Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772339 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5840 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:46 pm »
Article about Heath's career. One thing i don't agree with is that Jake carried BBM and that people watched it because of him, i think both were great and the love story brought the audience. It was a group effort:

http://www.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/story.html?id=0ea7af0b-3c01-400d-bc51-ab1c479a4ebf&p=1

The amoeba who wrote this piece needs to be put out of his misery.If he was here right now I would gladly do it.Heath ledger was carried by Gyllenhaal. !!!!!   Is  he mad, on drugs or both.The films main line is Gyllenhaals "i wish I knew how to quit you"  What about "if you can't fix it you gotta stand it"

I am hopping mad.

James Dean,conjured an aura that transcended acting, Heath never did. So all the rave reviews of Heath as Enis ,the most incredible one by the author herself, who says Heath became Ennis,none of that counted.Heath categorically transcended acting and unless every reviewer of TDK is wrong he has done it again.
Even in Candy, he ceased to be Heath.
Oh I am so mad I have to go or I will start using less than ladylike language.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5841 on: July 12, 2008, 11:43:42 pm »
Plus the guy doesn't even know the name of "A Knight's Tale" -- he called it "First Knight". Duh. That was Richard Gere.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5842 on: July 13, 2008, 03:21:44 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5843 on: July 13, 2008, 08:08:29 am »
Plus the guy doesn't even know the name of "A Knight's Tale" -- he called it "First Knight". Duh. That was Richard Gere.

Also, "Lord of Dogtown." Double duh.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5844 on: July 13, 2008, 08:36:18 am »
The article is from Michael Sragow from the The Baltimore Sun. He seems a bit biased. ;)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5845 on: July 13, 2008, 09:56:40 am »
from the New York Times, quoting Senator Leahy:

The 68-year-old six-term senator says he has been big on Batman since he was 4, when, one Sunday after Mass, his parents stopped at a little drugstore in Montpelier, Vt., his hometown, and bought him a comic book for 10 cents.

“I can vaguely picture it,” Mr. Leahy reminisced. “One of the scenes had Bruce Wayne down in the Bat Cave to work on the Batmobile.”

Batman became his favorite superhero because “he has no superpowers,” Mr. Leahy said. “He had to use his own brains and his own knowledge.

*edited for personal memories removed*

So in order to more or less make this post on topic... let me say I'm hoping TDK will turn out to have the same kind of topical and psychological relevance that that old story once did, despite the state-of-the-art costumes and huge action scenes and explosions and cool props. Several reviewers have pointed to the film being a serious and relevant commentary to the "war on terror" and on the difficulties for the "Good guys" in holding on to their ideals and their human decency and their rules and to remain standing on moral high ground while facing an enemy who is entirely unpredictable, who is amoral and cruel and seemingly will stop at nothing.

It will be interesting to see know whether the film comes across that way, and what it has to say.

And if it works as that kind of contemporary analysis, then I will be ever so much easier in my mind about Heath taking on the Joker role too.

After all, it would not have been possible to make "Schindler's List" without someone being willing to take on the role of the horrid Amon Goeth.... Someone has to play the bad guy, and do so believably.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:46:17 pm by Mikaela »

Offline optom3

« Reply #5846 on: July 13, 2008, 10:03:18 am »
Also, "Lord of Dogtown." Double duh.

Now I have been treated to my lovely morning Heath, I am still hopping mad.Even the actors who worked with Heath commented on how he dissapeared and then came back as the character.One was so terrified of him as the joker they forgot their lines,cant remember who,might have been Michael Caine.
His comment about the  "I wish I knew how to quit you" whether you consider it camp classic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  or a wrenching cry from the heart .Seems to indicate to me that the guy was a raging homophobe. WTF is camp about anything to do with BBM unless of course you are talking about the tents !!!!!
If there is anything camp about it, then I am obviously both blind, deaf and so stupid it is amazing I am potty trained.

But the real deal breaker for me was him saying ,we only get to see Heath's performance because that of Gyllenhaals allowed us to.That is beyond insulting.He must be taking the pi-s surely. Or he bought one of those on line degrees.

I guess his review of TDK will be that we only get to see Heath's performance via that of Bale.

I think Jake's performance was beautiful and played to perfection, but Heath as always became the character.I like Jake but he always looks like Jake to me.When it comes to Heath, because of his extraordinary ability, I never see him, only the character.Even when he was still with us, critics the world over praised his performances.

