Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8681006 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15190 on: December 02, 2017, 09:15:02 pm »
Regardin the struggling retailers, I don't think they need to be struggling to pick up anything new that might enhance their profit. They'll pick up anything and everything, esp if it's American since the American culture had such a major influence here for so many years. Ever since the war, actually.

No, you're right, of course they always want to enhance their profits no matter how they're doing. I'm just saying retailers are struggling, and maybe they're not as powerful as it would seem. At least here, they're hardly the greatest -- and far from the only! -- source of cultural influence.

i am surrounded by Coke and McDonald's and I never consume either. There's a Coke in my refrigerator right now (my son's) and I wouldn't dream of drinking it. Not on some big anti-capitalist principle, just because I don't really like them (I do kind of like Burger King, so every now and then I grab a plain small burger from there). But I can see how both would have their purposes, and how people might actually enjoy the products. I don't think you can sell people something they don't want.

I don't mean to suggest that commercials have no influence on the public, but it's hard to imagine someone watching a commercial and then heading out, zombielike, to get the product. "Must have Coke ... Must have Coke ..." or "Must celebrate Halloween ..."

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15191 on: December 03, 2017, 12:37:43 am »
I would not drink a coke if you gave it to me. Sometimes when you buy fast food they give you a cup of coke (although I think it is usually Pepsi) with it. I always tell them to throw it out (or better not pour it in the first place). I prefer a shake or a fruit juice even if I have to pay for it.  I do not like fizzy drinks much. I will sometimes have a lemonade and I keep some bottles of lemon,lime and bitters in the refrigerator for after I have been working in the garden on a hot day.
I must admit to being addicted to Big Macs. I was teaching in a school just a few blocks from where they built the first MacDonalds in the Southern Hemisphere (1971) I thought a Big Mac was the most wonderful food invented and I still like them although I probably only have one every 2 or 3 months.
These days I am more likely to buy a Subway (However I have found the menu in Australia/NZ is very different to the one in the USA.)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15192 on: December 03, 2017, 11:16:44 am »
I don't mean to suggest that commercials have no influence on the public, but it's hard to imagine someone watching a commercial and then heading out, zombielike, to get the product. "Must have Coke ... Must have Coke ..." or "Must celebrate Halloween ..."

Oh, subliminal messages......:laugh:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-10-best-subliminal-ads-ever-made/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15193 on: December 03, 2017, 11:20:57 am »
Regarding sodas, I do like them, but don't drink them as much as I used to.   The regular ones are too sweet, and the diets have too much chemicals in them.

When I do want one, I will have a "coke life".

Coca-Cola Life is a lower-calorie version of Coca-Cola, made using stevia and sugar as sweeteners. It has 27 kilocalories/100 mL, containing only 60% of the calories of regular Coca-Cola.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15194 on: December 03, 2017, 02:29:24 pm »
did someone say "Coca Cola"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCsFvVg0UY[/youtube]

Yuck. Talk about cynicism.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15195 on: December 03, 2017, 02:33:51 pm »

That's not how these things work. The impact is a lot more subtle and multifaceted than that.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15196 on: December 03, 2017, 04:55:14 pm »
Regarding sodas, I do like them, but don't drink them as much as I used to.   The regular ones are too sweet, and the diets have too much chemicals in them.

Coca-Cola Life is a lower-calorie version of Coca-Cola, made using stevia and sugar as sweeteners. It has 27 kilocalories/100 mL, containing only 60% of the calories of regular Coca-Cola.

Really? It comes in a green can? How long have you been drinking it/how long as it been around? I've heard of Coke Lite, but I've never heard of Coke Life before. (Until I saw the can, I thought "Life" was a typo for "Lite.") No foolin', I've never seen that in stores down here, and I'm not that far from you.

If I want a soda on a "school night," I'll have a Caffeine Free Coke--not Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Caffeine Free regular Coke. I'll drink the regular Coke on weekends.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15197 on: December 03, 2017, 09:42:38 pm »

Oh, subliminal messages......:laugh:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-10-best-subliminal-ads-ever-made/

I studied subliminal advertising in college and I remember a few of these! But, like whoever wrote that feature, I always wondered why that would be particularly effective. I mean who runs out for a beverage because they subconsciously notice the word "sex" in the ice cubes? I remember several other ads like that -- where naked bodies or, in one case, a skull, could be seen in the cubes, and another one where the big capital letters were shown reflected in liquid that made them look like they said S-E-X. (I'm trying to think what they were -- CFV? The F and V could reflect as E and X, but the S would be all twisted. Still, maybe it was close enough.)

Another method I remember reading about was to flash single frames with pictures of Coke during the commercials or trailers before movies -- the eye wouldn't really register it but the brain would. If that's actually how the eye and brain would work, I can see that being effective.

But I bet the most effective are the ones that are recocognizable enough to draw controversy and attention. Remember that ad from a few years ago -- I can't remember the name of the fast-food chain but the ad was a picture of a giant elongated sandwich aiming into a shocked-looking woman's wide open mouth? A lot of people hated that one, of course, but I'm sure it got attention for the chain and probably some business.

The other day I drove past a tow truck from "Kamel Tows -- the best tows are Kamel Tows!" That one was kind of gross. If I'm getting my car towed, that name, memorable though it might be, is not going to be a big draw.

But I remember a butcher shop in New Orleans with the slogan "You can't beat Wagner's Meat!" I thought that one was a bit more subtle and humorous. Plus it was New Orleans, where people like controversial things if they're funny.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15198 on: December 03, 2017, 09:48:28 pm »

Wow, I've never even heard of that! Do you get it in the regular store? Do you think it's maybe just on the East Coast for now? And like Jeff said, is it really a green can? ???

Those are the exact same two reasons I don't drink Coke or Diet Coke. Plus I'm not that big on the flavor of either. I do get one every now and then, say if I'm on a long drive. But I'd much rather have Coke Life, if I can get it. Does it taste less sweet than regular Coke? My other problem is that I don't like most sweet beverages.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15199 on: December 03, 2017, 09:50:51 pm »
That's not how these things work. The impact is a lot more subtle and multifaceted than that.

Of course not. I'm sorry, I was joking. But I do think influence from the retail industry is just one small piece of a much bigger cultural puzzle.