Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8904845 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17950 on: January 06, 2024, 11:18:44 pm »
January 6th, Little Christmas, Epiphany.  I spent part of today taking down the tree and all the Christmas stuff.  Definitely not as fun as putting it up, but I do like the apartment looking back to its usual self, and roomy again as well.

I'm at my dad's for the weekend. I took down the Christmas tree today. The outdoor lights are still on the tree at the end of the driveway because I wasn't about to deal with them in a storm of snow and rain.

I took my own things down New Year's Day. I hadn't intended to do that, but I was concerned I might have to be away from home for an extended period, so I packed everything away.

I wouldn't mind outdoor lights being left out and turned on until the days begin to get noticeably longer. Yesterday morning I needed to be up early to catch a train at 8:56. The eastern sky along the horizon was beautiful before sunrise, just like a rainbow.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17951 on: January 07, 2024, 09:50:03 pm »
Guess what? I'm watching the Golden Globes on their web site. I thought I had to watch it on CBS or Paramount+ which I don't have, but it's working just fine. Lots of footage of Taylor Swift looking like a million bucks.

So, Ally Wong just won for best female role in "Beef". Did you see it? I thought it was good. And then, Steven Yeun, the male lead in "Beef" also won!

Matthew Mcfayden won for his role in "Succession". I probably should watch that, as well as "Saltburn."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17952 on: January 07, 2024, 11:18:13 pm »
It's funny because every 15 minutes there's a commercial. You don't hear much but you can see celebrities shmoozing with each other.

The stand-up comedian award went to Ricky Gervais. There wasn't much applause and he wasn't there to accept the award.

Lily Gladstone looks regal in diamonds.

Nolan won for best director. I guess he deserves it...it's his 6th nomination. Cillian Murphy won for Oppenheimer.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17953 on: January 08, 2024, 07:20:03 pm »
Guess what? I'm watching the Golden Globes on their web site. I thought I had to watch it on CBS or Paramount+ which I don't have, but it's working just fine.

Oh, that's good to know!

So, Ally Wong just won for best female role in "Beef". Did you see it? I thought it was good. And then, Steven Yeun, the male lead in "Beef" also won!

I may have mentioned this already, but when I visited my son in Chicago in May, one day was chilly and rainy so we stayed in and watched Beef in its entirety, one episode after another -- a first for me. It was pretty good, but would not have been as riveting on a nicer day.

Matthew Mcfayden won for his role in "Succession". I probably should watch that, as well as "Saltburn."

I saw Succession when it was on and liked it a lot, though I was kind of surprised it became as popular as it did. But it's certainly entertaining.

Saltburn, I have heard, is disturbing and gross. Not traits I tend to enjoy in movies.

The stand-up comedian award went to Ricky Gervais. There wasn't much applause and he wasn't there to accept the award.

His popularity has slipped because he makes a lot of trans jokes. Dave Chappel has lost some fans for the same reason. I think Gervais can be funny, though Chappel is funnier. But I also understand why people get upset when comedians make jokes about a population that is already struggling.

Nolan won for best director. I guess he deserves it...it's his 6th nomination. Cillian Murphy won for Oppenheimer.

Nolan is a fine director and Oppenheimer is pretty good (though far from my favorite of his -- Memento and The Prestige are among my favorite films of all time; Insomnia and the Batman with Heath are also better). But I thought Barbie should win (albeit in a different category), Ryan Gosling should have won over Robert Downy Jr. and Barbie should have won best screenplay.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17954 on: January 09, 2024, 02:43:01 pm »
I wish "Barbie" had won more than "Best Blockbuster Film" and "Best Song." I also think Ryan should have received the Best Supporting Actor award. RD, Jr. was very flippant about his win. Do you suppose the Hollywood press are snobs? We'll see how the Oscars and the BAFTA shake out.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17955 on: January 09, 2024, 06:03:28 pm »
I wish "Barbie" had won more than "Best Blockbuster Film" and "Best Song." I also think Ryan should have received the Best Supporting Actor award. RD, Jr. was very flippant about his win. Do you suppose the Hollywood press are snobs? We'll see how the Oscars and the BAFTA shake out.

And frankly, its "Best Song" was not really its best song.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17956 on: January 14, 2024, 12:35:32 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Monday is a holiday, so I'll have the day off, however, I won't be able to sleep in too much. 

The plumber will be here Monday morning.  I'm having an issue in the kitchen and bathroom, so property management is having someone come to fix them.   In the kitchen, the hot water doesn't completely turn off, unless I really push the tap, so they're fixing that.   In the bathroom, my shower is not getting hot.   The water will get a little warm, and then get cold after a few minutes.  I find this odd, as the water temp in the kitchen sink and bathroom sink isn't affected.  It gets hot and stays hot.

In the summer and fall, it wasn't a big deal, but in the cold of winter, that lukewarm water feels chilly.

Went out to dinner with friends last night, there was about 10 of us, and we went to a local diner.  Some of the people who were there, I hadn't seen since Halloween.  It was great to catch up.

I'm heading out to mom and dad's in a little bit, it's dad's birthday today, he's 85.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17957 on: January 14, 2024, 03:25:43 pm »
Wow, happy your dad's birthday!  Is it Pinkie? 

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17958 on: January 14, 2024, 03:49:41 pm »
Happy birthday, Chuck's dad!

Chuck, have you tried changing your bathroom decor? I'm sure all your problems will be over if you do... ::) ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17959 on: January 14, 2024, 05:14:41 pm »
I saw your extremely cute photo of your parents on FB. Happy birthday to your dad!