Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8915402 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14780 on: February 04, 2017, 01:48:00 pm »
lmao!

The things that are discussed on this blog!  I love it!!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14781 on: February 04, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »
Desperation, thy name is Sweden.

Go fry up some herring.

Or maybe you prefer this?

So yummy!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14782 on: February 04, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »
Have some lutefisk.

I've tried it only once. When I was 12. Don't even remember if I liked it or not.  ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14783 on: February 04, 2017, 04:39:47 pm »
I'm sorry to say I won't be emigrating because the climate in Stockholm is actually colder and darker than in Minneapolis.

That may be true, but, quite opposite to what most Stockholmians think, there's plenty of Sweden outside of Stockholm!

Where I live, Malmö, the winters are not very cold, compared to Northern Sweden. We don't have below zero temps very often any more.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14784 on: February 04, 2017, 05:24:59 pm »
That may be true, but, quite opposite to what most Stockholmians think, there's plenty of Sweden outside of Stockholm!

Where I live, Malmö, the winters are not very cold, compared to Northern Sweden. We don't have below zero temps very often any more.

Then maybe it's more comparable to Minnesota? I just picked Stockholm so I could narrow it down to a city. Our below-zero temps have decreased, too. The weather guy here was lamenting in his blog today how mild the winters have become compared to how they used to be. I don't mind that trend at all!

I know it's bad for the planet as a whole, but global warming has been a benefit to the Minnesota climate.   ::)

Oh wait, I just realized -- when you said "below-zero temps" were you speaking in celsius? In other words, what would be 32 degrees Fahrenheit? In that case, it's much warmer there than here! I'm on my way!  :laugh:

P.S. As you may know, Minnesota's original settlers were mostly Swedes (also quite a few Norwegians and some Germans). So I've had lutefisk twice, both as an adult. It's really bland, so the first time I thought it was OK. The second time, there was something in the flavor that made me wish I hadn't eaten it.

In some of the rural parts of Minnesota, the accent sounds kind of Swedish. Well, you may or may not have detected that if you've ever seen Fargo, either the movie or the TV show, though that takes the accents to an extreme.

I myself am not of Swedish descent. My folks was Iowans.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14785 on: February 04, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »
You might check out Goteborg. It's farther south than Stockholm.

At least, since you're from Minnesota, if you moved to Sweden you'd already be used to living surrounded by Lutherans.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14786 on: February 04, 2017, 07:33:13 pm »
Then maybe it's more comparable to Minnesota? I just picked Stockholm so I could narrow it down to a city. Our below-zero temps have decreased, too. The weather guy here was lamenting in his blog today how mild the winters have become compared to how they used to be. I don't mind that trend at all!

I know it's bad for the planet as a whole, but global warming has been a benefit to the Minnesota climate.   ::)

Oh wait, I just realized -- when you said "below-zero temps" were you speaking in celsius? In other words, what would be 32 degrees Fahrenheit? In that case, it's much warmer there than here! I'm on my way!  :laugh:

P.S. As you may know, Minnesota's original settlers were mostly Swedes (also quite a few Norwegians and some Germans). So I've had lutefisk twice, both as an adult. It's really bland, so the first time I thought it was OK. The second time, there was something in the flavor that made me wish I hadn't eaten it.

In some of the rural parts of Minnesota, the accent sounds kind of Swedish. Well, you may or may not have detected that if you've ever seen Fargo, either the movie or the TV show, though that takes the accents to an extreme.

I myself am not of Swedish descent. My folks was Iowans.

Yes, I was talking Celcius. You have to get used to that when you move here!  ;D
Also metric, and proper way of writing dates.

OTOH, you'll get sick leave and vacation! Not bad, eh? Health care is a given, I suppose I don't even have to mention it.

Malmö is in the very very south of Sweden, so it's the warmes you get. Not that our winters are much fun anyway, it's usually wet and grey.

I haven't seen Fargo, but it's interesting about the accent.

One of the most classic and loved book series in Sweden is Utvandrarna (The Emmigrants) by Vilhelm Moberg. It's the story of the impoverished Swedes who left for America back in the 1800s. They settled in Minnesota and built their life there.
Vilhelm Moberg did extensive research in America as part of the writing process.

It's been filmed with Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman in the main roles.
And made into a musical by no less than Björn and Benny of ABBA fame.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14787 on: February 04, 2017, 07:46:52 pm »
Here's a little taste of the accent in "Fargo".  Youbectha.  Yeah.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAVuE524Gk[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14788 on: February 05, 2017, 07:32:51 pm »
Here's a little taste of the accent in "Fargo".  Youbectha.  Yeah.

For the record, people here don't really talk like that.

I always assumed we talked exactly like newscasters (i.e., accentless) until I moved to New Orleans and people pointed out that I have an unusual way of pronouncing O's. Like, Minnesooohhhta instead of Minneseeuuta, which is the way West and East Coast residents would pronounce it, in my experience.

In farming areas or even some of the more working-class Minneapolis neighborhoods, the accent is vaguely similar to the one in Fargo but definitely not that extreme.

And Northeastern Minnesota, a mining as opposed to farming area, was settled by Serbs and Croatians, so the accent is a little different there. Marge Gunderson, Frances McDormand's character in Fargo, is from Brainerd, MN, which is closer to the Northeastern part, so it's even less accurate. But of course the Coens must know all this.

The most accurate part of Fargo is the kinds of things people say. Like when William H. Macy meets his father-in-law in a coffee shop and realizes his whole life is crumbling, then on his way out the hostess asks how everything was and he goes, "Oh, fine, just fine" or something like that. That's very Minnesotan.

Yes, I was talking Celcius. You have to get used to that when you move here!  ;D

No problem! To find out the "real" temperature, you just double the number and add 32.  :laugh:

Also metric, and proper way of writing dates.

I could get used to both, since they're logical ways of doing those things.

OTOH, you'll get sick leave and vacation! Not bad, eh? Health care is a given, I suppose I don't even have to mention it.

I do have sick leave and vacation in one of my jobs, but not the other (one is a staff job, the other is a "self-employed contract job").

My health care premiums, however, are set to go up to something like $470 a month this year, with a $6,500 deductible. And they'd be $626 a month if the governor of Minnesota hadn't approved money for insurance companies to offer a 25 percent rebate for people who don't qualify for tax credits under Obamacare. I think a lot of people in other states are just screwed.

So yes, please keep an eye out for job openings for English-speaking non-native journalists and I'll be ready to start packing!  :)

One of the most classic and loved book series in Sweden is Utvandrarna (The Emmigrants) by Vilhelm Moberg. It's the story of the impoverished Swedes who left for America back in the 1800s. They settled in Minnesota and built their life there.
Vilhelm Moberg did extensive research in America as part of the writing process.

It's been filmed with Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman in the main roles.
And made into a musical by no less than Björn and Benny of ABBA fame.

That's a beloved book here, too. I saw the movie years ago -- in the theater!! I have not seen the musical, though.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14789 on: February 05, 2017, 08:09:00 pm »
For the record, people here don't really talk like that.

Ok, and the Swedes don't sound like the Swedish Chef.

:laugh:

Oh, wait....they don't?    Ok...nevermind!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!