Author Topic: What do you think of Spanking?  (Read 14945 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What do you think of Spanking?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 07:42:15 pm »
"I'll move in with David!"     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I bet you could have had him lined out in a couple a weeks!!  :P 

:laugh:  :laugh:

>:(  >:(

;) ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 03:10:09 am »
I had a similar experience Jeff. My Grandmother kept a yummy tasting, marshmallow flavored liquid in a bottle on top of her toilet tank. The first thing I would do when we arrived at grandma's house was to run up the stairs and into the bathroom to drink some of it. One day my mother caught me doing it and she swatted me within an inch of my life. Then it was dad's turn. Then I got a long lecture from my grandmother. I still don't know what that stuff was, but I never touched it again after that day.

I was always eating and drinking things I shouldn't. Mom stopped buying me crayons because I would eat them. I was always disappointed to find out the purple crayons didn't taste like grapes and the yellow ones didn't taste like lemons. I ate paste in school too. Lots of it. And I often sucked the sugar coating off those One A Day vitamins. Once, I went through a half a bottle of them. I didn't swallow them. I'd just suck off the sugar coating and then spit them out. I also remember eating half of my mother's lip stick! I got in BIG TROUBLE for that!  :laugh:

And I got swatted each and every time I did something like this. After I got punished, I would stop eating that one particular item I was being punished for, but I always found something new and different to try. I was a weird kid, I guess.  ;)  :D

I am giggling just thinking about your eating habit david.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 01:48:53 pm »
I voted parental choice.  It should be used only as a last resort and should never be done in anger.  I also think no impliment should be use.  The flat open palm against the buttocks only, just firm enough to get their attention combined with a stern talking to and time to reflect in private.  Likewise I think after the punishment has been metered out it is important to reinforce that the child is still loved and it is not the child but the behavior that is unacceptable.  So many grow up with damaged self esteem because parents fail to do this.
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 01:21:55 am »
the P.E.T. model does not imply anything about income level.  It implies that withdrawal of reward (or of positive attention) can be a potent influence on child behavior.

Jeff does bring up an excellent point about age being a factor in being able to apply the method though.  However I disagree that spanking is more suitable for younger children who don't quite grasp logical consequences.  I think it is less suitable.

Well, I don't see how you can escape it, when 'rewards' imply something a child is getting/wants to get.  Positive attention from the parent?  Well, I guess that's OK if a child feels close to their parents and wants to hang out with them.  Again, the P.E.T. model makes assumptions about a child's home life, both in income and relationship with the parents.

If a child is too young to grasp logical consequences, then talking to them, time outs/privileges lost isn't going to make much sense to them either. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 10:58:42 am »
If a child is too young to grasp logical consequences, then talking to them, time outs/privileges lost isn't going to make much sense to them either. 

That's what I was thinking, unless, in a situation where the child has attempted to do something potentially dangerous, somehow the "talking to" is gonna scare the bejeezus out of them.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 07:25:04 am »
That's what I was thinking, unless, in a situation where the child has attempted to do something potentially dangerous, somehow the "talking to" is gonna scare the bejeezus out of them.

well younger kids don't understand danger like we do...they think they are immortal or death is something that is not permanent....and when they get old enough to conceptualize it...well, then you are the parent and what the heck do you know??

:laugh: :laugh: