Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 2282461 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3620 on: October 04, 2024, 10:03:52 am »
So you really didn't miss your New Yorker reading? I just renewed my subscription and I've noticed that the couple of issues I've received since then have been kind of blah. Especially the fiction.... There were a couple of really good fiction pieces in the fiction issue but they seem to have been all the good fiction there was to be had for a while. I'm not a fan of the stories that start out with an older woman who doesn't seem to have much purpose. Or one whose partner has left her. Or a younger one who has indiscriminate sex. Or a family of quirky women. Or a woman at a party. So, that leaves very few stories I may be interested in.

In "The Critics" section I usually find something of interest. For many years, I've had a dream where I lost a key. Sometimes a mailbox key, and sometimes even my dorm room key. This led to many searches and trips to the office and many stair climbs and trips up and down the elevator. And many searches for the stairs, office, and elevator. I used to wake up exhausted!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3621 on: October 04, 2024, 04:48:40 pm »
So you really didn't miss your New Yorker reading?

No, I do miss it! I'm just overwhelmed with stuff to read. Although I will say I tend to see more interesting articles in the Atlantic these days.

I just renewed my subscription and I've noticed that the couple of issues I've received since then have been kind of blah. Especially the fiction.... There were a couple of really good fiction pieces in the fiction issue but they seem to have been all the good fiction there was to be had for a while. I'm not a fan of the stories that start out with an older woman who doesn't seem to have much purpose. Or one whose partner has left her. Or a younger one who has indiscriminate sex. Or a family of quirky women. Or a woman at a party. So, that leaves very few stories I may be interested in.

I can imagine that any of those situations could make stories I would enjoy. In fact, I can think of some. Little Woman (family of quirky women), Olive Kitteridge (older woman), Mrs. Dalloway (party)  For me, it's more about the quality of the writing than the setup.

I agree, though, it does seem slightly blah of late. Malcolm Gladwell has a new book out. I wish they'd publish an excerpt of that.

In "The Critics" section I usually find something of interest.

Me too.