Author Topic: Topic of the Week 1/07: Did Ennis know early on that he was in love with Jack?  (Read 15289 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
The way you have phrased the question, I'd almost have to say "Not until he found the shirts." It's the application of THAT WORD which makes me put so late a date on it. WAS he in love with Jack? I would say as soon as the feeling of friendship had been translated into passion....by the seoond night in tent.

Maggie (B73) has an interesting theory. She thinks he realizes Jack was in love with HIM when Cassie says "Girls don't fall in love with fun." In other words, he realizes that just because he's "no fun," (sometimes)...would no more keep Jack from loving him than it did Cassie.

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
The way you have phrased the question, I'd almost have to say "Not until he found the shirts." It's the application of THAT WORD which makes me put so late a date on it. WAS he in love with Jack? I would say as soon as the feeling of friendship had been translated into passion....by the seoond night in tent.

Maggie (B73) has an interesting theory. She thinks he realizes Jack was in love with HIM when Cassie says "Girls don't fall in love with fun." In other words, he realizes that just because he's "no fun," (sometimes)...would no more keep Jack from loving him than it did Cassie.

Interesting perspective you have on this topic..   Seems to be very logical, but whose to say love's logical?

Offline Jeff Benson

• Jr. Ranch Hand
He loved the comfort he felt with Jack, he loved being with him there
on that mountain,he knew that his life had changed.A remarkable thing
happened, Ennis began to come out of his shell and he began to realize
for the first time in his life he was happy  8)
Hello everyone

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Your thoughts, Jeff, made me think of that line in the story "Thought he could paw the white out of the moon."  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"