Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8743094 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14830 on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
Re photobucket: I long ago stopped using it to post photos here. I just post them directly from the sites. Isn't the main roblem that the photos might not show up or, if they do, that eventually their locations could change and they'll disappear? That may pose a problem when future generations write the history of BetterMost, but for now it saves a few steps. Or am I breaking some rule of the internet?

Well, this is my understanding, but I could be wrong.

If you link a picture directly from another site, you are causing them to use more bandwidth,  which affects how their site works, and can cost them money.

If you link from Photobucket,  the site is dedicated to hosting pics, so if you post a pic you find from  Photobucket, you are not affecting another site's bandwidth.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14831 on: February 17, 2017, 05:14:46 pm »
I never say it (like I said, my folks was from Iowa), but if you teach me the proper pronunciation, maybe I'll start. I'll go around saying it in a Swedish accent and confusing everyone, and whenever I hear anyone pronounce it the Minnesota way I'll snootily correct them!  :laugh:

I'll be happy to!  ;D
Problem is, you have to hear it, coz the 'sch'-sound doesn't exist in English.
I've googled for it, but can't find anywhere you can listen to it  :(

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14832 on: February 18, 2017, 12:18:13 pm »
I'll be happy to!  ;D
Problem is, you have to hear it, coz the 'sch'-sound doesn't exist in English.
I've googled for it, but can't find anywhere you can listen to it  :(

I just yesterday learned that ceviche should be pronounced like se-BEE-chay. So now I can be authentic about that.

We have a "sch" sound, but I can't imagine how it would fit into uff-dah.

Of course, English being confusing as it is, our "sch" can be pronounced K like in school, SH like in the name Fisch, and maybe some others.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14833 on: February 18, 2017, 02:27:22 pm »
Well, this is my understanding, but I could be wrong.

If you link a picture directly from another site, you are causing them to use more bandwidth,  which affects how their site works, and can cost them money.

If you link from Photobucket,  the site is dedicated to hosting pics, so if you post a pic you find from  Photobucket, you are not affecting another site's bandwidth.

Good point, Chuck. I think you're right, or at least that was the case back when we all started using Photobucket. Photos are so widely shared these days I don't know if it's still as much of a factor, but in any case I decided I don't care if it's a big commercial site.

If it's a smaller, more struggling operation, I'll try to be sensitive to this in the future.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14834 on: February 18, 2017, 05:04:18 pm »
I just yesterday learned that ceviche should be pronounced like se-BEE-chay. So now I can be authentic about that.

We have a "sch" sound, but I can't imagine how it would fit into uff-dah.

Of course, English being confusing as it is, our "sch" can be pronounced K like in school, SH like in the name Fisch, and maybe some others.

The "sch" is pronounced differently depending on where in Sweden you're from. In northern Sweden it's pronounced almost like "sh" in English fish, but in southern Sweden where I live the sound is very different and not like any sound existing in English.

If you put your lips in a kissing position, and blow out air between them, you'll get a little taste of what the sound is.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14835 on: February 19, 2017, 06:41:17 pm »
If you put your lips in a kissing position, and blow out air between them, you'll get a little taste of what the sound is.

Eww. I just tried that. Sounds gross.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14836 on: February 19, 2017, 07:12:38 pm »

If I do that, spit comes out.  :laugh:

Sorry, I don't mean to make fun of your language -- I'm probably just doing it wrong. Wish there were an audio function at BetterMost!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14837 on: February 19, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »
OK, here are a bunch of pronunciations I found online:

This one makes no sense at all:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CuWG4K80E[/youtube]

This one's kind of gross:
http://vimeo.com/4154529

Here's a Minnesotan going on way too long about it. It's a classic Minnesota pronunciation of the word -- in fact, she has a pretty standard Minnesota accent in general -- but the weird thing is, I don't feel like she defines "uff-da" properly, at least not the way it's used here. She describes it as an expression of strong feelings, positive or negative, like "Yee-hah!!" or "Shit!" But actually, I feel like people here use it in milder circumstances, something like "Wow." "It's supposed to snow six inches on Saturday." "Uff-da!" or "I'm having the entire family for Thanksgiving, so I'll be cooking for 18 people." "Uff-da!"
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uebax5eX4[/youtube]

And finally, here's the most useful one; you can scroll down a list and hear how to pronounce uff-da in every language. But would, say, an Italian person ever even say uff-da?
http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Uff-da

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14838 on: February 19, 2017, 07:35:41 pm »
Eww. I just tried that. Sounds gross.  :(

Then you probably didn't do it right!  ;D 8)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14839 on: February 19, 2017, 07:37:07 pm »
If I do that, spit comes out.  :laugh:

Sorry, I don't mean to make fun of your language -- I'm probably just doing it wrong. Wish there were an audio function at BetterMost!

Well, since we don't spit while talking, you must have done it wrong!  :laugh: