Author Topic: What did you used to do?  (Read 9166 times)

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What did you used to do?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:40:55 pm »
Let's see... before BBM... *squints eyes and furrows brow, purses lips slightly in an effort to recall a far-off time, which seems as long ago as the last picnic in Brigadoon...*

Before BBM, I had one less vehicle and metaphor available to help me try to make sense of my own wacky life.  I had 2 fewer sheep-herding friends caught in a long-distance, long-time, heart-wrenching love.  I also had far fewer positive comments on my ebay feedback, and more dollars in my wallet.  Oh, and more tears clogging up my heart.  Thanks, Jack and Ennis, for helping me breach the dam.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 07:58:58 pm by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
I first saw the movie in March 2006, and find it hard to believe that it is only 3 and a half months ago.....surely its longer ago than that....no its not....but it feels like forever....

Before i saw the movie, i used to get all my housework done, my ironing was up to date, i saw my friends more often, i watched a bit of tv, i talked more to my husband, i had the bookwork for my business up to date......

Since Brokeback, I have found message boards and browsed thru them constantly for hours, made new friends, chatted to new friends for hours, downloaded brokeback video clips, saw the movie so many times i forget how many, watched the video clips i have downloaded over and over again.....quickly done a little bit of housework, paid a lady to do my ironing, phone my friends instead of visiting them, then back to message board, chat with new friends....etc...etc....now there is just never enought time, never enough.

But i wouldnt want to change a thing....I am glad Brokeback got me good, I am glad i got Brokeback in my life, I needed Brokeback in my life like a dear friend, I dont want to quit you....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 02:37:38 pm »
I spent quite a bit less time online, I can tell you that.  ;)

I did spend some time online every day surfing, reading some news and editorials, and commenting on a liberal-ish political board I liked every now and again.

If you don't mind if I turn your question around a little - one thing I do now that I definitely didn't do before seeing Brokeback is expect movies to invade my soul - to shake me up and make me think, and to stay with me for a long time afterwards.  If they don't pull me in from the beginning and have the potential to do that, I turn them off or I walk out - they ain't worth my time.

Damn you, Brokeback.  You've ruined it for me - enjoying mediocre movies.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 03:41:34 pm »
I like this post  :)

Before BBM I used fill my day with dull, slightly entertaining television shows.  I used to dream of taking my honeymoon in the British Virgin Islands (we ended up spending it in Alberta at filming locations!!).  I used to like the same movies as my husband but he just doesn't get this one like I do.  I used to have days free of movie characters who felt entierly too real and their devastating love stories.   But like everyone else ... I wouldn't trade my post-BBM life for anything  :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 09:17:35 pm »
Right now I divide my life into 2 sections, before BBM and after.  Before Brokeback I read a book a week.  I still do, but BBM is the only narrative I really want to read.  I saw a lot of movies.  Still do, but now I compare every movie I see to BBM and none of them measure up.  I worried a lot more before BBM, but now I don't worry as much, am not nearly as anxious.  Ennis and Jack touched my soul, and I'll admit it, they keep me company, distract me when I am down.  Before BBM I was never obsessed with anything, never got excited, was really serene.  And I refuse go back to the time of my life before Brokeback.  I am so grateful that this beautiful movie was made.  It healed me, caused me to feel again! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 10:37:22 pm »
And I refuse go back to the time of my life before Brokeback.  I am so grateful that this beautiful movie was made.  It healed me, caused me to feel again! :)

You aren't the only one, Littlewing!

Me too! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 11:37:18 pm »
You aren't the only one, Littlewing!

Me too! :)

Yes, David, the universe really hooked us up, didn't it?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 12:03:00 am »
.  Before BBM I was never obsessed with anything, never got excited, was really serene.  And I refuse go back to the time of my life before Brokeback.  I am so grateful that this beautiful movie was made.  It healed me, caused me to feel again! :)

Whata wonderful way to put it, I too was like you before Brokeback, and am  also now like you since Brokeback....I love how you say.."caused me to feel again".....what a perfect way to explain what is happening to us.

It is so remarkable that so many of us have exactly the same feelings....so many of us have never had such an obsession, never been in a message board, and so many of us get that same "feeling" when we think of Brokeback.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 07:42:43 am »
Whata wonderful way to put it, I too was like you before Brokeback, and am  also now like you since Brokeback....I love how you say.."caused me to feel again".....what a perfect way to explain what is happening to us.

It is so remarkable that so many of us have exactly the same feelings....so many of us have never had such an obsession, never been in a message board, and so many of us get that same "feeling" when we think of Brokeback.

I completely agree.
I remember my garden looked a lot better this time last year. Now it's a mess, but that's because of the heat wave, of course  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 11:08:47 am »
Before Brokeback Mountain...

:)I had never even considered to join an online community
 :)I never in my life believed I could become so engrossed in a movie
 :)I hadn't seen a proper love story
 :)I read books, reviews, and articles that were not about two sheepherders who fall in love
 :)I watched movies that were not about two sheepherders who fall in love
 :)I could not figure out who Heath Ledger was, because he is like a chameleon and I still can't even believe it was the same Heath in "10 things I hate about you".
 :)I didn't think Jake Gyllenhaal was cute (I'm a fool, I know...)
 :)I had never bought a cowboy hat
 :)I had never bought cowboy boots
 :)I had never heard of Gustavo Santaolalla and now he is all over my iPod

;)