Author Topic: Broken in Two  (Read 103176 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Broken in Two
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2008, 12:11:22 am »
Ok, this is probably stretching at all a little   ::)

When Ennis' nose is hurt by Jack's knee, Jack tries to mend Ennis' hurt by holding him and saying, "it's alright".  He wipes his nose and gets blood on both (separate) shirts.  As we know, blood tends to stain and the shirts are ruined.  Instead of attempting to wash the shirts (and thus fix them), Jack leaves them spoiled.  And mends them by putting them together, blood on blood. 

Sorry for my random musings    :laugh:

"blood brothers"

when I was a small boy back in the 1960's, little boys as a part of initiations into clubs frequently would pick their fingers with a sharp knife of pin and mingle their blood. (this was long before AIDS made everyone cautious about such endeavors.) I still remember the day that Chris and I decided that we needed to be blood brothers. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2008, 11:49:36 pm »
Reviving this post on the 45th anniversary of the sinking of the Thresher:

Another instance of brokenness that occurs early in the story. Jack and Ennis sit around the campfire talking about the loss of the submarine Thresher and what it must have been like in those last doomed moments. Here's some info about the event.

the USS Thresher (SSN-593), the first of the new Thresher-class 3700-ton nuclear-powered attack submarines. Commissioned in August 1961, she underwent extensive sea trials during ‘61 and ‘62. On April 10, 1963, after completion of a re-fit, she began post-overhaul trials. Accompanied by the submarine rescue ship Skylark (ASR-20), she transited to an area some 220 miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and started deep-diving tests.

At 9:13 a.m., the USS Skylark (a surface vessel assigned to assist Thresher) received a signal, via underwater telephone, indicating that the submarine was experiencing “minor difficulties, have positive up-angle, attempting to blow.”

Shortly afterward, the Skylark received a series of garbled, undecipherable message fragments from the Thresher. At 9:18 a.m., the Skylark’s sonar picked up the sounds of the submarine breaking apart. All 129 hands were lost—112 military and 17 civilian technicians.

The submarine community, the Navy and the nation were stunned. Thresher was the best of the newest. The ship was built at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine and was the first of a new class of submarine, designed for optimum performance of sonar and weapons systems
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »
Today we honor those sailors who gave their lives for their country back in 1963.

good point about the "broken" motif including the story of the USS THRESHER.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 05:25:49 pm »
little boys as a part of initiations into clubs frequently would pick their fingers with a sharp knife of pin and mingle their blood. (this was long before AIDS made everyone cautious about such endeavors.)

Surely little boys are the same way today! (Oh, I won't go into a similar ritual that young women perform, but it doesn't involve pricking fingers!)

I was trying to put a stamp on an envelope today and thought I would NEVER get the peel-off backing off of it. And then I tried to open an envelope, and it was closed with some god-awful adhesive. Please bring back stamps and envelopes that you can lick, for God's sake!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:56 pm »
Surely little boys are the same way today! (Oh, I won't go into a similar ritual that young women perform, but it doesn't involve pricking fingers!)

I was trying to put a stamp on an envelope today and thought I would NEVER get the peel-off backing off of it. And then I tried to open an envelope, and it was closed with some god-awful adhesive. Please bring back stamps and envelopes that you can lick, for God's sake!!

I can usually start the peeling process by rubbing my thumb along the edges of the stamp. Honestly, I think the peelers are an improvement. I still remember helping out in political mailer drives when I was a kid and licking all of those envelopes until I was queasy sick from the glue! Yuck!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2008, 10:48:34 am »
I still remember helping out in political mailer drives when I was a kid and licking all of those envelopes until I was queasy sick from the glue!

I hate licking the glue, too, and always opt for self-adhesive stamps AND envelopes. For those who watched Seinfeld, don't forget that George's fiancée died doing that.  :o

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:07 am »
Front-Ranger:

You say:
 have always wondered about the significance of the term, Brokeback Mountain.

You noted that the mountains are also broken in two...
if you see the Grand Tetons, which are possibly the Borkeback Moutains ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:56 pm »
I hate licking the glue, too, and always opt for self-adhesive stamps AND envelopes. For those who watched Seinfeld, don't forget that George's fiancée died doing that.  :o

who do you sue under those circumstances? if it was the envelope do you sue the manufacturer, if it was the stamp do you sue the post office?

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 05:59:41 pm »
Huh? Blood brothers ---> Envelopes and stamps? Have I missed something?  :laugh:

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2008, 07:45:17 pm »
Huh? Blood brothers ---> Envelopes and stamps? Have I missed something?  :laugh:

Well, the connection is ...

When scheduling a fishing rendezvous,
Don't get poisoned by envelope glue
Send a postcard to your special you-know-who!

;)