized terrorists that made my lil life hell.

I used to hide out in the library and art rooms and in time became very religious.

Fortunately, I had loving, supportive parents. As my dear ol' Mum used to say, "They're more to be pitied than blamed."

Yep, good ol' school days weren't exactly very "good" for me. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 09:37:14 am »
the only people that think school was the good old days is in my experience the chherleaders and the jocks (are whatever the equivalent is each country - in mine probably the smokers, the rugby players and the hockey players)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:54:37 pm »
It breaks my heart to hear that you've been hurt so badly, David.  :'(

There really are some despicable people out there.

I was discriminated against all through my childhood. I grew-up in an era when men were men (even if you were eight years old!) and women were invisible! I won't get into the gay discrimination thing here, because that wasn't entirely the root cause of the discrimination I was exposed to. No, I was naturally just a delicate, effete kinda kid who hated sport and loved ballet and art - even from a very early age. This just came naturally to me. All the little butch boys at school were very threatened by me and I used to get beaten and attacked on a regular basis. Got so that I was terrified to get on the school bus and had to get public buses to and from school, just to avoid the pint-sized terrorists that made my lil life hell.

I used to hide out in the library and art rooms and in time became very religious.

Fortunately, I had loving, supportive parents. As my dear ol' Mum used to say, "They're more to be pitied than blamed."

Yep, good ol' school days weren't exactly very "good" for me. 

I don't think I'm any different than anyone else Kerry. Not really. In fact, I think every single person in this world has felt discrimination at some point in their lives. A conservative in a room full of liberals; a liberal in a room full of conservatives; a woman in a room full of male chauvinists; someone living or visiting a country and they cannot speak the language; religion. There's all different kinds of situations.

I had a difficult time in school too Kerry. I think those school years were probably the most difficult time in my life. I was an effeminate Catholic boy which was not a good thing to be in 1960's and 1970's Indiana. Catholic schools can be rough anyhow, for some reason. But most of the boys at my school viewed me as a "sissy pretty boy"; because they didn't know those other bad words yet. In middle school and high school the word "fag" reared its ugly head. So, we've all been through discrimination haven't we? Discrimination, intolerance, ostracism and the feeling of confusion and isolation. 

Things are better now in some ways. But we still have a way to go when it comes to race and sexual preference, at least in some places in this country and in the world.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 12:35:49 am »
I'm sorry to hear/read about people on here being discriminated. None of you deserve that.

When I was in Kindergarten or first grade, I moved from Chicago (I think, can't remember, we moved around a lot) to Atlanta Georgia. Everyday kids would call me cracker because I was the only white girl in a class of African American's. And when I lived in Hawaii people would call me a Haloe which is supposed to be a term for foreigners, but it was really just a bad word for white people.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:53:36 am »
I'm sorry to hear/read about people on here being discriminated. None of you deserve that.

When I was in Kindergarten or first grade, I moved from Chicago (I think, can't remember, we moved around a lot) to Atlanta Georgia. Everyday kids would call me cracker because I was the only white girl in a class of African American's. And when I lived in Hawaii people would call me a Haloe which is supposed to be a term for foreigners, but it was really just a bad word for white people.

Discrimination is ugly - whichever way you look at it.  :-\   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 10:16:04 am »
(I should be in bed, but this thread is so worthwhile .....)

The face of North America seen in Oz is, no doubt, the pretty one. The ugliness of discrimination doesn't often make it onto the screen (except, perhaps, for films like BBM .... and that took courage).

As an example, I've always thought that Native Americans were respected, for their traditions and values (although one does hear the occasional story of discrimination that leaks out). I'm rather shocked by what you say, David. And, yes, ignorant.

We have heard in the past about the mistreatment of Black Americans, too, but it seems in recent years to have been promoted as just that. The past. We just don't hear about that sort of thing still happening.

The aboriginal population in Australia is not large, percentage wise, and most folk don't really get to know them at all. I have known a few who have been degraded by white society to the point where they are resentful and greedy for Government handouts. I've also had the good fortune to meet some who are determined to ignore the discrimination. Some of those keep their heads down and just survive. Some fight for their people, and that is admired here.

