Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera  (Read 44815 times)

moremojo

Re: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera (NO WAY!)
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 11:43:32 am »
The modernist twelve-tone serialist tradition to which Wuorinen belongs actually seems like it could be quite appropriate for such a spare, austere, and even bleak story. I doubt the soundtrack will ever take off and enter people's hearts like Gustavo's for the film, but approached strictly within the context of the staged work, the score might prove quite fitting.

It also occurs to me, considering the atonal tradition founded by Schoenberg, that some of the characters may express themselves in Sprechgesang rather than lyrically. I could easily imagine the character of Ennis being written in this way.

Scott6373

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 11:57:55 am »
The modernist twelve-tone serialist tradition to which Wuorinen belongs actually seems like it could be quite appropriate for such a spare, austere, and even bleak story. I doubt the soundtrack will ever take off and enter people's hearts like Gustavo's for the film, but approached strictly within the context of the staged work, the score might prove quite fitting.

It also occurs to me, considering the atonal tradition founded by Schoenberg, that some of the characters may express themselves in Sprechgesang rather than lyrically. I could easily imagine the character of Ennis being written in this way.

I wouldn't classify dodecophany as spare.  Actually I would say it's the opposite.  With 12 tones, rather than the traditional 8, the variations in color, harmonic progression and orchestration is almost unlimited.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 12:16:31 pm »
I thought these were the names being floated for the proposed musical...I don't think either of these gentlemen (Hugh Jackman and James Marsden) would have the requisite piping ( ::)) for opera.

I thought the same thing, Scott. Didn't make sense to me. Sounds like Leslie's source had its stories crossed.

How 'bout we cast Scott (not you, our Yankee friend) as Ennis?  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 12:43:05 pm »
I thought the same thing, Scott. Didn't make sense to me. Sounds like Leslie's source had its stories crossed.

How 'bout we cast Scott (not you, our Yankee friend) as Ennis?  :D

Me?  Hell no...I could never plumb the depths of that man.  Nice thought though.  Could I be there when they cast Jack...you know...to see if I can kiss him without vomitting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 01:25:21 pm »
Me?  Hell no...I could never plumb the depths of that man.  Nice thought though.

Sure, you. This is opera. You can s-a-a-a-n-g, and I'm sure you can act.

Could I be there when they cast Jack...you know...to see if I can kiss him without vomitting.

There's an image I could have done without.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 02:20:27 pm »
This is all really exciting news!  :D

It brings new (ironic) meaning to the line in the film... "as long as I don't have to sing"!
 :laugh:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 02:27:16 pm »
Bring it on, expand my horizons, I never expected to ride this long.  :-*
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 02:27:29 pm »
I'm super, ultra skeptical of this venture.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 02:33:12 pm »
I'm super, ultra skeptical of this venture.

Tell you what, so am I, but it's still fun to think of you and Milo Morris singin' Ennis and Jack.

Hubba hubba.  ;D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »
Tell you what, so am I, but it's still fun to think of you and Milo Morris singin' Ennis and Jack.

Hubba hubba.  ;D

:D :D :D ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."