Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734620 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14910 on: March 15, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »
funny stories, Catherine and Jeff!

Got to work a little on the late side, I had to clean the car off.  Other than that, it was a slow day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14911 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:49 am »
On Monday one of our local TV weather reporters broadcast a map showing how many bottles of wine it was predicted that people would need to get through yesterday's snowstorm.  ;D

When I lived in New Orleans, whenever a hurricane appeared headed toward the city (this was long before Katrina), the stores would be filled with people stocking up on batteries, canned goods, bottled water and alcohol. You had to kind of wonder how much alcohol you really should consume in case you did suddenly have to switch into survival mode. Still, a couple of beers seemed crucial.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14912 on: March 16, 2017, 05:51:20 pm »
now it's eggs, bread and milk.    Snow is coming, make french toast!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14913 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:04 pm »
When I lived in New Orleans, whenever a hurricane appeared headed toward the city (this was long before Katrina), the stores would be filled with people stocking up on batteries, canned goods, bottled water and alcohol. You had to kind of wonder how much alcohol you really should consume in case you did suddenly have to switch into survival mode. Still, a couple of beers seemed crucial.

I seem to remember reading someone a long time ago that someone asked residents of a Caribbean island what they did when a hurricane came. They replied, "We get drunk." Maybe the same thing applies in NOLA?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14914 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:30 am »
I seem to remember reading someone a long time ago that someone asked residents of a Caribbean island what they did when a hurricane came. They replied, "We get drunk." Maybe the same thing applies in NOLA?

To the extent that it goes beyond everyday life in NOLA, probably true. Seriously, my husband and I followed all the procedures: taped Xes over the windows, got ready to crouch behind an upended mattress up in the hall as shelter and stocked up on beer. But it did occur to me that if the worst happened, multiple beers might not be the greatest peparedness.

I remember hearing of somebody writing their own name and address on their arm with a Sharpie.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14915 on: March 17, 2017, 11:35:19 am »
I remember hearing of somebody writing their own name and address on their arm with a Sharpie.

I heard of people doing that, too.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14916 on: March 19, 2017, 09:49:01 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14917 on: March 20, 2017, 10:59:03 am »

Thank you!

The nox isn't quite equi in my part of the country/time zone. Here in Minneapolis, sunrise today was at 7:16 a.m., but sunset will be 7:26 p.m. Close enough, though! Fast or slow, I like the direction we're going.

According to Google, our literal equinox was Saturday, when both sunrise and sunset were at 7:22.

Earlier today, I read a thing by a Facebook friend who, at her wedding years ago, wanted the first song at the dance to be "Stairway to Heaven." But her mother insisted on "Sunrise, Sunset," and the mom somehow prevailed. So now those words have been stuck in my head -- this just reinforces them!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14918 on: March 20, 2017, 06:22:53 pm »
Now, onto summer solstice, the longest day of the year.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14919 on: March 20, 2017, 10:55:40 pm »
Now, onto summer solstice, the longest day of the year.
Although I have just passed the Autumnal Equinox, I will next see the summer solstice in Fairbanks, Alaska when there will be about 21 hours of sunlight.
I just had a phone call from Air NZ about a change in flight time from Vancouver to Toronto. Then she asked me if I had a flight home (I booked them separately) as apparently I will not be allowed into North America without a return flight booked. Trump wants to make sure I do not overstay my welcome.  ;D