Also the guy's description of the 4 feathers revealed some racism, he totally missed the point.Not surprising really as he is obviously a moron.The sub plot, which you need a brain with at least a couple of functioning neurones to discover, is a story of courage and love.Both for your fellow man, your country and a woman. It really had very little to do with fighting Islam.That was the surface plot, which allowed the far more intense ad revealing sub plots to develop.

He then says Heath gave his most inventive performance as Casanova ??????   Now I loved Casanova, as Heath looked wonderful and I began to see he had a really light comedic touch.I do not think it was his best performance though.Even Heath himself said, he took on the role as a break from the draining BBM.
Then moron  man continues with, "at last comfortable with his good looks"  "and more confident about his intelligence," re Casanova----

Garbage. !!!!!!  Heath did everything he could to get away from the pretty boy image.I also never think he would have been so arrogant as to consider his intelligence. He was if anything hugely embarrassed about any complements, and so painfully humble that to watch him being interviewed was at times painful.
 In one year, BBM, Casanova and Candy all came out .It is hard to imagine 3 more different roles.

Oh he hell with it, the sun must be past the yard arm somewhere in the world, I need a drink!!!!! 2 in fact one for me and one to pour over moron man.!!!!  

I am more mad than I was about the Bravo fiasco, this time it's personal !!!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5847 on: July 13, 2008, 10:16:02 am »
Tell us what you really think Fiona ;D

Sorry, I don't mean this disrespectful, but your venting was in parts funny to read.

then I am obviously both blind, deaf and so stupid it is amazing I am potty trained.

I've never heard this colorful metapher before and I think it's hilarious :laugh:

Here's some young Heath for you to calm down  :-*

.... a bit better now?

Offline optom3

« Reply #5848 on: July 13, 2008, 10:39:07 am »
Tell us what you really think Fiona ;D

Sorry, I don't mean this disrespectful, but your venting was in parts funny to read.

I've never heard this colorful metapher before and I think it's hilarious :laugh:

Here's some young Heath for you to calm down  :-*

.... a bit better now?

Much better thanks !!!
 The worst is, this is me medicated, to even out the peaks and troughs.
Curiously if there is any complaining re shoddy goods and services, or members of staff to be sacked or disciplined, my husband makes me do it,!!!!
Can't think why, must be my self effacing, and calm demeanour !!!

But a bit of young Heath is like a double vodka and cranberry,distinctly mellowing. So a big thanks, I have stopped hyper ventilating now !!!!!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5849 on: July 13, 2008, 10:43:50 am »
I thought the article was rather surreal and disorienting, like seeing Heath's career presented through one of those"magic mirrors" that turn all features inside out and upside down, as it were.

Thank you, MilAn for posting the link, though. It provided an excellent opportunity to try to formulate just what seemed so off...

The whole premise of the thing; - comparing Heath's and James Dean's career trajectories, seemed more than forced and the comparisons had the writer tying himself and his subject(s) in knots to prove a relevance and similarity that mostly isn't there - except alas in their untimely deaths.

The writer is of course allowed to be of the personal opinion that Jake carried BBM - but presenting it as a fact is disingenuous, to say the least. It's not in good faith and quite unreasonable in view of the scenes where Jack isn't there (notably the ending scenes), the film's nominations, and of the audiences' and critics' response to it. It really can't be taken seriously at all.

By and large, to me the article comes across as someone having lobbed this idea of a Dean/Ledger comparison on the writer as a possible topic to serve as tie-in coverage of TDK, and he's hit google in a great big hurry and serves up a mitch-match of various online opinions on Heath's films that somehow tie into the Dean topic. The research and quality assurance obviously was minimal for the repeated "First Knight" slip to pass through.

Ledger gave his most entertaining and inventive star performance as the free thinker and hedonist in the period romp Casanova, which came out right after Brokeback Mountain.
Casanova a more inventive star performance than Ennis? Oh, pull the other one.  ::) Anyone who can seriously think this, can't know much about acting (or has the world's weirdest view of what "entertaining" means.)

As time goes by, it won't be the first time nor the last someone serves up this kind of thing to make their daily bread. Heath's work will rise above all the ignorant nonsense anyway.  :)