Author Topic: Broken in Two  (Read 103194 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Broken in Two
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2016, 07:52:25 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPC2Fp7IT7o[/youtube]

Seether w/ Amy Lee - Broken

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2016, 09:54:39 am »
Breaking news! Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature!

With apologies to Bob Dylan:

Brokeback lines, brokeback strings,
Brokeback threads, brokeback springs,
Brokeback idols, brokeback heads,
People sleeping in brokeback beds.
Ain't no use jiving
Ain't no use joking
Everything is brokeback.

Brokeback bottles, brokeback plates,
Brokeback switches, brokeback gates,
Brokeback dishes, brokeback parts,
Streets are filled with brokeback hearts.
Brokeback words never meant to be spoken,
Everything is brokeback.

Bridge: Seem like every time you stop and turn around
Something else just hit the ground

Brokeback cutters, brokeback saws,
Brokeback buckles, brokeback laws,
Brokeback bodies, brokeback bones,
Brokeback voices on brokeback phones.
Take a deep breath, feel like you're chokin',
Everything is brokeback.

Bridge: Every time you leave and go off someplace
Things fall to pieces in my face

Brokeback hands on brokeback ploughs,
Brokeback treaties, brokeback vows,
Brokeback pipes, brokeback tools,
People bending brokeback rules.
Hound dog howling, bull frog croaking,
Everything is brokeback.

Copyright © 1989 Special Rider Music

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:37 pm »
I just watched an interview with Dave Cullen about his book, Columbine. At the end, he quoted Ernest Hemingway: "The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 11:23:33 pm »
Funny, Dave asked me where I saw that interview. Strange how things exist on the web.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2017, 11:22:31 am »
Funny, Dave asked me where I saw that interview. Strange how things exist on the web.

You saw him in person or he asked you on Facebook or what?  ???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2017, 12:03:43 pm »
On Facebook yes. I've only met Dave in person once and I was too busy at the time to talk to him. He moved away from Denver several years ago. But we stay in touch on fb, Goodreads and Twitter.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
On Facebook yes. I've only met Dave in person once and I was too busy at the time to talk to him. He moved away from Denver several years ago. But we stay in touch on fb, Goodreads and Twitter.

Just saw your post and came back to answer my own question. He and I are FB friends, too, but we don't interact much. I think I messaged him once to point out that a quote of his had appeared somewhere or something like that and he thanked me. And I met him at the 2007 BBQ and talked to him for a few minutes. You were probably busy barbecuing exotic delicacies. He was kind of condescending because he wrote for Slate and I wrote for Salon and he made clear that he considered Slate the superior publication. He's right (more so now than at the time) but I thought it it was less than polite to point it out.

That was long before Columbine the book, though.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:15 pm »
Just saw your post and came back to answer my own question. He and I are FB friends, too, but we don't interact much. I think I messaged him once to point out that a quote of his had appeared somewhere or something like that and he thanked me. And I met him at the 2007 BBQ and talked to him for a few minutes. You were probably busy barbecuing exotic delicacies. He was kind of condescending because he wrote for Slate and I wrote for Salon and he made clear that he considered Slate the superior publication. He's right (more so now than at the time) but I thought it it was less than polite to point it out.

That was long before Columbine the book, though.

Funny. I got that impression from some posts I've read on his own Brokeback Web site.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2017, 10:20:15 am »
 On May 24, 1941, Robert Allen Zimmerman was born in Duluth, Minnesota (he celebrates his 76th birthday this week). His parents—owners of a small appliance repair-shop—were children of Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe and Russia. He was only six when his father contracted polio, an event that forced the family to return to his mother’s nearby hometown of Hibbing, Minnesota.

Growing up in Hibbing, he developed a passionate interest in music. He took up the guitar at age 14, joined a local rock and roll band, and began performing the songs of Little Richard and Elvis Presley. After graduating from high school in 1959, he briefly attended the University of Minnesota, where he was inspired by the music of Woody Guthrie to give up rock and roll for the emerging trend of "folk music."

After one year of college, he adopted a new—and now legendary—stage name, moved to Manhattan, and began performing in Greenwich Village nightclubs. After his first album in 1962, which was only a modest success, he catapulted to fame with a second album of so-called "protest songs" in 1963. His songs contained simple melodies, haunting lyrics, and vivid metaphorical images that broke new ground in American music. Many became anthems for a new generation.

In his career, he has received every award possible for a creative artist, including the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature, which hailed him "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." Never one to be impressed with honors, it took him a while to actually accept the award. In his life, he seems to have remained true to a definition of success he offered in a 1967 interview:

"A man is a success
if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night,
and in between does what he wants to do."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2017, 10:52:28 am »
A nice summation! But what does it have to do with "Broken in Two"?  ???