Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 948759 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #530 on: May 01, 2017, 10:19:33 pm »
It was easy, since I've done both.

Which one hurts more, writing or childbirth?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #531 on: May 02, 2017, 09:41:56 am »
haha, that's hard to say. Childbirth hurts more but is over faster.

As Dorothy Parker used to say: “I don’t like to write but I love having written.” I would say the same about childbirth.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:09 am »
As Dorothy Parker used to say: “I don’t like to write but I love having written.”

I've never heard that before, but I agree with Dorothy!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #533 on: May 02, 2017, 06:12:25 pm »
haha, that's hard to say. Childbirth hurts more but is over faster.

good answer!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #534 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:51 am »
I am certainly having peculiar dreams this week, and it strikes me as even more peculiar that I'm remembering them!

Yesterday I found some Youtube videos of interviews with some of the cast of The Musketeers (done at a comic-con in Manchester, U.K., in 2016). I suspect this may have had something to do with one dream I had last might. This dream, which was almost a comedy, was like an "alternative universe" fanfiction (the kind where the writer takes characters, like Ennis and Jack, out of their "real" environment and puts them in some entirely different environment). I was with "D"Artagnan" and "Constance," except we were in a Western!  :o  :laugh:  I remember standing in the street of what looked like a typical town set for a Western movie, and looking up at a house on a hill outside the town, and thinking to myself, "This is just like Little House on the Prairie!:laugh: I knew that the three of lived in the house together. The scene then shifted to the house. "Constance" went outside with a basket of laundry  ??? while I was having a chat with "D'Artagnan," who was wearing a pink shirt (the kind with two rows of buttons up the front).  ??? I remember that he and I decided that if we were ever attacked by hostile Indians Native Americans, he would fight them and I would be the one to run for help because I'd be terrible at fighting!  :laugh:  Then the scene shifted, and I was outdoors looking across a small valley at a hillside where "Constance" was hanging up that laundry.  :laugh: As I watched, suddenly a group of outlaws appeared. I looked around, but I was alone, so I drew my six-shooter and fired, and I was very surprised that I actually hit one of the outlaws!  :laugh: (In RL I haven't fired a gun--a rifle--in probably 40 years, and when I did I was a terrible shot!) That's all I remember of that dream.

I swear I'm not making that one up! I suspect the particular characters appeared because those Youtube videos yesterday were interviews with the actors who played those roles. I would also suspect the "laundry" part is related to my anxiety over--I hope--finally getting my new clothes dryer repaired next week. Where the "Western" element came in I'm not sure, though perhaps it stems from a thought I had a few days ago. I'm following along in a very good, very well-written "canon" Musketeers fanfic, and I remember thinking that cowboys may have a similar role in the U.S. mythos as Musketeers have in their own European setting--both are good fighters and manly men who place a high value on personal honor.

And if that little comedy wasn't enough, I then had a dream that I was in this old, abandoned house; someone was with me, but I can't remember if I even saw this person's face. Anyway, I was in a room that was full of antiques. I remember seeing a 1920s-style kitchen stove, and an early type of electric icebox, and thinking that both could be worth a lot of money because they were in excellent condition. Then I remember searching through a silver chest, looking for "sterling," but all I could find was "plate." That's the last I can remember of that dream.

Could it be that dream was provoked because recently I've been thinking again about all the stuff in my home that I'd like to get rid of? I have no idea where the antique kitchen appliances came from, but I actually do have a chest full of silver-plate flatware that I'd like to get rid of, except that nobody buys "plate," only "sterling."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #535 on: May 03, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
Both of those dreams are very interesting, friend. I notice that you are starting to have more insight into your dreams and you are letting them influence your waking experiences. As this happens, I predict that, more and more, you will have more dreams and remember them and use their insights.

The first dream made me think of other historic archtypical stories that have been or could be reinterpreted in the Western mileu. I immediately thought of Don Quixote and The Lone Ranger (especially the Armie Hammer/Johnny Depp version). That is quite rich fodder for your fiction.

The second dream was interesting to me because you noticed all the things in the room. I theorize that you yearn for the old-time ways of doing things and the gadgets of today leave you cold. You are also searching through the debris of life, looking for the silver among the dross.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2017, 06:55:24 pm »
I had a crazy/fun dream  the other night, and I know exactly what caused it.

:laugh:

I found a website that lets you read comics free online.  While I don't read new comics (I'd pay for those) I will read older comics that are no longer available for sale.   The stories I was reading were super hero ones, so (of course) I dreamed I was a super hero.

Anyway, I was in a team of heros, I didn't recognize any of them, my powers were magic based, sort of like a witch, shooting bolts  of  magic energy out of my hands.  However, my main power was that I was empathic, able to feel the emotions and feelings of others, and (if necessary) pull those feelings from them,  to help them heal.

The fight against the villains was taking place by a cemetery, and one of the villains had a bull-horn like device that amplified the feelings of the restless spirits, and it would hit me like a physical force.  Think of someone growling/screaming, and amplify it by 10.

The funny part was, I had fallen asleep with the window open, and at one point in the dream, just when I was being  surrounded by that loud growl/scream, two motorcycles sped past my apartment, with their motors screaming....I woke with a start, and almost shot up in the bed. 

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #537 on: May 03, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »
My powers were magic based, sort of like a witch, shooting bolts  of  magic energy out of my hands.

Did glitter come with those bolts of magic energy?  ;D

But we all know you're a good witch, Sweetie!  :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #538 on: May 04, 2017, 09:40:10 am »
Unfortunately last night I dreamed nothing nearly so entertaining as Tuesday night.  :laugh:  I remember seeing my grandmother, but I remember nothing of the context.  :(

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #539 on: May 04, 2017, 07:01:23 pm »
Did glitter come with those bolts of magic energy?  ;D

But we all know you're a good witch, Sweetie!  :-*

Hardy har har!

Actually, I've just come close to finding a similar outfit to what I had on in my dream.  LOL   Although, not as form fitting as in the pic!   :laugh:

I can remember black leather boots, black jeans, a red t-shirt, black leather jacket and red gloves.  I searched "super hero leather jacket" and found a "redone" version of Superboy from the 90s that had a similar look.  I didn't even know they remade him this way.

As far as my powers, I know exactly the source.  I was binge reading "New Teen Titans" and one of the characters was a young woman named Raven.  Her mother was human, her father, a demon set upon taking over the universe.   Raven spent much of her time suppressing her own emotions, so her father's influence would not take her over, and make her evil.   As in my dream, my powers matched hers.