Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772036 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5670 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:02 pm »
Oh no, Elle, I don't worry. Ennis will stand the test of any time, I know that.And even if the rest of the world forgot Ennis, we wouldn't.  :-*  It just feels strange right now -  with all the Joker images inundating every magazine, webpage and paper. You know, even my little local paper here in Norway had an insert article today about how various reviewers are clamouring for Heath to get an Oscar for the Joker.

Offline optom3

« Reply #5671 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:10 pm »
Oh no, Elle, I don't worry. (Ennis will stand the test of any time, I know that.And even if the rest of the world forgot Ennis, we wouldn't.)  :-*  It just feels strange right now -  with all the Joker images inundating every magazine, webpage and paper. You know, even my little local paper here in Norway had an insert article today about how various reviewers are clamouring for Heath to get an Oscar for the Joker.

I too know that Ennis will stand the test of time,it just seems strange to see all the superlatives applied to Heath in a role other then Ennis.

Offline optom3

« Reply #5672 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:58 am »
New Arts Centre to honour Heath Ledger, with some nice comments from Heath's father :-

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=589816

By Warwick Stanley

Heath Ledger is to be given the first monument bearing his name - a $91 million performing arts centre in his hometown of Perth.

The 575-seat Heath Ledger Theatre is being built in Roe Street, Northbridge, just a stone's throw from the Art Gallery of Western Australia and one of the city's largest concert venues, Metropolis.

Naming the centre after the 28-year-old critically acclaimed actor, who died from an accidental prescription drug overdose in January, was bound to be a controversial choice, said WA Premier Alan Carpenter, but in the end he said it was the obvious one.

"The bottom line of this, I think, is that the overwhelming majority of people ... will say it's a good move and it's a great thing that for us here in WA, we have had this opportunity and we are able to pay tribute to Heath Ledger," Mr Carpenter said.

"Heath Ledger was totally dedicated to the craft of being an actor and that's what made him successful.

"He was always supporting young actors in whatever ways he could.

"I think what we're doing is continuing that support for young people who want to make a career in the arts and acting, stage and in film, whatever it happens to be."

Heath's father, Kim Ledger, who was at Tuesday's announcement, said it had come as "a surprise, a pleasant surprise", when he was told several weeks ago of the pending honour for his son.

"He was such a giver to the arts right across the board. I really feel that there's not a lot of things he'd put his name to but he'd put his name to that," Mr Ledger said.

He said it was the first time his son's name has been formally commemorated, although the Australians in Film Institute in the United States had created a Heath Ledger Foundation to help young people further their acting careers.

He said his son had been a generous man who had kept in close touch with his network of friends in Australia.

"I remember Steve Alexander, his agent from CAA (Creative Artists Agency) always felt though that every house Heath had (owned) was a half-way house," Mr Ledger said.

"The last one we sold in Los Angeles a few years ago. We called for the keys to be handed in and there were 30 keys."

Mr Ledger said the screening of Heath's last two films, the Batman movie The Dark Knight and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, would be "bittersweet" for the family, who will travel to New York later this month for the premiere of The Dark Knight.

"It's pretty difficult to kind of grieve as we've been trying to, like any family that has lost a son or a daughter," he said.

"It's just been a little more public and the films make it a little more public as well. It's been a little bit hard, but we've always been extremely proud of his work and that hasn't changed."

And on the possibility of a posthumous Oscar?

"If there was anything he wanted to achieve in life it was to be recognised by his peers at the top of his game," Mr Ledger said.

I really don't understand why it would be a 'controversial' choice, though.

And that last line of Kim Ledger's just hurts a lot...

And 30 keys to Heath's house in LA??  What a loving, caring, trusting friend he was...

Thanks for posting that, it is a lovely article,but the bit about being recognised by his peers is hard to read.If he gets a posthumous Oscar it will be even harder to bear.It makes me cry just to think of it.The one thing he really wanted and then he doesn't get to see it.
I know many of his peers were in awe of his skill.But he was so modest,I wonder if he ever realised what high regard he was held in.I hope so with all my heart.
As you say 30 keys!!!! what a generous spirit.Reminds me of of one of review of TDK where someone, can't remember who, says it is incredible that such a kind ,sensitive,person can create such an evil character. Well I guess that was just the genius of the man.
I so feel for his family having to tryand grieve and watch their son in his last full performance as well.
Hopefully when te grief becomes more bearabble, it will actually be a wonderful reminder for them all ,including Matilda of Heath's immense talent.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5673 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:41 am »
At least, Heath did not live for nothing !

Creating in his memory is wonderful, since Heath worked hard to make us think about evil and showed us how we can be respected and to respect too  !!

Love you Heath !

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5674 on: July 01, 2008, 11:50:45 am »
Thanks for posting that, it is a lovely article,but the bit about being recognised by his peers is hard to read.If he gets a posthumous Oscar it will be even harder to bear. It makes me cry just to think of it.The one thing he really wanted and then he doesn't get to see it.

I think I have to disagree with you here.  In my opinion, what would be worse would be if Heath's Joker performance is not even nominated for an Academy Award -- we know it has to be a stellar performance from the early reviews -- or if he gets nominated but once again gets passed over because the Academy is biased when it comes to super-hero movies (or whatever crazy reason they manage to come up with).  Of course, he should get an Oscar only if he truly deserves it (which hopefully is the case), not a pity Oscar. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:16:58 pm by Fran »

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5675 on: July 01, 2008, 12:19:52 pm »
Hey, if you click this link and scroll down to the (currently) second to last post, there's a big pic of Heath with the mouth prostetics for the Joker on, but without the makeup. An interesting image.

And not only that, but the person who's posted it explains that in effect, Heath created the Joker "look" / makeup himself! And I can well believe it - remembering that it was Heath who thought to switch Jack and Ennis's shirts for the final BBM scene. He did get 100% into the mindset of his movie roles and their inward characters and outward expressions)

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=269430&page=16

(Thanks to a poster on the DC board who first posted this link.  :) )

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #5676 on: July 01, 2008, 01:00:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure Jake will say something when he starts promoting "Brothers".

Jake is on the Ellen DeGeneres show today. 1pm on NBC here in the St. Louis area, but you might want to check your local listings.

I've been missing all of you!

With Matt Damon:

With Johnny Knoxville:

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5677 on: July 01, 2008, 01:05:37 pm »
Merci Hadil !

It will be at 4 eastern time here !

Say you are in St-Louis ?

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #5678 on: July 01, 2008, 03:00:54 pm »
Well, this is what I get for running over here and posting before I fact-check my information. The interview with Jake was a rerun from 10/18/07, so obviously there was no mention of Heath. I found the interview on youtube and posted it on Jake Jake Jake, if anyone is interested. Sorry!  :-\

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5679 on: July 01, 2008, 03:43:54 pm »
Hey, if you click this link and scroll down to the (currently) second to last post, there's a big pic of Heath with the mouth prostetics for the Joker on, but without the makeup. An interesting image.

And not only that, but the person who's posted it explains that in effect, Heath created the Joker "look" / makeup himself! And I can well believe it - remembering that it was Heath who thought to switch Jack and Ennis's shirts for the final BBM scene. He did get 100% into the mindset of his movie roles and their inward characters and outward expressions)

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=269430&page=16

(Thanks to a poster on the DC board who first posted this link.  :) )

Here's the image Mikaela's talking about: