Author Topic: Turbulence - new story by midwest-girl (Amy)  (Read 17185 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Turbulence - new story by midwest-girl (Amy)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 08:09:15 am »

SPOILER

it is first mentioned when he jumps from the wreckage, but it says in the narrative he wasn't sure when it happened, which I'm not sure makes it any clearer.  Even in a crash, I would think the snapping of  one's wrist would register.  I've been in car crashes but obviously not a plane crash.  At any rate, my believability factor was triggered by the narrative of Jack moving around gathering up things and rolling over the dead man etc, with no mention of his injuries which, if they are snapped bones in his wrist and snapped ribs, he would hardly be able to drag anything, with his good hand, and certainly not be able to heft anything of any weight with broken ribs, one-handed.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 04:42:38 pm »
SPOILER

it is first mentioned when he jumps from the wreckage, but it says in the narrative he wasn't sure when it happened, which I'm not sure makes it any clearer.  Even in a crash, I would think the snapping of  one's wrist would register.  I've been in car crashes but obviously not a plane crash.  At any rate, my believability factor was triggered by the narrative of Jack moving around gathering up things and rolling over the dead man etc, with no mention of his injuries which, if they are snapped bones in his wrist and snapped ribs, he would hardly be able to drag anything, with his good hand, and certainly not be able to heft anything of any weight with broken ribs, one-handed.

******************SPOILERS!!!*****************************************************

Well, I thought the plane crash was totally believable. Obviously, I have never been in a plane wreck, but I'm sure there is much confusion and chaos. And when people are severely injured, the body produces narcotics (I forget what it's called) which prevents them from feeling pain. And even if they could feel discomfort, the instinct to survive would take over and motivate them to get to safety in spite of the pain and their injuries.

Remember the stories of the grandmother lifting the car off the grandson? I realize this is an urban legend, but people will do amazing and seemingly impossible things during a crisis.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 05:18:40 pm »
that is possibly true, but to me, if I am wondering how someone can turn over a dead man with a broken wrist and scavenge a wreck for blankets with broken ribs, then the story has an issue of believability for me, if it isnt an issue for you then enjoy!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 05:23:45 pm »

I was in a car crash one time.  I had a dislocated thumb, and a giant knot on my eye where it connected to the steering wheel on impact.  I felt totally fine, when the police officer asked if anyone was injured, I said no im fine...
      After we had emptied the car into the back of the police cruiser and got into the back seat for him to drive us fifty miles to the nearest hospital.  My endorphins *David stopped working, and then it hit me.  I had a hand I could hardly move, and a big lump on my head..So yes its possible to do that....I have also heard of Rodeo riders being killed, after an injury that they said was fine.  They walked over sat at a bench, and died sitting there...Those endorphins are very powerful things.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 05:53:36 pm »

I was in a car crash one time.  I had a dislocated thumb, and a giant knot on my eye where it connected to the steering wheel on impact.  I felt totally fine, when the police officer asked if anyone was injured, I said no im fine...
      After we had emptied the car into the back of the police cruiser and got into the back seat for him to drive us fifty miles to the nearest hospital.  My endorphins *David stopped working, and then it hit me.  I had a hand I could hardly move, and a big lump on my head..So yes its possible to do that....I have also heard of Rodeo riders being killed, after an injury that they said was fine.  They walked over sat at a bench, and died sitting there...Those endorphins are very powerful things.

Yes. That word sounds familiar. I remember a doctor telling me those endorphins are very closely related to morphine. It's a very powerful narcotic produced in the brain. It totally numbs the pain for a short while.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 06:02:36 pm »
well that is where I run into the believability problem.  The pain, yes.  However, endorphins will do nothing for allowing a broken joint to support a hand when it is broken, regardless of the pain.  if only one of the bones in the wrist is broken it is physically possible to lift very very light things, possibly, for a short time, but not if both bones are broken - the wrist will not move to allow the hand to carry.  I got this information from two people who have had broken wrists.  One of them broke his wrist being thrown from his motorcycle.  He was able to put his hand on the handlebar, but was not able to apply the clutch.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 07:14:47 pm »

ok

Beautiful mind

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 09:59:17 pm »

Yeehaw!  Chapter 2 is up already.  8)

http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/9663.html

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 12:59:41 pm »

Yeehaw!  Chapter 2 is up already.  8)

http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/9663.html

SPOILERS

Thanks, Amanda. 

That feeling of being completely lost and abandoned is so intense.  It's hard to wrap your mind around it as a possibililty, let alone have to deal with it as a reality.

So...now we know more about Ennis.  I like Carpenter!Ennis - that's a good fit.  And their situation certainly is conducive to personal revelations.  I really liked the sort of ebb and flow of their conversation - how they each were able to talk the other back from the edge. 

So many questions....from what point in the future is Jack narrating?  How long will they be stranded?  I look forward to seeing what the next chapter brings. 

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 03:10:55 pm »

So many questions....from what point in the future is Jack narrating?  How long will they be stranded?  I look forward to seeing what the next chapter brings. 

Marie

Yeah, I was thinking what could happen is that they are rescued pretty quickly and go back to their own lives and then start to miss something. I am probably totally wrong on this, though!