Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain and the related topics of religion and politics, etc.  (Read 2966 times)

TJ

Howdy Folks!

Bear with me on my thoughts here. I am not a know-it-all as some people on the internet think; but, I am a person who knows-a-lot about a lot of different things because of my formal education and my thirst for more knowledge from books and elsewhere beginning before I started grade school. Much of what I know/learned during my college and university education periods was not from the textbooks nor from the instructors/professors, it was from all of the research I had to do for weekly and term papers.

I often have people ask me to document something I had learned as fact, or told the best I could from memory, in spite of my disability due to a head injury. My response to that was "If I had known that many years later, I would own a computer and got on the internet and needed the references to document my sources, I would have taken more notes while doing academic style study on my own." I never owned a computer until 1998 and what I know about computers and the internet, I learned it by trial and error. And, some of what I know, I had to use a hard-copy manual to half-way understand it.

Oh, when you see typos in my postings, they are not normal run-of-the-mill common mistakes; they are related to the fact that sometimes what my fingers type is not the same as my brain thinks and before I got beat up and hit in the head, I was great at properly spelling words. My "speller" part of my brain still does not misspell words. It's like there is a short-circuit in my brain when my motorskills don't work properly. Oh, I have done quite a bit of reseach on the brain and head traumas, too, which was to help me understand my own disabilities.

While Annie Proulx's original short story only has one reference to religion (that's related to the sad hymn, "Water-Walking Jesus," which Jack Twist's mother taught him and she believed in the Pentecost - Annie Proulx did not write she was Pentecostal, however), the screenplay writers, the director and/or other people related to the final cut of the movie has/have made a big deal of religion in the story.

Here in the United States of America, some people cannot separate their religion from their politics. And, there are millions of people who literally believe that the USA was not only founded on the Bible, they believed that all of the founding fathers, including the ones who signed the Declaration of Independence were "Born-Again Christians."

Some people grew up attending American Public Schools which were still using textbooks published by religious denominations which had/still have their own private schools. A lot of biblically related stuff was in those books and even the illustrations in them were not historically accurate. For instance, every Pilgrim family did not have a Bible in the 1620s. In the Plymouth Colony, the religious leader and maybe a few others cound even afford a Bible. (Oh, my ancestor, Edward Doty, from whom I get my surname, came over on the Mayflower as an indentured servant. He was not a Pilgrim and had run away from home with him having to work off his passage with the guy who paid it.)

Continued in next posting . . .

TJ

. . . continued from first posting.

One of the reasons that I know so much about the history of education in the USA is that while my first college degree did not have "education" as a declared major or even an undeclared minor, the very same degree at the same institution of higher learning now considers one who earns a BA in Education with a major in a specific area of study to be a degree with a double major. I have that BA in Ed.; but, my major was Spanish. I had declared minor in Art and took enough French classes for that to be called a minor subject area, too.

My beginning of the History of Education began I took the "Introduction to Education" course at Northeastern State College (now called a University) in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. We did study how both religion and politics were involved in the development of the education systems in the USA. Most of the first schools and many of the local schools up into the early part of the 20th Century were actually church run schools which were open to anyone in the community. In the TV series "Little House on the Prairie," based on  Laura Ignalls Wilder's "Little House" book series, the school board and the church governing board were the very same people and the pastor of the church had authority over what the teacher taught in the school. I think I have read almost every book Mrs. Wilder wrote.

A great deal of the homophobia in the USA is connected with the religion of Christianity, even when those who are homophobic don't even claim to be Christians. And, many of them will use some preacher's or Bible teacher's words as a source for their attitude toward homosexuals. With the Movie/Film Ennis claiming his folks were Methodists, and the teaching preaching that men who had sex with men should be killed from the proof-texted words for two verses in the OT book of Leviticus, those who killed Earl of the old rancher couple, Earl and Rich, might have even thought they were being Biblically correct. [To proof-text means to take something in writing completely out of its context to fit one's own agenda or mis-interpretation of what the author meant in the first place.]

We have divorced and remarried politicians in the USA who have taken Bibles to the floor of the buildings where laws are made or proposed and they proof-text from them why they believe homosexuals/gays should not be married. Jesus never said one negative thing about those we now call gays; but, he did not appove of divorce except for the case of adultery and he was against a divorced person getting remarried or a person marrying a divorced person. He said to do so would be committing adultery, if one had been divorced and if one married a divorced person, one caused the divorced person to commit adultey. I don't judge people who have been divorced and remarried, I just leave that up to Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

TJ

Brokeback Mountain and being "Politically Correct"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:11:06 am »
I was looking through some of the other discussions and one person brought up the subject of people on another board claiming that the movie was a promotion of "Political Correctness" for gays to have special rights (or words to that effect).

Some people cannot accept sexual orientation or even discuss it without bringing their Bible interpretation and their politics into the discussion. 

TJ

This will be my last post in the BetterMost Forums. I have even removed the bookmark for the website.