Author Topic: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!  (Read 59302 times)

rtprod

OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:31:49 am »
Hi everyone,

I saw it -- it's a top-notch Hollywood film, possibly the best commercial action movie since Jan De Bont's original Speed. 

Everything here works -- there are no way over the top, CGI effects, no corny one-liners, no hip attitude and posturing.  Rather, it's an efficient, wonderfully edited, scored and shot thriller.  There are sequences here that are mounted with such care--the cinematography, editing and sound design--and to top it off, a great performance from, yes, Tom Cruise, and a real romantic heart at the core.  It's more in the vein of Lethal Weapon and Die Hard and a dash of True Lies than anything modern and ironic.  Some standout sequences include an early helicopter chase while trying to de-fuse a bomb planted in someone's brain, a very brisk, funny and thrilling inflitration of the Vatican, and a prisoner transport that goes horribly wrong on what appears to be Seven Mile Bridge in the Florida Keys.  And then there's the matter of a parachute precariously low over nighttime Shanghai. 

Moment to watch for:  a surprising scene at the end of the film involving CPR that I can't describe, but that actually choked me up.

It's a vast improvement on the awful second picture and even better than the first one.  This is the real deal folks, and the audience I saw it with went nuts for it.  This is why we go to Hollywood movies--it is escape done with a streak of such cleverness--I'm jaded on this franchise and Cruise, but the film is a stunner. 

Highly recommended -- it ranks with V for Vendetta, United 93, Thank You for Smoking and Akeelah and the Bee as one of the year's best movies, and I'm tempted to put it at the top of the list. 

A minor quibble -- Philip Seymour Hoffman is not given much to do really, or any compelling monologue or meat in his character, which keeps him from being a great villain.

Let the Tom Cruise baggage go and appreciate what he's done here, because it's a terrific performance and it might get undersold since the film itself is such a big event. 

rt   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:45:14 am by rtprod »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:47:35 am »
Thanks for adding that last part, because I was honestly considering not seeing it (even though I love action movies) because Tom Cruise gives me the heebie jeebies. You've made me really want to see it!
When does it come out?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:48:32 am »
Hi Sparkle,

It comes on this Friday, May 5.

GO!

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 11:50:27 am »
Yep convinced me to see it also ;)

It's also directed and co-written by J.J. Abrams who co-wrote one of my favorite thrillers Joy Ride, so there's another plus.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:59:50 am by EnnisDelMar »

rtprod

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 11:59:36 am »
Little D,

I love Joyride as well, which takes a very simple scenario and pumps it up to a level of intensity that's scary as hell.  It's directed by John Dahl, and you may want to check out some of his other films like The Last Seduction and Red Rock West, both worthy (particularly Seduction). 

um, rt   ;)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:16:24 pm »
Oh no, it's payback time. My movie friend wouldn't go see MATCHPOINT because she doesn't like Woody Allen, some moral B.S. with the whole Sue Yi thing or whatever her name. I missed my window of opportunity to see that saw something rather forgettable that weekend

So now she wants me to go see MISSION IMPOSSIBLE #12 and I'm going to pull the "ethics" boycott. Why feed Tom Cruise's ego, I will say and there are some other issues I have with Cruise, being mean to Brooke Shields as example.  :) 

I might go sneek in, if there is any male nudity with Tom Cruise. Is there? That will get me in. He looked good on the cover of GQ. Still don't want to READ about him, just look at him.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:24:12 pm »
As Mandy Moore said in American Dreamz, I'd rather poke my own eyeballs out with toothpicks and then eat them...or something.  Tom Cruise makes me gag.  But I'm sure it'll be a huge hit.  I'm waiting for X-Men 3.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 12:35:49 pm »
Better then the first 2 then? 

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:21:34 pm »
Part 2 was a disaster in my book, completely laughable garbage misdirected by John Woo, and the first one was certainly competent.  This is a whole new ballgame, and stands apart from both. 

This is a terrific film, and I think it's sad to throw the baby out with the bathwater over Cruise.  He's always a good actor -- Collateral, anyone? -- and here he is very effective. 

Juan, just let go of that and you'll have a great time watching this one, trust me.  The X-MEN trailer is absolutely awesome and all signs point to a great movie, but I can never trust anything directed by Brett Ratner so I'm hoping and being cautious. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:44:59 pm by rtprod »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:26:31 pm »
I'm boycotting it. I don't like Tom Cruise, at all. But thanks for the review.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:28:59 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.