Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8738964 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15010 on: May 25, 2017, 01:13:47 pm »
In Sweden we haven't had any checks for the last 25 years.

People pay their bills online - either on computer or mobile phone - , or via bank giro. We also have the automated system, you allow a company to withdrav the money directly from your bank account.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15011 on: May 25, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
So funny to see how checks are being phased out.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15012 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:33 pm »
Many banks have mobile banking.  I can deposit a check using my cell phone, which takes a photo of the check. No need to even go to an ATM.

True. I haven't tried that yet. But I did see a scene on You're the Worst where a ditzy woman took an iPhone photo of a big check and then ripped it to shreds, thinking she'd done you need to do to deposit it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15013 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:28 pm »
I was talking to my mom today, as her bank had sent her a letter about accounts.  There was one account the bank had which charges $0.50 for each check over 8 that  you write per month.

I asked my mom how many checks per month she  writes, her reply was 30.   LOL  :o

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15014 on: May 29, 2017, 02:55:53 pm »
So I guess your advice was not to open that account....?!!   ::) ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15015 on: May 29, 2017, 05:29:52 pm »
yes, you could say that.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15016 on: May 29, 2017, 07:19:16 pm »
I was talking to my mom today, as her bank had sent her a letter about accounts.  There was one account the bank had which charges $0.50 for each check over 8 that  you write per month.

I asked my mom how many checks per month she  writes, her reply was 30.   LOL  :o

I sense a need for a team of educators to travel around to community ed centers, senior living places, etc., and teach basic skills: using the remote, searching for things on Roku or other streaming service, smart phone, tablet ... then onto handy uses like online banking ...

Of course, many older people are already great with those things. I talked to one guy of about 90 who'd been using a personal computer when they were, like, the size of old sewing machines and tables. (The "mainframes," of course, were like rooms full of refrigerators.) I mean, early 50s if not 40s. And he'd kept completely up with the latest technology. Prefers Macs now.

But I've also known a woman whose husband kept all their financial records on the computer and then he died and she didn't even know how to turn it on.

And a week or so ago I interviewed a 72-yo woman who didn't have a computer at home. Maybe at work -- it wasn't really clear. When the story came out (on NextAvenue!) she asked me to print out a copy and mail it through the Post Office.

So I did. She was actually a pretty fascinating woman -- not at all retiring or typically reluctant to venture into unknown territory. She had lived in India and other parts of the world, had interesting jobs. But at 72 she was drawing the line at home computers and cell phones -- I don't mean she doesn't use smartphones, I mean she only uses the kind plugged into the wall. Kept life "simpler," she said.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15017 on: May 29, 2017, 07:37:47 pm »
But I've also known a woman whose husband kept all their financial records on the computer and then he died and she didn't even know how to turn it on.

And a week or so ago I interviewed a 72-yo woman who didn't have a computer at home. Maybe at work -- it wasn't really clear. When the story came out (on NextAvenue!) she asked me to print out a copy and mail it through the Post Office.

So I did. She was actually a pretty fascinating woman -- not at all retiring or typically reluctant to venture into unknown territory. She had lived in India and other parts of the world, had interesting jobs. But at 72 she was drawing the line at home computers and cell phones -- I don't mean she doesn't use smartphones, I mean she only uses the kind plugged into the wall. Kept life "simpler," she said.

We have a woman on my team at work. I recently learned she's 73. She had a career in university and museum publishing, but when it comes to using a PC, she's even more functionally illiterate than I am. She has to be shown three times how to do things, and she still doesn't get it.  :(

On the other hand, my dad has learned to take pictures on his (flip phone) cell phone, and even I haven't learned to do that! :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15018 on: May 30, 2017, 01:14:16 am »
I am 73  ;D  :(  I do online banking and book airlines and hotels etc online., take photos on my cell phone but prefer my camera. I am here so obviously use computer (Macs), as a teacher-librarian I use to teach students to search on engines before Google (Alta Vista comes to mind but there were others) but what is Roku?  ;D Sounds like Sudoku which I do not do.
I do prefer a keyboard so gave my Ipad to my sister (older but with arthritis) and wander round the world with a laptop. and is one reason I do not like using cellphones for anything other than calls. I can text but it takes forever, my fingers keep hitting the wrong letter.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15019 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:51 am »
I am 73  ;D  :(  I do online banking and book airlines and hotels etc online., take photos on my cell phone but prefer my camera. I am here so obviously use computer (Macs), as a teacher-librarian I use to teach students to search on engines before Google (Alta Vista comes to mind but there were others) but what is Roku?  ;D Sounds like Sudoku which I do not do.
I do prefer a keyboard so gave my Ipad to my sister (older but with arthritis) and wander round the world with a laptop. and is one reason I do not like using cellphones for anything other than calls. I can text but it takes forever, my fingers keep hitting the wrong letter.

Yes, I think that in terms of techological skillfulness, age is not a determinant. But there is a correlation. Like I said, the guy at the senior center who was running the program was in his 80s.

And I keep trying to tell my 22-yo to put his phone on "find my phone" and he claims he can't do it. I told him I did it and it took 5 minutes. I told him his dad did it, and he can hardly order a book off Amazon. As for my ex, he's 54 and doesn't care to learn about anything beyond what it takes to do his job, which is a fair amount since he's a reporter. (Plus history, which he likes to read about.) I can't explain my son. He certainly knows how to use Snapchat and Spotify and all those other things the kids are into these days.

Brian, Roku is a system that lets you watch streaming video via your wireless if you don't already have a "smart TV" that can do that by itself. You probably have some alternative technology with a different name, I would think.