Author Topic: Texas Ranch Hands--On PBS now!  (Read 2833 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Texas Ranch Hands--On PBS now!
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »
Hey Tremblayans,

I'd been meaning to show you guys a picture that I took of a busstop billboard sign near where I work advertising a new reality show on PBS called Texas Ranch Hands (thanks for the correction, Victoria). It's about a group of 8 or 10 guys a few women  who are "sent back" 1867's Texas to live and work as cowboys on a real ranch and see if they can hack it.

It's on now. It's kind of funny to see how they are fighting and bickering with 2006 style language and values, but trying to do the job of being a cowboy in the 1800's. They made the distinction that "you guys aren't cowboys, you're ranch hands, and you work for me."

I wonder if the success of Brokeback had anything to do with this show being on now? I'd love to see some kind of Jack/Ennis-esque "thing" develop, but I won't hold my breath!

Kinda cool to see the bandanas, lassos, horses, 'staches, etc--OMG somebody's playing a harmonica as I write this!!

Oh my darling, Oh my darling, Oh my Darrrling Clementine.....

They just said that cowboys sing, and play the harmonica, and hum to keep the cows calm, and that sometimes a cowboy wouldn't be hired if he couldn't sing!

A neat new fact....

Okay, take it away Jack!

Here's the pic of the billboard by the way (note: this replaced the long standing ad before it that was of a flower arrangement in a margarita glass, which said "Happy Hour with a Twist!" which always brought a smile to my face  :) )

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:04:49 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

vkm91941

Re: Cowboy Stock Options--On PBS now!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27:45 pm »
This show was on Monday night on PBS, at least in Maui it was.  It's called Texas Ranch House and it like all those other reality shows PBS has been doing, you know the 1890's house and the Pilgrim VIllage and the Frontier House, etc. Interesting stuff.

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:34:42 pm »
This show was on Monday night on PBS, at least in Maui it was.  It's called Texas Ranch House and it like all those other reality shows PBS has been doing, you know the 1890's house and the Pilgrim VIllage and the Frontier House, etc. Interesting stuff.
Are you in Maui, Victoria? I hope you're on a much deserved vacation!

Jenny - I've been hearing ads about this. Cool post. I don't have cable, but if my parents ever watch it when I'm up in Lightnin' Flat (not - I love my folks and I love where they live), I will surely check it out. Enjoyed your report. Sure would be nice if a J/E thang grabbed hold of two a those guys. Are there any cute ones? Hunh?
Jack Nasty loves you!

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:36:16 pm »
Are you in Maui, Victoria? I hope you're on a much deserved vacation!

LOL I was, got back late last night! 

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:41:14 pm »
Yeah, a couple of 'em are kinda cute. Ain't nothin like Jack or Ennis tho.

It's not on cable though, you can get it if you have pbs, and some reception.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Texas Ranch Hands--On PBS now!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:37:45 pm »
I wonder if the success of Brokeback had anything to do with this show being on now? I'd love to see some kind of Jack/Ennis-esque "thing" develop, but I won't hold my breath!

I wouldnt' exactly bring up BBM with these guys. Ranch hands aren't usually attuned to many aspects of pop culture, but there's no gettin around BBM.

I didn't see that PBS show. However, if it's set in West Texas, it's a very conservative part of the United States. Most frustating to drive 700 miles (San Antonio to El Paso) and the only thing on the radio is Rush Limbaugh.  :-\ No doubt he's brought up that movie.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:56 pm »
I watched Monday's episodes, and have Tue and Wed's recorded.  Tonight is the finale.  I'm gonna be doing a marathon viewing.  Ian is a hottie!  ;)

TJ

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 04:11:13 pm »
There is abolutely no connection with the PBS-TV network's "Texas Ranch House" reality show and Brokeback Mountain. PBS has done similar things before in the USA and they borrowed the idea for the formats from a British TV reality series.

I have been watching the whole series, didn't record it; but, I find a lot of what they are don't contrary to the documented facts with which I am quite familiar about the old West in the 1860s.

In the TV show, the real boss of the ranch activities is the rancher's wife and she was not even given that assignment by the shows producers. When the ranch had a Sunday Morning church service, the woman (a Baptist in real life) was in charge of the whole thing. A real rancher who had church service in his own home in those days would not likely have had a woman to even speak, especially his wife.