Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1008982 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #990 on: March 05, 2012, 10:14:45 pm »

Remember this guy?
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEqWzw8A9g&feature[/youtube]

Ha!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7YmXdeRXqv8[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #991 on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:20 am »
Ha, that is indeed one happy dog!  Dude, maybe think about cutting down on the caffeine.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #992 on: March 07, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »
Check out the "Amazing Ball-Bopping Whippet":

[youtube=425,350]lydiR_zJXng[/youtube]

:)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #993 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »
LOL!

Now you know what to do if you have too much time on your hands, Fran!  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #994 on: March 07, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »
    What an amazingly uplifting and wonderfully heartwarming story.  I had heard of this story on the news, but did not truly read all the details.
I have been sick, and have only spent a short amount of time studying the news and such..

Thanks for posting that..Janice

Love that happy dog video... I once had a little White terrier.  She loved to play with other dogs.  She was sitting in the car, and spied a
dog in a field like that.  She jumped down and started doing that same thing all the way across the field of wheat.  She bounced and bounced across that field for about 100 yrds, and so excited, she suddenly stopped about 10 feet before she reached him, and planted her feet dead still. 
She turned around and started walking back to us, and we saw how sad she was, and how frightened, when she realized that he was a huge black and brown shepherd, about three times her highth, probably ten times her weight.  It was so cute, and so funny at the same time...poor thing she never got another romp quite like that one.

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #995 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:32 am »
It's been a long time coming....
We're ready for another dog. :D

Already started looking online, and seeking contact on the phone. But I don't know yet what type of dog it will be.

This (something like this):

Or this (pretty exactly like this):

A dog from a shelter or a dog from a breeder?
My heart has always belonged to the shelter/rescure animals. Max was from a shelter, too. And the cats came into our lives by their own choice, they were also "second-hand" pets.

I never even contemplated the thought of getting a dog from a breeder. But then I totally fell for the Black Großspitz ( black German Large Spitz). I've always thought they're beautiful dogs.
They're robust, both in health and in character. A sensitive, shy dog would not fit in our houehold. I need a stable, robust dog with good nerves. And an easy dog. I don't want a dog that is too intelligent and too active, and certainly no working dog (Border Collie, Malinois, etc.).

The German Spitz is all that I want in a dog and nothing of the things I don't want. Very good with children and other animals around the house, barely any hunting instincts, no tendency for straying. Perfect fit.

There is no chance to get a Big German Spitz from a rescue organization. They are high up on the red list of almost extinguished breeds. Nowadays people rather get exotic breeds like Samojede, Akita Inu etc, without thinking much about the needs of such dogs. If you look at a white German Large Spitz and a Samojede, they are almost the same in exterior, but the Spitz is way less challenging. Yet Samojedes are much more popular than Spitz dogs. ::)

So, what to do?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #996 on: March 08, 2012, 03:50:16 pm »
Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it, Chrissi!

And show us pictures when you finally get the dog, please!  :D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #997 on: March 08, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »
I don't hold anything against anyone who has gone to a breeder to get a pet, it's their right to do so.

All of the cats my family has owned have been "rescues".

Tina was a neighborhood stray who wouldn't come stay in our house, but we fed and we took her to the vet when she seemed ill.

Cupcake came from the shelter.

Midnight was taken from a neighbor who was moving and couldn't take him with her, there was a "no pet" clause to where she was going.

Blaze was a feral/wild kitten that my brother and sis-in-law found in their backyard.  Already owning a cat and two dogs, they couldn't keep the new kitten, so we took him in.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #998 on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:28 pm »
I went from Rottwiellers to Whippets.  Whippets are easy to own.....they are not hyper, just look like it.
I used to show and breed Rotts and after the last one passed, I looked for something new, and, voila, I am a
whippet person.  They are lazy and if you want a good watchdog, a dog to obey and stay off the furniture,
bed, etc, don't get a whippet!

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #999 on: March 08, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »
My cat is a rescue cat.
However, I have owned purebred, registered dogs since 1970 and I enjoy the history behind the breeds.
As one of my dog judge friend had observed, purebred dog breeders produce the dogs that all
the crossbreed people need.
The study of how breed evolved is facinating.  Whippets were bred to go and hunt small game and when
they were sucessfull, they just had to lie around and wait until the next time they were needed.
Rottwielers were bred to herd cattle and guard the farm....so they want to know what's going on and what
can they do to protect everything.  The whippet asks "is there someone here?" after he has struggled out from
under the bedcovers.  And most whippets aren't fighters and as they get older, they don't like rough dogs.
The neighbors have a large pitbull cross female that absolutely adores my whippet and if she spots him, will
come running over to see him and he sniffs noses, her butt, then he ditches her.  She always looks so forlorn.