It is also the case, in Australia, that people of mixed aboriginal/other heritage, even with a little aboriginal blood, are deemed aboriginal. There are, officially, no 'mixed blood' people. It means that someone with a claim to even some aboriginal blood can take advantage of Government assistance, but that is a minority, and tolerated because the alternative, of a class of 'mixed' blood people, would be a more difficult problem.

Discrimination in Australia is fairly widespread in other ways. Wealth (or 'success') is probably the most common. I've known people who have migrated from countries where 'love thy neighbour' is quite outside their vocabulary, with a selfish attitude towards others, but, if they are successful, they are respected. Others who are really good people, but not as successful, are considered undesirable company. It's a strange society.

I grew up in a struggling family, and won a place at a prestigious school by examination. But it didn't work very well. The education was tops, but my parents couldn't afford university fees, and I was constantly told there was no point thinking about my dreams. Years later I studied and gained the qualifications to enable me to work in a high paying industry. There have been big ups and downs (divorce settlement was a killer), but I can now mix it with 'society' if I wish. The one thing I can't do is be a snob. There are people out there who think that one should soar with eagles, not walk with turkeys. And people who would give the shirt off their back. Some who follow all the 'rules', and some who are 'different'. But I love them all. They are people.

Maybe that's being a rebel. Ok, I'll admit that. Maybe I'm cheeky and don't conform to the discriminatory view. ...  Well, tough.

Rob

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 08:51:36 am »
As an example, I've always thought that Native Americans were respected, for their traditions and values (although one does hear the occasional story of discrimination that leaks out). I'm rather shocked by what you say, David. And, yes, ignorant.

I too was shocked and deeply saddened when David told me of his experiences. Broke my heart.  :'(

We have heard in the past about the mistreatment of Black Americans, too, but it seems in recent years to have been promoted as just that. The past. We just don't hear about that sort of thing still happening.

Not sure that I can agree with you here, Rob. Wasn't there a story in the news just last week about white students hanging nooses in a tree and a whole town going into hyperdrive as a result? Racism is a festering sore in many societies (not all of them white), Australia included.  :-\

The aboriginal population in Australia is not large, percentage wise, and most folk don't really get to know them at all. I have known a few who have been degraded by white society to the point where they are resentful and greedy for Government handouts. I've also had the good fortune to meet some who are determined to ignore the discrimination. Some of those keep their heads down and just survive. Some fight for their people, and that is admired here.

It is also the case, in Australia, that people of mixed aboriginal/other heritage, even with a little aboriginal blood, are deemed aboriginal. There are, officially, no 'mixed blood' people. It means that someone with a claim to even some aboriginal blood can take advantage of Government assistance, but that is a minority, and tolerated because the alternative, of a class of 'mixed' blood people, would be a more difficult problem.

I work very closely with the Aboriginal Health Unit (along with other disciplines) in my work. I am particularly close to the Director of the Aboriginal Health Unit. She is an absolute darling. Diligent, hardworking, conscientious and intelligent, with a gorgeous sense of humour. Her brother (deceased) was Australia's first Aboriginal judge. She is a nurse by profession, now working in administration. She is such a gentle soul. It saddens me so much to think of what has happened to the Aboriginal population of Australia over the years. There have been massacres in this country. And the women and children have been systematically raped, and continue to be. It's a tragedy.   :'(

The one thing I can't do is be a snob. There are people out there who think that one should soar with eagles, not walk with turkeys. And people who would give the shirt off their back. Some who follow all the 'rules', and some who are 'different'. But I love them all. They are people.

That's a very sweet philosophy you've got there, Rob. Reminds me of the quote from "Harold & Maude," where Maude tries to explain to Harold why she loves people so much. She says something like, "Why wouldn't I love them? After all, they're my species!" (not a verbatim quote) Sweet!  :D

Gee, you must have got to bed really late last night!  :o
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 09:04:04 am »
Well, I get to bed late most week nights.
Try to leave for work by 6, and home about 7 to 7.30, and get too wound up to sleep!
(sigh) I sometimes think time discriminates most of all.  :-\
But I'm off to bed shortly.
Sleep tight.
 :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:29 am »
Well, I get to bed late most week nights.
Try to leave for work by 6, and home about 7 to 7.30, and get too wound up to sleep!
(sigh) I sometimes think time discriminates most of all.  :-\
But I'm off to bed shortly.
Sleep tight.
 :)

Nighty-night, Rob. Sweet dreams.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν