Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8680408 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15200 on: December 03, 2017, 09:58:15 pm »
I keep some bottles of lemon,lime and bitters in the refrigerator for after I have been working in the garden on a hot day.

I like this idea because it doesn't sound too sweet.

I must admit to being addicted to Big Macs. ... although I probably only have one every 2 or 3 months.

I only have one every 2 or 3 decades, but I can see enjoying one, if memory serves.

These days I am more likely to buy a Subway (However I have found the menu in Australia/NZ is very different to the one in the USA.)

Oh yeah? What do you have? I do go to Subway now and then, and almost always get the same thing. Tuna on wheat with pepper jack, toasted, with most of the vegetables, especially banana peppers, a light sprinkling of jalapeños, olives, spinach.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15201 on: December 03, 2017, 10:37:16 pm »
The other day I drove past a tow truck from "Kamel Tows -- the best tows are Kamel Tows!" That one was kind of gross. If I'm getting my car towed, that name, memorable though it might be, is not going to be a big draw.

But I remember a butcher shop in New Orleans with the slogan "You can't beat Wagner's Meat!" I thought that one was a bit more subtle and humorous. Plus it was New Orleans, where people like controversial things if they're funny.

In my home town, there is a shop where they repair automobile radiators. The shop's slogan is "A Great Place to Take a Leak."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15202 on: December 03, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »
Oh yeah? What do you have? I do go to Subway now and then, and almost always get the same thing. Tuna on wheat with pepper jack, toasted, with most of the vegetables, especially banana peppers, a light sprinkling of jalapeños, olives, spinach.

I always have a 6 inch Italian bread
My favourite is 3 pepper chicken, sometimes a chicken classic or roast beef. With chicken I add avocado and usually old english cheese, toasted. I usually have tomato, lettuce, onion and carrot for salad. I have Italian dressing and pepper no salt. On my last trip I went to Subways in Whitehorse, Canada and, while i do not remember what I had, it was ok. However back in 2014, my first night in LA and jetlagged, I went to a Subway nearby and could not see anything I liked.
I do not like jalapenos, do not know what a banana pepper is. I like spinach cooked and grow my own but not really as a salad. While I sometimes open a tin of tuna for a sandwich at home, I do not really like it, much prefer salmon. I get an orange juice unless I am going to have a coffee at another store in the food mall (depends how many coffees I have already had that day, I try not to go past 4)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15203 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:06 pm »
I always have a 6 inch Italian bread
My favourite is 3 pepper chicken, sometimes a chicken classic or roast beef. With chicken I add avocado and usually old english cheese, toasted. I usually have tomato, lettuce, onion and carrot for salad. I have Italian dressing and pepper no salt. On my last trip I went to Subways in Whitehorse, Canada and, while i do not remember what I had, it was ok. However back in 2014, my first night in LA and jetlagged, I went to a Subway nearby and could not see anything I liked.
I do not like jalapenos, do not know what a banana pepper is. I like spinach cooked and grow my own but not really as a salad. While I sometimes open a tin of tuna for a sandwich at home, I do not really like it, much prefer salmon. I get an orange juice unless I am going to have a coffee at another store in the food mall (depends how many coffees I have already had that day, I try not to go past 4)

Banana peppers are yellow elongated peppers. They can be hot or sweet. At Subways here, they're sliced and slightly spicy and pickly. Not as hot as jalapeños.

It sounds like another big difference is that we don't have "carrot" as an option. Not only is it not available at Subways, but also an American would never say "carrot" that way. I've noticed that British people do (which no doubt explains Australia and New Zealand usage, as well). We would say "lettuce, onions and chopped carrots." Lettuce is still lettuce whether it's in a head or chopped. Chopped onions are referred to as "onions" even if it's just bits of one onion. But carrots are always plural, distinct objects. If they're cut in little pieces, it's "chopped carrots."

Offline brianr

« Reply #15204 on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:27 pm »
But carrots are always plural, distinct objects. If they're cut in little pieces, it's "chopped carrots."
To be precise I would say grated carrot for what I get at Subway. At home I chop carrot into slices before cooking it. For a salad I would grate it lengthwise.
I would only use the plural if there was more than 1 carrot.

