Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1009077 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #1030 on: March 29, 2012, 11:57:31 am »
Thank you, everybody! :)

Phew - a baby is a baby is a baby. No matter whether it's human or a dog. I'm exhausted! :P
I was soooo happy to have hubby coming home in the afternoon. First chance today to catch up on the internet. :laugh:
Additionally to the puppy I had a guest all day today, which wasn't possible to postpone.

At night she did perfectly well. Put her into the crate when we went to bed. She whined for about two minutes, which is nothing, then slept through all night! :D
Now the morning was something entirely else though. While I cleaned up one mess, she already made some other nonsense without any pause in between. After sleeping all night, her mind clearly was set for action early in the morning. And I am not a morning person at all. Oh well, that's her good right after beeing such a good puppy all night. I'll survive. ;)

Additionally, I accidently scared her with the crate and baby gate (at the stairs) in the morning. Made some very loud noises and made the gate fall down (metal gate on tiles, crate slipping from my hands on the stairs, yadda, yadda - huge noise). Since then she avoids the crate and my attempts to connect good memories with the crate have not been very successful so far. We'll see how it goes this night. *crosses fingers*

No improvements in regard to become house-trained on doggie's side. But we get better in foreseeing/guessing when she has to do business, and in the afternoon most business was done outside. On her side, she still prefers the living room, if she has a chance. But it's only been one day. They all learn it and so will Tina.

We're very happy to have her. And I'm happy that puppies become grown dogs much faster than human babies. ;D ;)
She's four months old, Fran.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1031 on: March 29, 2012, 12:34:20 pm »
Congratulations on your new baby, Chrissi!  She's adorable, though a handful.  Hope you have many happy years together.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1032 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
Awww, so cute!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1033 on: March 29, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
I looked at  dog at an animal shelter yesterday. Pretty, pretty thing, she's a Spitz-mix and only 9 months old.

But I'm not sure she's the right dog for us. In fact, I rather think not. :-\

She's so totally, completely freaked out. Such a scared dog, it's horrible to witness. The only thing she tries to do is hide, get away from all humans as fast and as far as possible.
On the good side, she is definitively NOT a fear-biter. She lets everybody do anything to her (when you're able to catch her and put her on a leash, that is). People can handle her, pet her, the vet can handle her, she would never bite or do anything else but try to melt into the ground.

She doesn't even take treats from humans, or eat as long as humans are close, too scared and stressed out for that.
Sadly, none of "her" people, meaning helpers who already succeded in making contact with the dog, people who she knows well and has started to trust them, were at the shelter yesterday. I would have liked to see how much better (or not) the dog is with well-known people.

Poor, poor doggie. Because she's so young and absolutely non-aggressive the shelter people think she can go into a household with children (older children, like mine are) nonetheless. They are of the firm believe that she will come around and become a well-adjusted dog.

And here I am, not able to put this dog out of my mind. She's a dog who needs a chance, who needs people with a lot of patience and some dog-sense.
And I'm sitting here, asking myself if I want to be that person....

This makes me so sad.  She has been abused, obviously.  Sad sad sad...  She might work ok with a single person.  If that person was a real patient lover of animals... :'( :'(

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1034 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:53 am »
This makes me so sad.  She has been abused, obviously.  Sad sad sad...  She might work ok with a single person.  If that person was a real patient lover of animals... :'( :'(

Yes, it's sad. I thought long and hard about taking Lisa or not. She so deserves a loving home and it was a tough decision. In the end, I went with my gut feeling, which told me from beginning on that she is simply not the right dog for us, as sorry as I feel for her. :-\

I think best for her would be a quiet household, and at best with an older, self-secure dog. I'm sure that would help her, if she had an orientation in a well-adjusted dog.

Poor doggie.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1035 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »
Tina is settling in nicely. The accidents get fewer. Big, big YAY! for that. :laugh:

Second night was again perfect. She didn't like to go into the crate, but didn't resist either. Once she was in there, she made not a single sound until the next morning. No whining, no nothing. Just sleeping. Perfect! :D

She now feels at home and secure here, which is good. The downside of it is that she doesn't want to go for walks anymore (for now). Of course we take her anyway, I don't discuss decisions with a dog, no matter how adorable she is.
Once we're out in the field, it gets better. But of course, she walks best after we've turned around and go back. :laugh:
She'll learn.

A few new pics:

Being sneaky and trying to steal a shoe (oh yes, shoes! Better than any puppy toys)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1036 on: March 30, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »
I don't discuss decisions with a dog,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good for you, Chrissi, I think that's a wise attitude!

The pics are adorable!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #1037 on: March 30, 2012, 09:09:57 pm »

The pics are adorable!

They sure are.  Love the third photo!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:29:36 pm by Fran »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #1038 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »
I was feeling creative, so I spent the last couple of days making a dog bed.  It's one of those no-sew fleece ones.  It was supposed to be for Forest -- I went with an autumn leaves print so it wouldn't be too "girly" -- but Ember seems to have claimed it.  :)

Since the photo was taken, I undid some knots and added more stuffing, so it's a lot fluffier now.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1039 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:12 pm »
Wow, no wonder Ember claimed it, Fran.  That's gorgeous!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...