Author Topic: The Pentecost scene, again..  (Read 11932 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Pentecost scene, again..
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:23 pm »
No worries latjoreme!

I've been seeing your name since way, way back in the imdb days,
Oh? *blush*

and somehow all this time I have been picturing you as a guy. You were cute as a man, if it's any consolation!
Hell yes! ;)  Now I'm sorry I told you! :laugh:

It's funny how if you haven't seen people's photos, you somehow develop images of them anyway, which probably have no relation to reality.
Indeed!  ;D But my picture is on the frapper-map....

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 02:32:38 pm »
Often, my mental image of people is strongly influenced by the picture in their avatars. So no wonder I thought you were cute! ;)

TJ

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 04:37:58 pm »
I was born in November 1942 and I was close to the ages of Annie Proulx's Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist in the summer of 1963.

I know by experience and reflecting back to what I knew about certain guys in the 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s, the conversation was rarely about girls when the guys had been sexually active with other guys.

When I was a college freshman in the spring of 1962, I became a friend of Darrell Byfield, a sophomore. He was a friend of some of my freshman friends and had known one of them not quite as long as me. Darrell and I were room mates for the next two school terms and he was graduated in in May 1964.

I had no idea as to what his sexual orientation was during our days together on campus nor he mine. We both dated women; but, we really did not do much discussing of our dates. If we talked about women, it was because we were with other guys in the dorm who were talking about them.

I happened to be back in Tulsa, Oklahoma in September 1986 when my oldest niece had a son at a local hospital. She was the daughter of my older sister. Since it was going to be a while before I could see her and the baby, I decided to go out to a club for a little while. I went to a gay bar not too far away and while I was there, Darrell walked in. We did talk some but did not have a long conversation since I did not have much time to get back. He did tell me that he was living in a Tulsa suburb.

I did not see Darrell again until the summer of 1993 after I had moved back here from N. Hollywood. I heard his name called when I was at the VA clinic and I assumed that he was working there in an admistrative capacity. I did not see him; but, when I got back to Mom's where I was living, I looked up his name in the local phone book. I called him in the evening and asked if that was him who was paged. Darrell had joined the Air Force after college and I had been a draftee.

We had many conversations about what we were going through in those closeted days. He told me about being attracted to a handsome male student when he was a freshman but didn't act upon it. Oh, we knew some openly gay types on campus but that was as far as it got. Darrell and I had a mutal friend, with whom I had gone to grade school (but not Darrell), and we just believed that Norman married a woman to further his professional career; but, like Ennis and Jack, Norman did take advantage of going to conferences to be with men when not at home.

Oh, one of my fellow art students in the 1960s was married back then; but, he left the closet after his teenage son left it. His ex-wife is very supportive of him and they are both involved in PFLAG (Parents, family and Friends of Lesbians And Gays).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 07:42:07 pm »
But my picture is on the frapper-map....

Where is the frapper map? I've never checked it out.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 10:46:41 pm »
I think Jude has made a good point about, sub-consciously, the boys absorbing ideas from the lack of "girl talk." Yet another interesting angle of this film, so brilliant...

This thread has made me register something I probably should've taken in a few weeks ago. By Ennis indicating he is a virgin, that means, to me, that he is very comfortable around Jack in revealing that bit of information about himself.

Oh, sweetness...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

TJ

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 01:32:25 am »
Well, in reference to really conservative Pentecostal mindsets, a person who is smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is lying when "I haven't had the opportunity to sin yet." Smoking and drinking are considered sinful acts.

That's what makes it ironic that Ennis is supposed to be a virgin sexually speaking.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 04:16:39 am »
I guess I phrased that a bit confusingly. It's not that they DO engage in girl talk, it's that they DON'T. Actually, it's Jude's observation: he noted that they never talk about girls, as you might expect straight 19-year-old men to do, and he's saying they probably noticed this about each other and got a clue.

Ohhhhh, so girl talk as in "talking about girls" as opposed to "did you see what he was wearing, so 1962"!  ;)

You know it' never really occured to me that there was anything "lacking" in Ennis' behaviour, after all he does mention he's getting married (that would normally do it for me).  I find it much easier to imangine Jack in this context, not mentioning girls, expressionate eyes, stoten glances, tenderness while nursing Ennis' wounds, ...  <sigh>
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 05:15:56 am »
Where is the frapper map? I've never checked it out.
Good question.. I wanted to bump the thread, but I can't find it..  ???

Not much time.. Have to work.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -