Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115570 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2015, 10:41:18 pm »
We must hold the line against the 'ofs' of the world, Gil! Don't get me started on pronunciation and grammatical pet peeves! I'm overrun with them!

Now that I live by myself, I have escaped from a pet peeve in the kitchen: having to scoop all the bits of food and trash out of the left side of the sink and put it in the right side of the sink where there's a garbage disposal. I used to have to do this several times a day, but no more! (unless you count the times I do it over at my daughter's house, where I hang out two afternoons a week.)

I've never seen a sink garbage disposal. I don't even understand the concept. Why not just put the stuff in the garbage?

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 10:02:27 am »
I'm reviving this thread, not just because it's Throwback Thursday but because I realized a behavior that peeves me very much. Have you ever noticed there are certain people you call who never answer their phone? Never! So you have to leave a message every time. And then, five minutes later, they call you. You answer, and they say "This is so-and-so." And then they don't say anything and that's when you realize that they didn't listen to your message and you are going to have to repeat it over again! Why do such people even have voicemail?  :P

Oh, I hate that too!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 10:06:31 am »
My biggest pet peeve is people writing should of instead of should have or should've. Aaargh! It's so rampant that I'm sure it will soon be accepted.

Oh yeah, that annoys me, along with there, their and they're,  hear and here, your and you're, past and passed, and all the other ones that people mess up.

I seems to happen so often, that I posted this to my FB page one day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2015, 07:12:31 pm »
Speaking of bad grammar:

[The Polling Place] Re: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate? 
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2015, 07:39:33 pm »
:laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2015, 05:07:26 pm »
Speaking of bad grammar:

[The Polling Place] Re: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate? 

Oh yes, I've noticed that one too. But put it down to some secret inside joke among English speaking people.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:52 pm »
Writers of historical fiction (stories, books, or screen plays) who use "okay" or "OK" in stories, etc., that take place somewhere besides the U.S. and sometime before the 1830s.

The OED surmises that "OK" was first used in the U.S. in the 1830s, and the oldest written reference to it comes from the Presidential election of 1840, when it came to be used to refer to President Martin Van Buren, whose nickname was "Old Kinderhook" from his birthplace in the state of New York. According to the OED, during that election campaign, supporters of Van Buren formed what was called "the OK Club."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2018, 06:06:47 pm »
People who leave old food in the office refrigerator and let it stink the fridge up.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2018, 09:34:36 pm »
Yes, that is the pits! Even in laissez-faire companies, some kind of policing is important, e.g., label the food with your name and date.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2018, 09:36:03 pm »
Isn't this a great topic that dot-matrix started? Thanks for bumping it, Chuck!
"chewing gum and duct tape"