Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8680832 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15180 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:36 pm »

I'm just saying that to change an entire culture, introducing holidays that never before had been celebrated, and somehow scamming people into celebrating them -- that seems beyond the power of retail alone. Perhaps some people in the culture just think those things are fun, I don't know. Culture influences in a lot of different ways. Some reinforce trends and sales. But I still give people a little credit for either accepting things or not.

That makes me think of Patriots Day on September 11. Various politicians have tried to make it into something, but so far, luckily, their plans have not taken hold. Possibly in the New York area they have, but not elsewhere.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15181 on: December 01, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »
Oh, believe me, I'm not saying retailers never try tricks to boost sales, or that the tricks never work. Black Friday, even here, is one good example.

I'm just saying that to change an entire culture, introducing holidays that never before had been celebrated, and somehow scamming people into celebrating them -- that seems beyond the power of retail alone. Perhaps some people in the culture just think those things are fun, I don't know. Culture influences in a lot of different ways. Some reinforce trends and sales. But I still give people a little credit for either accepting things or not.

Trying to think of an example. OK, Grandparents' Day. Does any U.S. citizen even know what month that would be in? But I think it is a real "day" here, and retailers -- at least card manufacturers, which play an important role in most of these -- have tried to push it, without success.

I don't know the exact date, but I think it was September.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15182 on: December 01, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »
September?

I vaguely remember something else called "Children's Day," which I'm sure didn't fly. I mean, if you've got kids, isn't every day "Children's Day"?

Too bad retailers haven't caught on to International Talk Like a Pirate Day.  ;D

Card manufacturers (and florists?) seem to have caught on to Secretary's Day and Boss' Day.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one who guessed September.  I seem to remember sending cards to my grandparents for  this day.

I've also heard parents say that "every day is Children's Day".   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15183 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:09 pm »
I've never seen that observed, either, but I don't work closely with secretaries, or secretaries who have bosses. The latter seems pretty scummy, BTW. Secretary's Day, fine. But Boss' Day?? Isn't the fact that the boss probably makes 20 times more than the secretary enough, without her having to suck up to him/her with a card and flowers, too?

Nice to know my memory was right for Grandparents' Day!

Regarding Secretary's Day and Boss' Day,  I've received token 'gift cards' on Secretary's Day, which is now called Administrative Assistant's Day, I believe.   On Boss' Day I get  my boss and immediate supervisor a card, but no monetary gift to go with it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15184 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:42 pm »
That makes me think of Patriots Day on September 11. Various politicians have tried to make it into something, but so far, luckily, their plans have not taken hold. Possibly in the New York area they have, but not elsewhere.

Isn't that April 19 in Massachusetts?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15185 on: December 02, 2017, 11:01:27 am »
I propose that for some of these minor days we follow the example of the valiant Europeans trying to fight them off.

You can treat your grandparents, your administrative assistant or your boss any time. Setting up a day that's not that widely known might just set the potential recipients up for disappointment.

As for "children's day," when my children were really young, a casual friend invited me to a gathering in a park as "a day to honor our children." I was like, "Oh, for god's sake, don't we do enough of that all the time already?" I didn't go.

The statistics might surprise you. Both mothers and fathers, including those working full time and otherwise, spend more time with their children now than they did in Beaver Cleaver's day. Mothers spend more than fathers, of course. But both spend more time than earlier generations did, even when the phrase "stay-at-home mom" would have seemed weirdly redundant.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15186 on: December 02, 2017, 12:10:42 pm »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15187 on: December 02, 2017, 01:20:30 pm »
Oh, OK. Still, the same explanation might be similar -- perhaps those European retailers are struggling and they picked up the idea from US retail and are hoping to capitalize on it there.

I like to give the general public a little more credit for independent thinking. Who knows, though. I do think everybody's affected by the culture they live in, and certainly the retail industry is part of that culture. But even retail here started getting into Valentine's Day and Halloween decades ago -- maybe as early as the late 19th/early 20th century, and gradually developed over a long time into what it is today. It's hard to believe a retail establishment could suddenly start selling and advertising products -- elaborate costumes and decorations and gifts and cards and foods and all that stuff -- and the population will all fall in line and start buying it, whether they like it or not. But if you see it happening, maybe so!  :)

Well, of course it's been a gradual process over the years.

Regardin the struggling retailers, I don't think they need to be struggling to pick up anything new that might enhance their profit. They'll pick up anything and everything, esp if it's American since the American culture had such a major influence here for so many years. Ever since the war, actually.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15188 on: December 02, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
Just as McDonald's has taken over the world. ...

Exactly. And coca cola.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15189 on: December 02, 2017, 02:30:44 pm »
did someone say "Coca Cola"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCsFvVg0UY[/youtube]