Author Topic: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!  (Read 59218 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2006, 04:39:19 pm »
I'm really interested to hear what it is about Jarhead that resonates with my fellow board-mates.  Give me the short list so I can chew on something.

rt

I guess I felt that it was unlike anything I had seen before.  A fresh story told from fresh eyes IMO!  The performances were great especially by Jake and Jamie Foxx and the directing was genius IMO.  Sam Mendes is awesome! 

The scenery was awesome and to me there was unlike most films these days a small amount of truth to it......JMO
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:41:53 pm by slayers_creek_oth »

rtprod

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2006, 04:40:17 pm »
your rt

Awwww   Y'all just kill me, in a good way 

Y'all?

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2006, 04:44:14 pm »
*relief sighs, breathes into paper bag*

LOL. Too cute, too cute.

*imagines Sheyne here with us in spirit, also hating Missy Elliot with us*

I guess I felt that it was unlike anything I had seen before.  A fresh story told from fresh eyes IMO!  The performances were great especially by Jake and Jamie Foxx and the directing was genius IMO.  Sam Mendes is awesome!  

The scenery was awesome and to me there was unlike most films these days a small amount of truth to it......JMO

Agreed, Chris. Many of the scenes were so gorgeous; showing all this beauty past the dangers of war. It highlighted the futility of war as well. And the characters were all very endearing.

PS. rt, y'all = you & B, in that particular reference.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:46:10 pm by dmmb_Mandy »

rtprod

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2006, 04:44:49 pm »
RT, there's an E-True Hollywood Story on Missy

Wow, yeah, didn't realize she conquered Hollywood already but the way things are going, she's in line for an Oscar next year probably.  lol

rt

rtprod

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 04:47:47 pm »
*imagines Sheyne here with us in spirit, also hating Missy Elliot with us*

Yeah, Mandy, well our beloved eastern hemisphere counterpart will rise and shine shortly and join us here.  I'm flying over to sign her cast, dunno about you guys.

rt

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2006, 04:49:32 pm »
the man got run over by a van, and it was played for laughs, in the boys' dilemma of whether to just drive off or to pull him out. the discovery of the people in the back of the van in that "auto-shop" also seemed like it was played for laughs to me. And the woman arguing insanely at the beginning as also such a joke. I'll admit, I maybe overly sensitive because I'm Asian. That is entirely possible but doesn't change the fact that I was annoyed by those characterizations. In spite of them, I still liked the film.

I share starboard's sentiment, guess because I am Asian too. :)  I watched Crash before Brokeback Mountain, and quite liked the movie and its attempt to address the racial discrimination (subtle or unsubtle) and people’s indifference.  But I always feel the stories are fabricated, especially the characterization. Maybe that’s the drama element, I don’t know, but I just hate any kind of generalization. 

And I will let my darkest secret out, I think the story will look less fabricated if the shop owner did kill locksmith’s daughter, not a blank shell.  I know it’s really an evil thought as I don’t think I can accept such a horrible ending, but nonetheless, it’s more likely to happen in reality. To make it otherwise, seems to me that Paul Haggis got soft and wanted to make a movie that makes people feel good to acknowledge the issue, but not really confronted with the harsh reality.

If I want to see a movie that makes me feel good, I will see “Happy Endings”, which is another movie that touched on some social issues and pretty much everyone got happy ending at the end.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2006, 04:52:50 pm »

First no one wants to see United 93, and now Mission Impossible 3 is going to tank on the CT board as well.
`

I can understand why some people won't see United 93. Watching the whole attack on live TV was already a very painful and shocking experience. I guess seeing this movie will be like going through the whole thing again. It's a day nobody will forget, not matter how far you were when it happened.

My cousin was on the Financial Distrit when the whole thing happened. She is completely traumatized by the attacks. She saw people falling from the towers, got herself covered with ashes and had to walk all the way to Brooklyn. She is actually angry this movie was made in the first place and even premiered in New York. She hates the fact that a few people are going to be profitting from a lot of people's pain and loss, even if part of the profits go to the victims.

A similar sentiment was felt here in Spain when a movie about the March 11, 2004 Madrid's terrorist attacks was premiered about a year afterwards. I live 10 minutes walking distance from the station where the trains were blown up and I couldn't get myself to go to see that movie. Neither did a lot of people. It seems to me some producers take no consideration on people's feelings, they just see dollar bills. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »
Yeah, Mandy, well our beloved eastern hemisphere counterpart will rise and shine shortly and join us here.  I'm flying over to sign her cast, dunno about you guys.

rt

If only my student income allowed such a thing. *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:59:16 pm by dmmb_Mandy »

rtprod

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2006, 04:57:38 pm »
To make it otherwise, seems to me that Paul Haggis got soft and wanted to make a movie that makes people feel good to acknowledge the issue, but not really confronted with the harsh reality.

If I want to see a movie that makes me feel good, I will see “Happy Endings”, which is another movie that touched on some social issues and pretty much everyone got happy ending at the end.

Very, very nicely put -- the blank bullet of course makes good on the cape protection, but removes the realism of a film trying for gritty realism.  

Happy Endings is an interesting film, not a great one, but with nice performances all around, especially Lisa Kudrow, who can play a modern, neurotic woman with the right mix of humor and disillusionment, and Jesse Bradford, just a wild card here and scruffy as hell.  

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2006, 05:00:16 pm »
BTW, it turns out that her ankle isn't broken, it's actually sprained with torn ligaments, which is still very terrible  :'( I'm sure she'll tell you all about it.

I haven't seen Happy Endings yet. But it looks interesting. And I love Lisa Kudrow.