Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 2858498 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15040 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:51 am »
I am 73  ;D  :(  I do online banking and book airlines and hotels etc online., take photos on my cell phone but prefer my camera. I am here so obviously use computer (Macs), as a teacher-librarian I use to teach students to search on engines before Google (Alta Vista comes to mind but there were others) but what is Roku?  ;D Sounds like Sudoku which I do not do.
I do prefer a keyboard so gave my Ipad to my sister (older but with arthritis) and wander round the world with a laptop. and is one reason I do not like using cellphones for anything other than calls. I can text but it takes forever, my fingers keep hitting the wrong letter.

Yes, I think that in terms of techological skillfulness, age is not a determinant. But there is a correlation. Like I said, the guy at the senior center who was running the program was in his 80s.

And I keep trying to tell my 22-yo to put his phone on "find my phone" and he claims he can't do it. I told him I did it and it took 5 minutes. I told him his dad did it, and he can hardly order a book off Amazon. As for my ex, he's 54 and doesn't care to learn about anything beyond what it takes to do his job, which is a fair amount since he's a reporter. (Plus history, which he likes to read about.) I can't explain my son. He certainly knows how to use Snapchat and Spotify and all those other things the kids are into these days.

Brian, Roku is a system that lets you watch streaming video via your wireless if you don't already have a "smart TV" that can do that by itself. You probably have some alternative technology with a different name, I would think.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15041 on: May 31, 2017, 10:08:54 am »
"Find my phone"? Is that the thing you're supposed to do so it can be tracked if it's lost or stolen?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15042 on: June 03, 2017, 10:21:06 am »
"Find my phone"? Is that the thing you're supposed to do so it can be tracked if it's lost or stolen?

Yes. It's pretty effective. I set it up when I was at work, and it could show me where in the building my phone was. My ex-husband has used it a couple of times -- once it was at someone's house and he and his dad went there and got it back. The other time it was lying in the sidewalk about a mile from his home, and he got there just as some family was picking it up.

You can even set it so it beeps even when it's turned off or the battery is dead, so if it slips into a chair cushion you can dig it out.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15043 on: June 05, 2017, 08:43:28 pm »
From going check-less to smart phones that you can "find"......gotta love technology!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15044 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:34 am »
From going check-less to smart phones that you can "find"......gotta love technology!

Though of course it also has its downsides.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15045 on: June 06, 2017, 01:16:04 pm »

It's great when it does what it's supposed to do, but when it doesn't. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15046 on: June 07, 2017, 04:46:08 pm »

yes, that is true!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15047 on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:24 pm »
Hello Bettermost friends!

How is everyone feeling?   Hope y'all are doing well!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15048 on: June 08, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »
Hello Bettermost friends!

How is everyone feeling?   Hope y'all are doing well!

Oh, I'm not at all well. My neuralgia is bad and my back hurts.  :(

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15049 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:28 pm »
damn.....I'm sorry to hear this, Jeff.

Has the doctor said anything about your neuralgia?