Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8855103 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14810 on: February 13, 2017, 12:08:32 pm »
Oh, freezing rain yesterday for the morning and afternoon, but it stopped later and melted.  Laundry is done and I'm ready for the week.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14811 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:59 am »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

how is everyone doing today?

Happy Valentine's Day!

Trying to do something silly at work!   Looking for large pics of classic Super Friends Valentine's, and giving them out as a joke.

How is everyone else?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14812 on: February 14, 2017, 11:43:42 am »
Proper spelling: Usch då.  :laugh:

In Minnesota, where it's a common but kind of folksy term, we spell it uff-da.

I can see why you don't think Marge Gunderson sounds Swedish. She's from northeastern Minnesota, a mining area where the accent is influenced by people from Serbia and Croatia, so it's a little different -- not that people there sound like Marge, either. Really, hardly anybody does.

But people in Northwestern Minnesota, a farming area a long way from big cities, sound just faintly Swedish. You might not pick up on it, though, because you'd have less of a regular American-English base to compare it to, if that makes sense.

The Coen Brothers grew up in Minnesota, so I'm sure they know the Fargo accents are ridiculous. They even made people in Minneapolis talk like that. I think it's one of their little jokes.

But they made another movie called A Serious Man that's set in Minnesota -- the suburbs of Minneapolis. I don't know that they ever explicitly mention the location in the movie but that's where they filmed it, near where they grew up. And in that movie, nobody talks even remotely like that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14813 on: February 14, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »

I think that's the spelling used on the Web site oldlutheran.org. The site has entire separate sections on uff-da, lutefisk, and lefse. It also has a humor section featuring "Ole and Lena" jokes. (Personally I prefer the section on "You might be a Lutheran if," as in, "You might be a Lutheran if the only pew open is the front one, so you volunteer to shovel the sidewalk," or, "You might be a Lutheran if you forget to put water in the baptismal font, but not in the coffeemaker.")

I figure whoever runs the site must be from Minnesota and so feels free to make fun of Minnesota Swedes--because he probably is one.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14814 on: February 14, 2017, 05:41:24 pm »

You mean that very Swedish expression is actually in use over there? That's interesting, I didn't know that. I wonder how y'all pronounce it?

But people in Northwestern Minnesota, a farming area a long way from big cities, sound just faintly Swedish. You might not pick up on it, though, because you'd have less of a regular American-English base to compare it to, if that makes sense.

Of course it makes sense.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14815 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:07 pm »
I think that's the spelling used on the Web site oldlutheran.org. The site has entire separate sections on uff-da, lutefisk, and lefse. It also has a humor section featuring "Ole and Lena" jokes. (Personally I prefer the section on "You might be a Lutheran if," as in, "You might be a Lutheran if the only pew open is the front one, so you volunteer to shovel the sidewalk," or, "You might be a Lutheran if you forget to put water in the baptismal font, but not in the coffeemaker.")

I figure whoever runs the site must be from Minnesota and so feels free to make fun of Minnesota Swedes--because he probably is one.

Yeah, all of that sounds totally Minnesotan. It's an increasingly dated stereotype of Minnesota, which for example now has the highest population of Somalis outside Somalia. But it's the traditional one.

I wonder how y'all pronounce it?

OOF-duh.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14816 on: February 15, 2017, 11:52:26 pm »
Trying to do something silly at work!   Looking for large pics of classic Super Friends Valentine's, and giving them out as a joke.

Did you find any?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14817 on: February 16, 2017, 11:49:20 am »
Yeah, all of that sounds totally Minnesotan. It's an increasingly dated stereotype of Minnesota, which for example now has the highest population of Somalis outside Somalia. But it's the traditional one.

OOF-duh.

This was said on NYC Radio today,  one of the djs is originally from Wisconsin.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14818 on: February 16, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
Did you find any?

Why, yes!  Yes I did!  ;laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14819 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:01 am »