Author Topic: How do you like to spend your evenings at home?  (Read 44926 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How do you like to spend your evenings at home?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:29:08 pm »
Well, I like my evenings after work to be really laid-back. Here's my typical, totally non-exciting evening.  I live two long city blocks away from work.  So, I get out of work at 5-ish most nights and I walk home.  And my favorite thing to do is to do a light workout and then immediately change into comfy clothes and make dinner.  I usually eat dinner around 6:30 so that I can watch the news while I eat.  Then most of the time I watch a little TV or read, play with my cat and then... of course spend hours on BetterMost.
 ;D

My job involves a lot of required social things in the evenings so many of my weekday nights get consumed by work just like the daytime hours.  Lately my job feels entirely *too* all consuming.  So, I really love my really quiet, simple time at home.  It helps me to de-stress.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 03:28:52 am »
Amanda, I'm looking at your avatar right now and you look sooooo cute in that hat!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 05:01:53 pm »
Well, I like my evenings after work to be really laid-back. Here's my typical, totally non-exciting evening.  I live two long city blocks away from work.  So, I get out of work at 5-ish most nights and I walk home.  And my favorite thing to do is to do a light workout and then immediately change into comfy clothes and make dinner.  I usually eat dinner around 6:30 so that I can watch the news while I eat.  Then most of the time I watch a little TV or read, play with my cat and then... of course spend hours on BetterMost.
 ;D

My job involves a lot of required social things in the evenings so many of my weekday nights get consumed by work just like the daytime hours.  Lately my job feels entirely *too* all consuming.  So, I really love my really quiet, simple time at home.  It helps me to de-stress.

What is it you do exactly, Amanda? I know what you mean about de-stressing after work, I have the same feeling when I get home.

I usually come home to a clean house, as my boyfriend does the cleaning, and then I start cooking dinner for the both of us and we watch some TV. Then I usually start writing for a bit,on the laptop or in my notebook and then.... NOTHING! Or at least, I try... I need to get away from the computer as much as possible because of the problems with my hand and shoulder, but it's difficult sometimes!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »
What is it you do exactly, Amanda? I know what you mean about de-stressing after work, I have the same feeling when I get home.

I usually come home to a clean house, as my boyfriend does the cleaning, and then I start cooking dinner for the both of us and we watch some TV. Then I usually start writing for a bit,on the laptop or in my notebook and then.... NOTHING! Or at least, I try... I need to get away from the computer as much as possible because of the problems with my hand and shoulder, but it's difficult sometimes!

You're one of the lucky ones!  :laugh:

You've got a good boyfriend there, Melissa!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 05:08:15 pm »
You're one of the lucky ones!  :laugh:

You've got a good boyfriend there, Melissa!  :D

I know! And he's cute too! I will put up a pic of him and me as my avatar!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 05:10:21 pm »
I know! And he's cute too! I will put up a pic of him and me as my avatar!

There he is!! Hi Jan-Willem!!

Yes, he's a cutie!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:46 pm »
That's a really good picture of the two of you btw!  :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 05:48:38 pm »
What do you do?   
I'm an art curator

More than one thing?
no

Work at home?
Avoiding bringing work home with me is a major, daily goal of mine.  But, alas, I often find myself bringing "homework" home.  But, no, I don't technically work at home.

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?
full time

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?  
Yes, this job is my first career job out of grad school and I spent 7 years in grad school hoping to become a curator.  So, sometimes I pinch myself with how lucky I was to land this job right off the bat.  But, it's been a major adjustment starting this job.  And, lots of aspects of it are very different from how I imagined them.  But, yes, I love my job.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:33:47 pm »
Amanda, I'm looking at your avatar right now and you look sooooo cute in that hat!  :D

Thanks David!   :D  I bought it especially for the BBQ in May.  I was sitting right next to Katherine and ohiomyown waiting for the hayride to begin when that photo was snapped. So, it was a very happy moment.

Thanks Kelda for the quote from the thread about what we do for a living.  Yup, I'm a curator at an art museum, so I often have to go to things like dinners and cocktail parties, etc.  Which, of course is often a lot of fun... but even though these things appear to be social events on the surface, there's often a lot of real work involved and I always feel like I'm performing when I'm at those types of events (which at times can be stressful).  I'm not really complaining... but at the moment I feel like my life is almost entirely devoted to work, which is beginning to get me down.

And, yes, Mel, your new avatar is cute. :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 02:14:40 am »
I'm usually extremely eager for my husband to come home about 6:15pm, because by then I am pretty tired from caring for our 4 year old.  I try to have dinner pretty much ready (if I cook - sometimes she and I have already eaten, and husb forages for himself).  Some evenings when he gets home, I am so done that I ask to be able to slip away for a half hour or so, when I read, or BetterMost, or watch TV.  Sometimes (like last night) I fall asleep and never really wake up for the rest of the evening. 

But my favorites are evenings like tonight: I was still feeling strong and chipper when husb came home, and while he and daughter played in backyard, I started dinner (simple tortellini and broccoli). While waiting for the pasta water to boil, we all played with our new tennis rackets in the backyard.  Then we ate and talked and told about our day (daughter went to her very first movie in a real movie theater, so lots ot talk about with that).  Then we all cleaned the table, and played a couple of 4 year old-type table games.  Then husb and daughter did bath and get ready for bed while I BetterMosted.  Then we did bedtime snack and quiet chatting, and husb put daughter to bed while I went to the store and got some things done around the house.  Husb fell asleep right after daughter, and here I am for a last BetterMost session.

I used to talk on the phone to friends in the evening, but don't seem to hardly ever anymore.  Also don't watch much TV.  Mostly BetterMost, chores, reading, or a movie on my laptop.  Quiet things that won't distract my daughter from falling asleep and staying asleep.