Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8854611 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14710 on: October 27, 2016, 01:26:12 pm »
Ya'll moved in?

In my current job I've had to deal with several moves within one building, but none to an entirely different building. They were nuisance enough.

On a previous job I did have to deal with a couple of moves to different buildings. They were a pain.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14711 on: October 27, 2016, 01:28:49 pm »
Hiya Sonja and Jeff.

Not totally moved in yet, but getting there.  I suspect that things will be happening that will cause unpacking to happen until t he end of November.

LOL

Sonja, I have to do my usual job while all the unpacking is going on.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14712 on: October 29, 2016, 06:08:35 pm »
Happy weekend BetterMostians!

Hope that everyone is doing well!

I'm getting ready for a Halloween party tonight.  I'll stop at a bakery on the way for some treats, and then, hit the party.

My costume (I can't recall if I discussed it here) is a fedora, pulled down over my forehead, a black mask, a long black cape that covers my clothes.  When I open the cape, it reveals a T-shirt that says "Blessings To You".

Any ideas?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14713 on: October 29, 2016, 09:32:50 pm »
When I went downstairs to pick up my mail, I ran into one of my young neighbors coming back from walking his dog. He (the neighbor, not the dog  ;) ) was all made up for Halloween. His face was made up in black and white to look more or less like a skull, and he was wearing an orange shirt with a bow tie, and black trousers with black braces. I thought his makeup was very impressive, so I said so and asked him if he'd done it himself. He said he had, and it had taken him an hour. He said he was going to a friend's party and then, in a somewhat hushed tone--which I found odd--he said he would probably go out to "the bars." I'm not sure what he meant by that, I don't even know if he's gay, and I've never seen him in my Usual Watering Hole.

But his makeup job was very impressive!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14714 on: October 30, 2016, 10:47:09 am »
sounds like a cool look for Halloween!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14715 on: November 01, 2016, 02:02:42 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!

How is everyone doing?

Counting down the hours here at work (2.5 left) and then out for the night.  I think I may skip bowling tonight, and get some  rest instead.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14716 on: November 12, 2016, 12:07:22 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!

How is everyone doing?

I've had the week of work, just spent time running around, getting things done, cleaning the apartment, shopping, and relaxing in general.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14717 on: November 12, 2016, 11:13:02 am »
How is everyone doing?

I've had the week of work, just spent time running around, getting things done, cleaning the apartment, shopping, and relaxing in general.

It's been a weird week. I've been pretty absorbed in this Trump stuff. It feels like it's right up there with 9/11 and Katrina -- one of those huge national disasters that has you glued to your TV and/or computer.

Next week, I'm embarking on a two-week trip. The first week is an all-expense paid trip to New Orleans for a fellowship for journalists who write about aging (part of my job is writing for a special section for people 50+). That will be fun and busy -- doing the fellowship-related things, which involve going to a bunch of panels and talks by the Gerontological Society of America, plus getting together with old friends (as you probably know, I lived in New Orleans for six years). I think I've got a dinner engagement pretty much every night, and the fellowship will reimburse me for all meals, which is particularly great in New Orleans. I'm also getting together with a few people I met at the last fellowship I went to in NYC in June, when I saw you and Meryl and John.

For the second half of the trip, I'm going from NOLA to Denver, where my brother lives. I'm flying my son up from LA to meet us, then we're going to be spending a few days in a rented house in Breckenridge, CO, also with my brother's daughter Kelly, Kelly's mom, and Kelly's boyfriend, whom I haven't met but have heard is quite an interesting guy. Kelly's mom, Pat, was not expecting me and Cy to join them when she rented the house, so I'm hoping we're not too crowded in there. Pat was extremely warm and welcoming about it, though.

To be honest, I'd rather spend the time in Denver, but that's a novelty for me, whereas it's just normal for them, so I can see why they'd like to get away. I think they do this every year.

Lee, if you're reading this, I'd love to see you while I'm there. It will be a tight schedule, though. I'm getting in late Monday night, we're leaving for Breckenridge Wednesday and returning, I believe, on Sunday. Then I leave Monday afternoon. Tuesday I suggested to my brother that we make a pie and maybe some other food (I'm not sure how they plan to handle the food thing), and Cy is coming in on Tuesday night. But if you have time on Tuesday or on Sunday, let me know (I'll contact you on FB as well, in case you miss this).

Among all the other things I have to do, which are kind of stressing me out, I have a packing challenge. In New Orleans, it will be in the mid-70s. In Breckenridge, it will be winter (or something close to it). Jeff, I know you would have started figuring out these solutions about three months ago, but I haven't really. I'm going to have to pack pretty much all of my clothes, including a warm coat. And I don't like my clothes -- I've gained weight and they're getting tight, but I don't want to buy new ones, and I hate shopping, so they're also getting kind of ragged looking.

Macy's has a 30% off event on all clothing on Sunday, and I'm hoping to dash over and pick up a few things.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14718 on: November 12, 2016, 08:59:30 pm »
Wow!  Sounds like a lot to get done, Katherine!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14719 on: November 13, 2016, 12:01:35 am »
Next week, I'm embarking on a two-week trip. The first week is an all-expense paid trip to New Orleans for a fellowship for journalists who write about aging (part of my job is writing for a special section for people 50+). That will be fun and busy -- doing the fellowship-related things, which involve going to a bunch of panels and talks by the Gerontological Society of America, plus getting together with old friends (as you probably know, I lived in New Orleans for six years). I think I've got a dinner engagement pretty much every night, and the fellowship will reimburse me for all meals, which is particularly great in New Orleans. I'm also getting together with a few people I met at the last fellowship I went to in NYC in June, when I saw you and Meryl and John.

For the second half of the trip, I'm going from NOLA to Denver, where my brother lives. I'm flying my son up from LA to meet us, then we're going to be spending a few days in a rented house in Breckenridge, CO, also with my brother's daughter Kelly, Kelly's mom, and Kelly's boyfriend, whom I haven't met but have heard is quite an interesting guy. Kelly's mom, Pat, was not expecting me and Cy to join them when she rented the house, so I'm hoping we're not too crowded in there. Pat was extremely warm and welcoming about it, though.

That all sounds pretty exciting!  :D

Among all the other things I have to do, which are kind of stressing me out, I have a packing challenge. In New Orleans, it will be in the mid-70s. In Breckenridge, it will be winter (or something close to it). Jeff, I know you would have started figuring out these solutions about three months ago, but I haven't really. I'm going to have to pack pretty much all of my clothes, including a warm coat. And I don't like my clothes -- I've gained weight and they're getting tight, but I don't want to buy new ones, and I hate shopping, so they're also getting kind of ragged looking.

Oh, I don't know. I've never had to pack for a trip that included two different climates. My only suggestion would be--layers, layers, layers. I wish I'd known about your trip sooner. I would have at least suggested that if you have the time--and the budget--to get yourself a new "base layer" from some place like Under Armour. They're warm, they don't take up much space, and they dry quickly, so you would only have to pack some lighter layers to be worn without the base layer in NOLA and over top of it in Breckenridge. Check out Rick Steves' advice for women travelers on his web site.