Author Topic: Black Hats, White Hats  (Read 61025 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Black Hats, White Hats
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2007, 03:12:07 am »
That point about Ennis's coat is very interesting.

Yes, and he wears it constantly from the bus station scene to the end of the movie. I think we once wondered whether it was a sign that Jack was dead by the time Ennis was in the bus station.

The other interesting clothing detail in the Earl scene is what little Ennis is wearing -- his jacket and shirt faintly echo THE two shirts.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2007, 06:40:03 am »
Friends, thank you for your kind welcome.

I had never noticed before that Ennis was already wearing the coat at the bus station. Somebody says that there is also a Jack-like figure with a black hat passing by in the street, perhaps Jack quitting this world. Wow. I am not sure Jack dies that day, but I would think he is already dead, that's why Ennis is so depressed: he is waiting for an answer to his card and Jack is not responding. Why is he in a bus statio anyway, he who never travelled farther than round a coffee pot? Is it a sign that he is ready to travel a bit further to meet Jack?

Sorry, back on topic, Texan hat/fisherman hat. These reflect the social progress made by each, Jack being more affluent and living in a nouveau riche, show-off environment; Ennis getting poorer and never making it as a proper cow boy, remaining just a ranch hand. He had to squash his professional ambitions to remain available for the fishing trips. And perhaps this is why he wears a fisheman hat: Jack and the fishing trips are always on his mind. Perhaps also he wants to be as inconspicuous as possible by wearing a discreet hat? Perhaps he no longer feels he is worthy of being a cowboy with his shameful secret? While Jack tries to project an image of the successful, happy man he would like to be and hides his pain, frustration and  feelings of inadequacy under his flamboyant hat and behind his moustache.

As regards them wearing clothes that remind them of each other, did you notice the coat hanging in the entrance of Ennis's flat ? Very reminiscent of Jack's coat on the mountain...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:53:10 am by mouk »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2007, 10:44:06 am »
Yes, and he wears it constantly from the bus station scene to the end of the movie. I think we once wondered whether it was a sign that Jack was dead by the time Ennis was in the bus station.

Yep. It was actually me who brought up this idea. By then it was just an idea, but meanwhile I'm sure it's true.
It's Ang Lee's equivalent to Annie Proulx' Ennis didn't know about the accident for months...

What still strikes me is the uncanny likeness of Ennis' jacket and his father's. I've seen it interpreted as a sign that Ennis homophobia is getting even worse by the end and that he will end up being/thinking the same way like his father (sans the cruelty).
But I don't believe that since I don't see Ennis that way at all. I think the jacket with it's anthacite (almost black) color is a sign of death. I call it the death-jacket for myself.

As regards the hats, Jack wears a brownish hat, ie darker than Ennis but lighter than his own, on 3 occasions and on all those occasions he asks Ennis to come and live with him: at the Reunion, after the divorce, when he suggests Ennis moves to Texas. This intermediate colour could therefore be something like mingling, becoming one? By the final weekend at the lake he has a black hat again, he has lost hope of being together.

Randall has a brownish hat too - willing to share a cow and calf operation, if only Jack asked him?

I find this idea very intriguing. Does Jack wear the lighter hat only at these three occasions? And what do we make of the even more light hat(s) he wears in Texas? At both occasions we see him with the farm machines (one time praising it to customers, the other time with Bobby) he wears a light hat similar to the ones Ennis wears.

Oh, hold on a minute. While typing this, an old idea comes back to my mind: when being together, each wears his "own" colors: tan/brownish earthy tones for Ennis and intense blue and black for Jack. When away from each other, they often wear the other ones colors. Jack's very light Texas hat fits into this theory.

BTW while looking screencaps at stripedwall I just noticed that Jack wears his original black hat from Brokeback at the "You're late" fishing trip.

And not to forget: welcome to BetterMost Mouk! What an insightful first post you gave us.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2007, 10:58:36 am »
Why is he in a bus station anyway, he who never travelled farther than round a coffee pot? Is it a sign that he is ready to travel a bit further to meet Jack?

Ooooh, good one, mouk! And let me add my voice in welcoming you to BetterMost. You certainly are starting out with some great posts.

I'd never heard or thought of the idea that Ennis' bus station visit being a sign of him wanting to go further -- either literally or figuratively -- in his relationship with Jack. We've talked about the two guys standing at the counter, one in a white hat and one in a black hat, as representing a hypothetical Ennis and Jack going off on a life together. But maybe there's even more going on. Come to think of it, why is Ennis in the bus station? Is Riverton that devoid of cheery coffee shops or cafes that you'd have to go to such a bleak place for a piece of pie? Or is that a sign that Ennis is ready to "make a move"? I've always leaned toward thinking that Ennis wanted to improve their relationship when they met in November, so I'm partial to this theory. Thanks, mouk!

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2007, 11:28:14 am »
Penthesilea, Latjoreme, hi! Thanks for the welcome, I am enjoing this thread.

The bus station - like you I always found it strange that he was in a bus station of all places. Especially considering that he seemed to have his favourite bar in town. It was the mention of  men with black and white hats buying tickets (I have not spotted them yet, look forward to yet another detail to take in) that gave me this idea, as, like you, I have always been of the opinion that by that time Ennis was ready for some change. Probably going somewhere metaphorically rather than geographically for the time being (eg giving more of his time to Jack), but who knows, perhaps he was finally starting to give more consideration to that cow and calf operation?

Back to the hats:
the very white hat with Bobby in the tractor and while selling tractors - somebody mentioned, very astutely, that the very white hats were the straight men (Jimbo and his friends, the tractor buyers). In this case, Jack is trying to conform, and to give the image of a straight man. Ennis is just off-white, ie trying desperately to look straight and conform to straight principles and way of life , to convince himself that he is staight really, because he was quite sure that's what he should be; while Jack, more confortable with his sexuality, just lies blatantly to others (very white, not off-white) for convenience and for his own safety but he does not lie to himself (he never gives up on the black hat)

Black hat at the 'You're late' fishin trip. This is a trip when he does not mention anything about living together. He is abiding by the rules that Ennis has set for their relationship, and trying to make the most of what he gets without asking for more. But he arrived before Ennis although he has such a long drive to do, he is VERY keen to see his man and keep him, whatever the conditions.

The Reunion and the After Divorce are scenes where he goes to Ennis with the express intention of arranging a future together - these are almost marriage hats. I don't think he intended to make another attempt during the 'come to Texas' fishin trip, he just happens to mention it because the conversation leads this way. But it is the only other scene apart from Reunion and Divorce when he mentions living together, and he wears a brown hat, so there must be some link. Perhaps to show that living with Ennis was always on his mind? His answer to Ennis comes out so spontaneously, he was just 'thinkin out loud' ie this was in his mind all the time and just escaped from his mouth.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2007, 11:56:58 am »
Penthesilea, Latjoreme, hi! Thanks for the welcome, I am enjoing this thread.

I have always been of the opinion that by that time Ennis was ready for some change. Probably going somewhere metaphorically rather than geographically for the time being (eg giving more of his time to Jack), but who knows, perhaps he was finally starting to give more consideration to that cow and calf operation?

I know I'm going far, but I'm one of those who are sure Ennis was coming around, respectively had been coming around if Jack hadn't died. And I'm sure he at least gave the Cow&Calf operation some earnest consideration.

Back to the hats:
the very white hat with Bobby in the tractor and while selling tractors - somebody mentioned, very astutely, that the very white hats were the straight men (Jimbo and his friends, the tractor buyers). In this case, Jack is trying to conform, and to give the image of a straight man. Ennis is just off-white, ie trying desperately to look straight and conform to straight principles and way of life , to convince himself that he is staight really, because he was quite sure that's what he should be; while Jack, more confortable with his sexuality, just lies blatantly to others (very white, not off-white) for convenience and for his own safety but he does not lie to himself (he never gives up on the black hat)

Interesting.

Black hat at the 'You're late' fishin trip. This is a trip when he does not mention anything about living together. He is abiding by the rules that Ennis has set for their relationship, and trying to make the most of what he gets without asking for more. But he arrived before Ennis although he has such a long drive to do, he is VERY keen to see his man and keep him, whatever the conditions.

The Reunion and the After Divorce are scenes where he goes to Ennis with the express intention of arranging a future together - these are almost marriage hats. I don't think he intended to make another attempt during the 'come to Texas' fishin trip, he just happens to mention it because the conversation leads this way. But it is the only other scene apart from Reunion and Divorce when he mentions living together, and he wears a brown hat, so there must be some link. Perhaps to show that living with Ennis was always on his mind? His answer to Ennis comes out so spontaneously, he was just 'thinkin out loud' ie this was in his mind all the time and just escaped from his mouth.

I agree with much of what you've said, but in one thing I disagree: Jack proposing a move to Texas was not a slip. The topic may have come from Ennis' side, not initiated by Jack. But he saw the chance and was determined to use it. Look at his face and his tone, the casual manner was only pretended (when he shrugs while mentioning it). And Ennis knows it. That's (one of the reasons) why he blows up right the next second.
It may have been spontanously, but notwithstanding deliberate.
Missed chance, I'd say. May have been better to take Ennis' concerns more serious instead of using them for his (absolutely legitimate) goal. Jack was trying to take advantage of Ennis' revelation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:02:59 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2007, 12:10:16 pm »

Ever notice that its still the middle of the day when Ennis arrives even after Jack said goodby to Lureen and drove for 14 hours? Logisticaly it could be the next day were it not for Jack wearing the same shirt.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:41:15 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2007, 12:17:38 pm »

Ever notice that its still the middle of the day when Ennis arrives even after Jack said goodby to Lureen and drove for 14 hours? Logisticaly it could be the next day were it not for Jack wearing the same shirt.

Well, the shirt alone doesn't indicate it's the next day. Or is it so uncommon to wear a shirt for more than one day?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2007, 12:37:06 pm »
Well, the shirt alone doesn't indicate it's the next day. Or is it so uncommon to wear a shirt for more than one day?

Jack would want to have a clean shirt on for Ennis, as well as Ennis for  Jack. Remember Ennis checking his shirts as he packed them for that very same trip?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:40:02 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2007, 01:53:59 pm »

More good observations, mouk! I hadn't thought or heard about this before.