Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772055 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5730 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:52 pm »
I am excited to say that LauraGigs, Lynne and I will be seeing The Dark Knight together on Saturday, July 19th, at 9:00AM.  Yes, AM.  :)  Our tickets are bought.  LauraGigs and I agreed that IMAX sounded too intense for us, and Lynne went along.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5731 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:20 pm »
VAL KILMER: 'LEDGER LEGACY IS COMPLETE THANKS TO GREAT ROLES'

VAL KILMER is happy pal HEATH LEDGER got to show off his acting talents in challenging roles before his untimely death - because now he'll be considered one of the greats.
The Doors star discovered a soulmate in Ledger but always worried the "interesting and successful" roles he played never showed his true talents.
But, thanks to Brokeback Mountain and the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, the late Aussie's legacy will be spot on.
Kilmer tells WENN, "I've known him for a number of years and there was a gravity to him that came up.
"It's tough, but when I think about him, in terms of the tragedy of his life ending, I'm happy that he got to do a couple of roles that matched what he was capable of because he always seemed to me an actor doing interesting and successful work, but he was better than some of those roles."
Former Batman Kilmer and the new Joker Ledger met up a month before the latter died from an accidental drug overdose in January (08) and Kilmer still has fond memories of their last meeting.
He recalls, "He was very proud of having quit drinking. We were in a nasty smoke-filled club and I was drinking water and Heath's like, 'Hey, you're drinking water,' and I'm like, 'Yeah, you're drinking water too,' and he was excited about drinking water.
"He said he hadn't had a drink in about a year."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/kilmer%20ledger%20legacy%20is%20complete%20thanks%20to%20great%20roles_1073737

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5732 on: July 08, 2008, 11:44:45 pm »
Ledger was always Joker - director

Christopher Nolan, director of this summer's eagerly anticipated Batman sequel The Dark Knight, has revealed that he had only the late Heath Ledger in mind for the part of the Joker.

Despite actors like Robin Williams and Sean Penn rumoured to be on the shortlist, the British-American filmmaker insisted otherwise.

"Heath was the only one on it. I knew he was it from the start," Christopher told Entertainment Weekly.

"The guy had serious nuts. What I needed was someone who wouldn't be afraid of the comparison with Jack Nicholson. And then I saw Heath's incredible performance in Brokeback Mountain. Such a lack of vanity."

He continued: "This was an actor who wasn't afraid to bury himself in his character - to a massive extent."

And Christopher revealed that he made the right decision in picking Heath, who leaves behind a bittersweet legacy in the movie after dying from an accidental drugs overdose last January.

He took time preparing to become the Joker, working with a voice coach to perfect the villain's cackle and applied make-up himself.

"We had the same take on the character," said Christopher.

"He tried to articulate to me what he was doing with his voice, but it was sometimes hard to understand. He said he wanted the voice to have a mocking quality, a sort of disconnectedness. He started applying the make-up himself."

http://www.thisisthesentinel.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=243890&command=displayContent&sourceNode=243888&contentPK=21031696&folderPk=112383&pNodeId=253911&returnNodeId=253911

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5733 on: July 09, 2008, 12:51:23 am »

Aren't your younger two really young?  Can they handle terror like that?  For that matter, can I, I wonder?

Matt is 11 nearly 12,and keeps telling me he will be fine.I have told him that I think it will be more than a bit scary.His attitude has always been if it is not based on real life he is fine. I have after much thought decided against Emma going, she is only 10 and too young.So she has had a real go at me.As I pointed out, my house, my rules.
I have watched  lot of the trailers on you tube now and definitely think it is unsuitable for her age.I will wait in the mall so that if Matt is not as brave as he thinks, he can walk out to the foodcourt,outside the movie theatre.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5734 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:04 am »
I clearly live in the back of beyond with nothing but clueless, undiscerning hicks around!!  >:( Thank God I'm going to the EuroBrokie TDK event!

Granted I live across the ocean, but Mikaela, I am curious when the EuroBrokie TDK event is?

August, 9 + 10 in Bruxelles!  :D :D :D

Here's the thread: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,17340.0.html

In Germany, TDK will start not before August, 21st  :o. More than a month later than in the US. Talk about living in the back of beyond ... :P

I'm also happy I'll be able to see it earlier (at the EuroBrokie meeting). And so much looking forward to see you again, Mika :-*
And just like Elle&company and Meryl and John, we'll see TDK for the first time together with fellow Brokies! :)

Brokies rule!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5735 on: July 09, 2008, 04:54:26 am »

Aren't your younger two really young?  Can they handle terror like that?  For that matter, can I, I wonder?

Not speaking of Fiona here, but generally: TDK is rated PG13, but BBM is rated R? - ::)
I'm curious how TDK will be rated in Germany; and if I agree with the rating after actually seeing the movie. For now, I can't imagine letting my 12 year old daughter see TDK.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5736 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:25 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5737 on: July 09, 2008, 05:05:28 am »

Not speaking of Fiona here, but generally: TDK is rated PG13, but BBM is rated R? - ::)

My thought exactly!

I'm curious how TDK will be rated in Germany; and if I agree with the rating after actually seeing the movie. For now, I can't imagine letting my 12 year old daughter see TDK.

I just checked the Norwegian Rating: It's 15 years, so parents would not have to ponder whether or not to let a 12-year old go watch it.

The Norwegian Film Board's Reason for the rating (They always explain the ratings they give): 

"Despite well-known characters, they are depicted in this film as extremely sombre and unstable. The film is given a 15-year age limit due to its massive depiction of cruelty and violence in a threatening and very dark universe."

In comparison, 11-year olds could go see Brokeback Mountain alone here, if they wanted to.  :)

I completely agree with both decisions, of course. IMO it's scary violence that messes kids' brains up, not depiction of love and mature relationships that happens to include non-gratuituous sex.

I've never understood the US rating system.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5738 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:06 am »
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23959624-25090,00.html

"KIM Ledger says his family will leave Perth for New York this week to attend the July 15 premiere of The Dark Knight, son Heath Ledger's Batman movie. The trip will take them away from the growing row in the Perth arts world over Alan Carpenter's announcement on Tuesday that a new theatre complex would be named after Heath. Kim Ledger says the family keeps in close touch with Heath's ex-fiancee Michelle Williams and daughter Matilda, 2. "We're going to America five days earlier to be able to play with Matilda," he says. But viewing the last film Heath completed will be hard. "For our family it's a bittersweet experience. We're extremely proud of his work."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5739 on: July 09, 2008, 05:18:03 am »

Another one we've never seen.  Great work, Frau Detectiv.  :)