Offline brianr

« Reply #15205 on: December 04, 2017, 01:37:02 pm »
I would not say I am a great fan of carrot(s) but I have a vitamin A deficiency which causes a skin rash. Orange coloured food is suppose to be good. I had rock melon nearly every day at morning tea when I lived in Australia but it is not so easy to get a good one down here in Dunedin. I have never cooked pumpkin, too much trouble. I have a cod liver oil tablet every morning. My mother use to have a teaspoon of cod liver oil every morning but the thought of it makes me shudder.
At home I cook a carrot by chopping it, putting it in a bowl with some orange juice and honey and then microwave for a minute and a half. And at Subway I always add carrot to the salad order. I cannot eat anything spicy so jalapenos and peppers are avoided. If anything has chili in it, I automatically avoid it.  I sometimes have pizza with salami and enjoy eating it but know I will have to get up during the night and take a tablet.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15206 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »
Of course not. I'm sorry, I was joking. But I do think influence from the retail industry is just one small piece of a much bigger cultural puzzle.

Ah ok, I didn't realise you were joking.

And I agree, of course there's generally more to it than retail, but when it comes to pushing American holidays here, retail has been playing a very big part.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15207 on: December 04, 2017, 08:53:25 pm »
Really? It comes in a green can? How long have you been drinking it/how long as it been around? I've heard of Coke Lite, but I've never heard of Coke Life before. (Until I saw the can, I thought "Life" was a typo for "Lite.") No foolin', I've never seen that in stores down here, and I'm not that far from you.

If I want a soda on a "school night," I'll have a Caffeine Free Coke--not Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Caffeine Free regular Coke. I'll drink the regular Coke on weekends.

Wow, I've never even heard of that! Do you get it in the regular store? Do you think it's maybe just on the East Coast for now? And like Jeff said, is it really a green can? ???

Those are the exact same two reasons I don't drink Coke or Diet Coke. Plus I'm not that big on the flavor of either. I do get one every now and then, say if I'm on a long drive. But I'd much rather have Coke Life, if I can get it. Does it taste less sweet than regular Coke? My other problem is that I don't like most sweet beverages.

Coca-Cola Life is a lower-calorie version of Coca-Cola, made using stevia and sugar as sweeteners. It has 27 kilocalories/100 mL, containing only 60% of the calories of regular Coca-Cola.  It was created in Argentina and Chile after five years of research together in these countries.

The drink contains stevia leaf extract.   Coca-Cola Life is the first branded Coke product to use stevia leaf extract.   However, it is not the first product owned by the Coca-Cola company to use stevia. Over 45 products distributed by Coca-Cola use stevia extract,[5] including Vitamin Water and Seagram's Ginger Ale.

Coca-Cola Life contains sugar, but uses less sugar than traditional Coca-Cola. An 8 US fluid ounces (240 ml) serving contains around 60 calories, 17 grams of carbohydrates of which 17 grams is sugar (equals 1/3 less sugar than traditional Coca-Cola). The list of ingredients is carbonated water, cane sugar, caramel color, caffeine, phosphoric acid, and stevia.

The roll-out of Coca-Cola Life in the United States began in the summer of 2014, with the product being sold at a number of locations of The Fresh Market grocery store.   Nationwide distribution began on November 4, 2014.  The release of Coca-Cola Life is the first Coca-Cola product launch in the U.S. since 2006.

Prior to the full-scale national launch, the market research firm Haynes & Co. said that early research findings showed a positive view by consumers toward the drink.   The company plans to host 4,000 events at stores where people can sample the drink for free.    To help with its advertising and public marketing campaign, the company hired Fitzgerald and Company to develop strategy and promote the product on social media.

While it does have a sweet taste to it,  I don't think it tastes as sweet as regular Coke, and yes, it comes in green labeling.   For 6-packs, the cans are green and easily seen.   For the 12-packs, the green cans are inside a green box.

The glass 6-pack comes in a green carrying case.

Most convenience stores  sell the single bottles, so you can try them that way.  I've seen them in coolers in 7/11 and Quick Chek.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15208 on: December 04, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »
The other day I drove past a tow truck from "Kamel Tows -- the best tows are Kamel Tows!" That one was kind of gross. If I'm getting my car towed, that name, memorable though it might be, is not going to be a big draw.

But I remember a butcher shop in New Orleans with the slogan "You can't beat Wagner's Meat!" I thought that one was a bit more subtle and humorous. Plus it was New Orleans, where people like controversial things if they're funny.

ewwww to the Kamel Tow one!   Wagner's Meat is funny!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15209 on: December 04, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »
In my home town, there is a shop where they repair automobile radiators. The shop's slogan is "A Great Place to Take a Leak."  ;D

:laugh: