Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8739984 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15990 on: February 26, 2019, 04:39:27 pm »
The situation is very different here. Our city government is going to take up the issue of shops that no longer accept cash and now only accept cards. Refusing to accept cash is being called discrimination against poor people who do not have cards.

We were given to understand that other cities have taken up this issue, too. We are told that there is a population of poor people who do not even have bank accounts.

It's regarded a problem here too, that some stores don't accept cash.

Poverty isn't discussed as a reason, but there are other reasons some people don't have cards. They can be here illegally e.g., or old people who've never gotten used to cards and hang on to cash.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15991 on: February 26, 2019, 06:59:22 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

First day back to work after some time off (even if it's only one day) can be rough.  Thankfully, today went smoothly.

I managed to get most things done today, but I will  have some stuff to catch up on tomorrow, but nothing I can't handle.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15992 on: February 26, 2019, 07:02:20 pm »
The situation is very different here. Our city government is going to take up the issue of shops that no longer accept cash and now only accept cards. Refusing to accept cash is being called discrimination against poor people who do not have cards.

We were given to understand that other cities have taken up this issue, too. We are told that there is a population of poor people who do not even have bank accounts.

I think it is illegal here not to accept cash (legal tender) but my sister was telling me about a large shop in Sydney where you had to go to a special counter down the back if you had cash as the registers in the main shop only took cards.  There are no passbooks for new accounts now but my sister use to have to take an elderly cousin's passbook in and have it updated every month or so. My cousin would not accept anything else. It was a bit of a hassle. I think poor people here have to have bank accounts as I do not think they could receive any government payments without one.   My last night in Vancouver in 2017, I paid cash for my dinner (I wanted to get rid of Canadian money) and the middle aged waitress said to me "Oh cash, no-one uses cash anymore"  Again back in January 1977 I caught the train from Venice to Innsbruck. It was delayed by snow blocking the pass. I got rid of all my Lira  before leaving Italy as you did in those days. I checked into a B&B in Innsbruck but the lady could not cash my travellers cheque until her husband came home. I had not had any lunch and walked around the town for an hour or so looking longingly at restaurants.  Finally went back to the B&B and the husband cashed my cheque and I had a lovely big Wiener Schnitzel.  Been a favourite meal ever since.  ;D How much easier travel is now, not only the Euro in most countries but ATMs everywhere. 

It's regarded a problem here too, that some stores don't accept cash.

Poverty isn't discussed as a reason, but there are other reasons some people don't have cards. They can be here illegally e.g., or old people who've never gotten used to cards and hang on to cash.

I've actually had the opposite happen.  I've gone to places where there are signs saying they don't accept credit cards, and to pay with cash.  They all had an ATM in the business, so you could withdrawal cash and pay your bill.

Thankfully,  I always carry cash in my pockets.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15993 on: February 26, 2019, 07:30:45 pm »
There is a music store here, where I occasionally buy cds, that has a sign 'no cards' and there is an ATM right outside. Have not been there for over 6 months so not sure if still the case. Use to be a problem as you had to pay to use another bank's ATM but those charges were removed by all the banks nearly a year ago. Even at the Saturday Farmers market probably a third of the stalls take cards and give out cash if needed. I always make sure I have enough cash before I go. it actually irritates me, as paying by card takes longer. really annoying buying an ice cream or a glass of wine at interval during concerts. Better if the terminal has 'tap 'n go' (Australia) or Paywave (NZ). but there is still the wait for it to be approved online.  However I read an article that discussed whether it would be NZ or Denmark that did away with cash first. Doubt it will be in my lifetime.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15994 on: February 26, 2019, 07:54:49 pm »
I've actually had the opposite happen.  I've gone to places where there are signs saying they don't accept credit cards, and to pay with cash.  They all had an ATM in the business, so you could withdrawal cash and pay your bill.

Thankfully,  I always carry cash in my pockets.

Me, too.

I don't know if it's still true, but I believe at one time businesses had to pay the credit card company for the "privilege" of accepting the company's cards, so a business, especially a small one, saved money by accepting only cash.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

« Reply #15995 on: February 26, 2019, 09:06:32 pm »
Banks take a commission from the business when their card is used. American Express apparently charge a higher commission which is why you see signs saying their cards are not accepted.  Banks here have guaranteed Paywave as, not needing a PIN (signatures are now only accepted if you are a tourist), they may be used before the owner realises their card is missing. Therefore the bank charges the business a higher commission. For that reason there is often a notice saying Paywave not permitted.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15996 on: March 02, 2019, 04:49:23 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope everyone is doing well!

;D

Left work pretty much on time on Friday,  and it was pay day, so that made things even better.

;D

Woke  up to freshly fallen snow, about two inches worth, but the temps have gone up enough that it's been melting most of the afternoon.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15997 on: March 02, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »
I don't know if it's still true, but I believe at one time businesses had to pay the credit card company for the "privilege" of accepting the company's cards, so a business, especially a small one, saved money by accepting only cash.

Banks take a commission from the business when their card is used. American Express apparently charge a higher commission which is why you see signs saying their cards are not accepted.  Banks here have guaranteed Paywave as, not needing a PIN (signatures are now only accepted if you are a tourist), they may be used before the owner realises their card is missing. Therefore the bank charges the business a higher commission. For that reason there is often a notice saying Paywave not permitted.

To my knowledge, the banks still take a commission.  Sometimes you will  go into a place and see a sign that charge cards are not accepted for purchases of under $5.00 or $10.00.  That's because those business don't want to pay the commission on those small purchases, and will try to force customers to pay cash for them instead.  Card companies have told business that they can't do that, but they still do it anyway.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15998 on: March 02, 2019, 05:17:02 pm »
To my knowledge, the banks still take a commission.  Sometimes you will  go into a place and see a sign that charge cards are not accepted for purchases of under $5.00 or $10.00.  That's because those business don't want to pay the commission on those small purchases, and will try to force customers to pay cash for them instead.  Card companies have told business that they can't do that, but they still do it anyway.

"Commission" is probably what I was thinking of when I said something about companies charging a business for accepting their cards. But I frequently see signs about not accepting cards for purchases less than $5.00 or $10.00, especially in "mom and pop" convenience stores. I also frequently see signs indicating that a business will accept Visa or Mastercard but not American Express.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

« Reply #15999 on: March 02, 2019, 05:35:52 pm »
Yes, we have stores with those signs as well. However, as I said, I do not use my card for small purchases, use to be $20 but now down to about $15. However see friends and others using card for a cup of coffee ($4.50)