Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772251 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5910 on: July 18, 2008, 11:21:43 am »
I wonder if "I'm Not There" was blurred because of the words or because they didn't have the proper rights to say/display anything about the movie? As well as the others that were omitted from the show....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5911 on: July 18, 2008, 11:26:01 am »
I wonder if "I'm Not There" was blurred because of the words or because they didn't have the proper rights to say/display anything about the movie? As well as the others that were omitted from the show....

L

I thought maybe it had to do with who they acquired the interview from?  i.e. maybe it just wasn't a very good recording to start with. 

'the rights' thing is probably the most practical answer.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5912 on: July 18, 2008, 12:33:03 pm »
from the Variety review:

After Ledger's death in January, his penultimate performance (with Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" still to come) will be viewed with both tremendous excitement and unavoidable sadness. It's a tribute to Ledger's indelible work that he makes the viewer entirely forget the actor behind the cracked white makeup and blood-red rictus grin, so complete and frightening is his immersion in the role. With all due respect to the enjoyable camp buffoonery of past Jokers like Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson, Ledger makes them look like ... well, clowns.

Read the whole thing here:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-critic-reviews/the-dark-knight/
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5913 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:02 pm »
I just find it a little...distressing? disappointing?...not sure of the right word...that on rottentomatoes.com, Brokeback Mountain is 87% while The Dark Knight is 94%. I haven't seen TDK yet, but I just know in my heart that Brokeback is a better movie.

Sigh...

L

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5914 on: July 18, 2008, 12:58:18 pm »
I just find it a little...distressing? disappointing?...not sure of the right word...that on rottentomatoes.com, Brokeback Mountain is 87% while The Dark Knight is 94%. I haven't seen TDK yet, but I just know in my heart that Brokeback is a better movie.

Sigh...

L

Well, your heart is a better measure than rottentomatoes.

I heartily agree, especially after having seen TDK. 

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5915 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »

Sigh...

L

yes Leslie, I understand your feelings entirely, and you're right.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5916 on: July 18, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
Someone posted it on Monday, Heath Ledger - E True Hollywood Story

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEjFlojxAU
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Eu-cyTZGA
part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9abxumKYJs
part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns43T2Lo5iA
part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCW_RaY5tIc

Hi Heathens btw, I've been an occasional lurker on this thread for a few months.

Hi there Whiskeyspring, and a big thank you for posting these links.

I've just watched the entire program and I am very glad that I did, because overall it was respectful and decent.... and with *so* many interesting and illuminating and lovely interview snippets and other clips with Heath... I'm still in love with his voice and the Australian accent.  And that smile!! And the glint in the eyes!

*sigh*

I actually thought many of the interview clips had been blurred, particularly at the beginning - not just the INT one. I thought perhaps they'd done that so as to not distract from him - but i'm not sure what might have been in the background that could have been distracting. I agree that the "I'm not There" text might have felt... uncomfortable in the circumstances.

What I didn't like, was that they used numerous pap pics of Matilda while simultaneously going on about how invaded Heath felt by the paps, and what a lot of discomfort and unease they created in his life.

I also thought it a bit shoddy that they pretty much seemed to indicate Michelle was the one who broke up the relationship and was responsible for "depriving" Heath of his daughter...... they can't know what happened, and even if they were to know, somehow, they had no business making TV entertainment out of it. It takes two to not manage to make a relationship work, so I'm not buying that other angle, however much I love and admire Heath. He wasn't more than human and I'm pretty sure it must have been quite intense and quite challenging to make everyday life work for them.

---

BelAir, thank you very mush for keeping your promise about posting your impressions of the violence types and magnitude in TDK. I much appreciate your comments.  :)

I'm actually still entirely undecided about whether to go see the film. I feel I'm all hyped out.   :-\

The many positive reviews I've read via Rottentomatoes seem to be writtten mostly by men with poorly hidden techno-geek-boys inside and a huge penchant for plots that go Booom.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:07:56 am by Mikaela »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5917 on: July 18, 2008, 10:05:32 pm »
I am very glad I am seeing TDK at 9am in the morning - it will be hours before I go to sleep that night.  I am dreading the horror I'm hearing about, but very grateful to know that for the most part, it's buildup, not overt grossness.

But I am so excited too - and am trying to remember what Heath said, and this I think I am remembering verbatim, "It's the most fun I've ever had in a part - probably the most fun I ever will have."  He loved it and had fun with it, that's the spirit I am hoping to enjoy it in.

Plus I'm going to be with LauraGigs and Lynne, which will be very comforting, I think.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5918 on: July 19, 2008, 12:14:46 am »
I wrote a more detailed review over on the remembrance forum spoilers thread but for my fellow Heathens...

1) Heath is great.
2) It's a comic book movie. The violence didn't bother me because it was either off screen or so over the top as to be ridiculous. Folks might disagree with me but really...this is not a movie that will be keeping me up at night. In fact, by tomorrow, I'll probably start forgetting parts of it...which leads to...
3) I am mystified why this is getting such glowing reviews. It is good but I don't think it is that great. Is it the fact that Heath died and everyone is heaping praise on it? Or the timing is perfect (what other halfway decent movie has come out in the past 4 months? Oh, right, Wall-E.)?

It was fun to see this on opening day and I am glad I did, but I really don't think I'll be rushing back to the theater for multiple repeat viewings.

A bit of trivia: the theater emergency system went off and we had to evacuate...right at a very exciting point. In all of my movie going years (spanning half a century, now) I have never ever had to evacuate a theater. So...big movie on opening day and I got to spend 45 minutes in the parking lot looking at fire trucks. I'll probably remember that more than the movie.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5919 on: July 19, 2008, 12:20:01 am »
And in case you thought I was making it up...LOL...here's proof:

(I am probably breaking some homeland security law taking a picture of a fire truck. Oh well).

L