Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3771797 times)

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5870 on: July 15, 2008, 12:35:31 am »
I think it is because it's called the Dark Knight. I still can't believe Heath is really gone.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5871 on: July 15, 2008, 03:15:42 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Heath look as Skip Engblom really grew on me. At first, I thought he looked horrible with the blonde hairstyle and beard and those teeth. Of course this was before I had seen LOD.
I think he looks really cute in this one, it's all in his eyes

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5872 on: July 15, 2008, 11:04:01 am »
Hi spicey,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us... as fraught with emotion as it was...

:'(

:)

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5873 on: July 15, 2008, 11:47:17 am »

I am excerpting this review by David Denby in case some readers may think spoilers may include the full piece. The link is provided here:
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2008/07/21/080721crci_cinema_denby

Some may also think parts which follow may be disturbing, but I think it important to post, and I may post it in other threads as well. If any one feels I should remove this post from this thread, I certainly will.

From The New Yorker:

The Current Cinema

Past Shock

Heath Ledger and Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan’s new Batman movie.

by David Denby
July 21, 2008

(....)

Yet “The Dark Knight” is hardly routine—it has a kicky sadism in scene after scene, which keeps you on edge and sends you out onto the street with post-movie stress disorder. And it has one startling and artful element: the sinister and frightening performance of the late Heath Ledger as the psychopathic murderer the Joker. That part of the movie is upsetting to watch, and, in retrospect, both painful and stirring to think about.

The Dark Knight,” which was directed by Christopher Nolan (who also made “Batman Begins”) and written by Nolan and his brother Jonathan, is devoted to perversity. Bruce Wayne, attempting to bring order to Gotham City, has instead provoked the thugs. The mob is running rampant, and they’ve infiltrated the police department. The Joker, who doesn’t care for money and wants only the power to sow chaos, intimidates everyone, including the gangsters. Wayne and the noble Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) decide to get behind the new D.A., Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), and set him up as Gotham’s crime-fighting hero. Batman even thinks of retiring. But the Joker won’t let him; he needs him, as someone to play with. An anarchist by philosophy, the Joker uses terrorist methods (bombs, bombs, bombs), and he has an enormous advantage over the principled Batman—he’s ruthless. So the Joker taunts and giggles, and Batman can only extend his wings.

It’s a workable dramatic conflict, but only half the team can act it. Christian Bale has been effective in some films, but he’s a placid Bruce Wayne, a swank gent in Armani suits, with every hair in place. He’s more urgent as Batman, but he delivers all his lines in a hoarse voice, with an unvarying inflection. It’s a dogged but uninteresting performance, upstaged by the great Ledger, who shambles and slides into a room, bending his knees and twisting his neck and suddenly surging into someone’s face like a deep-sea creature coming up for air. Ledger has a fright wig of ragged hair; thick, running gobs of white makeup; scarlet lips; and dark-shadowed eyes. He’s part freaky clown, part Alice Cooper the morning after, and all actor. He’s mesmerizing in every scene. His voice is not sludgy and slow, as it was in “Brokeback Mountain.” It’s a little higher and faster, but with odd, devastating pauses and saturnine shades of mockery. At times, I was reminded of Marlon Brando at his most feline and insinuating. When Ledger wields a knife, he is thoroughly terrifying (do not, despite the PG-13 rating, bring the children), and, as you’re watching him, you can’t help wondering—in a response that admittedly lies outside film criticism—how badly he messed himself up in order to play the role this way. His performance is a heroic, unsettling final act: this young actor looked into the abyss.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5874 on: July 15, 2008, 11:56:22 am »
you know, because of Imaginarium, I get a tad annoyed when reviewers refer to TDK as Heath's "final act" - does anyone else feel this way?

I guess it will be interesting [among other things] to see how much screen time Heath actually ends up having in Imaginarium.

I was very moved by Verne Troyers interview on the E! special.

---

as pertains to one other of Denby's comments,

I have avoided giving my 2 cents [I think] about how playing the Joker may have affected Heath...  I guess I can't help but think about the open space between what we believe to be true and what we know to be true.  Everyone "close" to Heath seems to feel he was unaffected by it.  Now most of these people are also in the movie with him, and I guess you could argue it's somehow better for the movie if they say that as the party line.  (I think you could make the perverse counter argument too, though.)  I guess I choose to believe those that 'knew' him, vs. those that merely speculate after watching the movie...  Verne Troyer (and Christopher Plummer) describe some pretty adverse working conditions in London... Heath himself has said that for him the movie making comes between "action and cut," that once filming is done, he moves on...  He's played some pretty intense roles previously (Sonny, Ennis) and had no residual 'problems' from it... 

So, I guess, my opinion (always subject to change), is that while Heath had problems just like the rest of us, I don't really think The Joker contributed to them.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5875 on: July 15, 2008, 12:23:55 pm »

So, I guess, my opinion (always subject to change), is that while Heath had problems just like the rest of us, I don't really think The Joker contributed to them.

Thanks, that comforts me.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5876 on: July 15, 2008, 01:02:38 pm »

I was very moved by Verne Troyers interview on the E! special.

Here's that in two parts on youtube for anyone who missed it. Very sweet.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMZEWKUB9II&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6cXfnjeHA&feature=related[/youtube]

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline optom3

« Reply #5877 on: July 15, 2008, 01:55:19 pm »
I am so worried now about my boys going to see this movie.They are so excited they are couning down the days, but the more I read the more psychologically disturbing it seems to be.
My oldest is nearly 15 but he is disturbed enough without giving him any other ideas.
It would seem That Heaths' performance as the joker is a real tour de force. I will not be able to watch it for some time.Ditto the imaginarium, whenever that debuts, assuming it still will.
The closer the day of general release comes, the more upset I become.Also the more worried about my 12 year old going to see it.I think I am going to have to resign myself to a tantrum from him and just put my foot down.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5878 on: July 15, 2008, 02:47:42 pm »
I don't have kids, so don't have much footing in terms of weighing in on the matter, but I think short of preventing your children from seeing it... honestly is always the best policy right?  Your husband is going with right?  Maybe you guys can all go out for ice cream (or whatever) after it and talk about what you think/feel?

I remember my mom wouldn't let me see Dirty Dancing when it first came out b/c of the abortion content.  I did of course eventually see it at a friends house - where her mom fast forwarded through the scenes she thought were inappropriate.  In reality, I don't know that my mom was really 'protecting' me from much of anything...  (I knew what abortion was, etc.)  Granted, the two movies are entirely different genres.

Now I did read some pretty seedy novels as a youngster that I wish in hindsight I hadn't read... 

And I remember wanting to read or see a special on child abuse that my dad ABSOLUTELY refused to let me watch (in his quiet, Ennis way).  And I am glad for that.

Maybe it would be helpful to talk with your sons about the anticipated darkness of the movie?  Or are they like "yeah mom, whatever"?

;)

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5879 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:51 pm »
Here is the link to rottentomatoes.com http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/ . TDK is getting mostly (very) positve reviews so far.  :) It's updated regularly!