Author Topic: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University. Good Idea?  (Read 13794 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University. Good Idea?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 11:43:56 pm »

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »
Why let a murderer speak at a place for education ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:53:59 pm »
He murdered not only hundreaths, but thousands of gay men in his country, and that is his FREEDOM ONLY, and NOT the ones killed only because they were gays !!

Where is the FREEDOM of those he murdered ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:11:53 am »
Why give credit to a murderer ?

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:32:13 am »
Why give credit to a murderer ?

No one is giving credit to a murderer, I suppose what people hope is that by attempting to understand the people who promote such ideas we may be better able to do something about it.
It is a 2 way thing a well, in that if some people do have even the slightest sympathy for the man, then perhaps when they see the words come out of his mouth directly, they will change their opinion.They cannot then blame papers or journalists for twisting words..
The vast majority of Iranians cannot stand him, but are too frightened to speak out, for fear of their lives.I examined a cardiac surgeon back in England who had fled Iran because of his views and was therefore in fear of his life.It was very very sad to see an intelligent, articulate man on the verge of tears.He just wanted to go back "home"
He feared he would never in his lifetime see his country again.
I have no sympathy or empathy with any form of extremism, be it religious, political or other.But by its nature the extremism is in the minority. I do not see how we can go into a country and kill thousands of innocent people in the hopes of getting maybe 10 hard core extremists.
We all get so wound up about what is going on overseas, yet we have our own forms of extremism and pure undiluted hatred on our own shores.I have heard intelligent middle class people here in Florida spout such anti gay filth  as they live here behind our protective gates.These people claim to be educated, but they are not.They have tunnel vision in its extreme form.
I have had to work long and hard with my oldest son, who started to pick up the evil gay bashing dogma at school.Finally I have got through to him, by pointing out that many people consider all those with mental illness should be "put down".That would mean both him and me should be put out of our misery.Indeed that is exactly what Hitler did.
There is evil throughout the world and one way to try and stamp out evil is by educating, example and showing that there is a better way.Should we not try to lead by example.I know it is a liberalist wishy washy thing,but before we look across the water and start throwing stones, should we not look in our own backyards first.
I can think of plenty of middle class white Americans and British who have zero tolerance of gays,indigenous tribes, any religion bar their own.First set our own houses in order,before looking elsewhere.I think the single most important sentence in the bible is, let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
I do not condone any of the evil that goes on in the middle or far east.But equally I do not condone a lot of what goes on in western civilisation either.
I find it hard to be completely self righteous as I have not live a completely blame free life myself.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 03:41:46 pm »
Merci, yes thanks optom !

Would you invite an known terroist to talk at an university ?

May I ask ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »
I think that it is absurd to invite someone who has pledged to destroy the US and Israel to speak anywhere in either country.

If it is a good idea to invite Aquavelvajob to speak here in the US in 2008, then perhaps it would have been a good idea for the US to have extended an invitation to Adolf Hitler to speak in an American university sometime in the years before WWII.

"Say 'Dolphy, what's up with the book burnings, glass breaking, and beatings in your country?"

What really is the difference between these two bigoted, murdering thugs? One commanded a powerful industrialized nation, the other wishes to do so.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

You well illustrated your post and point.

Maybe you can point out that Mahnoud    Ahmadinejad,             is like China too ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 04:04:39 pm »
I think that Aquavelvajob and the Iranian mullahs are far, far, worse than the rulers in China! The Chinese dictators are not our friends, but I do not see them as plotting our ultimate demise.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 10:08:32 pm »
Both bring dope into our countries ??