Author Topic: Do You Support The Death Penalty?  (Read 168202 times)

karen1129

Re: Do You Support The Death Penalty?
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:10 am »
In what way does it matter then if they spend their lives in jail instead of killing them?
Society should defend themselves aganst criminals, that should be the point of the court system, not to kill them off.

And I can see how killing criminals seems like an "easier" solution (if you could ever call taking a human life that) than to put money into resources to work proactive, to fight crime before it happens. That is much harder, but I for one is not willing to throw in the towl and go "naw, let´s just kill them instead".

And the death penalty really isn´t a solution. The crime has already been commited so it´s too late to do anything about that, and as has been proved in many surveys, the death penalty does not scare other people off from commiting crimes.

and..

it has been prooven that innocent people have been executed

and even criminals have families.

Up until 2005 it was even legal to execute 16 year olds in US, that has since then changed at least

I too believe innocent people have been executed.
That is why I would have a hard time serving on a jury
where the death penalty came into play.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:58 am »
It costs nearly 25K annually to house a federal prisoner as compared to $3,500 for them to be out on probation.  I'm sorry but for convicted rapists, murderers, child molesters, terrorists, are not worth me as a taxpayer, spending that kind of money to keep them alive.  I don't see the death penalty as an "easy solution" and to intimate that I would find the taking of life would be easy for me is wrong and unfair.  I would grieve as much for the person and his/her family as I would for the victim, but in the end I would feel like justice was served properly.
First; I´m sorry, I didn´t mean to imply that you personally found it easy

I don´t think we should messure human life in money. At least I wouldn´t like to explain that kind of reasoning to the families of the executed. And I mean, how do we decide? Should we maybe kill anyone who is sentenced to prison then because they cost money, even it is for robbery or thefth? Don´t you see how hard it is to draw the lines?

And yes - it does cost money - and this is another reason to work proactive. Proactive work might cost money, but in the long run it´s lot cheaper, both in money and human lives counted.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:05 am »
It is difficult to say about the death penalty, but it is also nessessary in certain circumstances !

Of course, there has been some or many innocent who have been hanged... and the guilty should have been instead ! And that is why some fear, as innocent, that they will be hanged !

So, there needs to be be ways to find out who is not guilty and who is !!

That Chinese foreign who was in Canada for four years and who murdered an innocent young man in front of many in that Greyhound bus, I think that he shoiuld be hanged, don't you ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2008, 12:06:43 pm »
Well that brings up the other issue of prison overcrowding in those states that do not have the death penalty.  No I don't think that common criminals should be put to death (they should be made to reimburse for their incarceration though), but for those who have committed heinous acts, yes, simply, they should die.  You rape someone, you die, you molest a child, you die, you kill another, you will be killed.  Believe me, this flies in the face of my otherwise liberal stance on most things, so it's uncomfortable for me, but if I am being honest, it's how I feel.

Overcrowding is due to the fact that many states in the US have a high crime rate, I doubt it´s due to the fact that they don´t have the death penalty (it´s not like thousands of people are being executed after all). Again, why not take a closer look on why the crime rates are so high, and then to try and do something about that? That´s the only way to get the prisons to be less overcrowded. (and other kinds of punishment such in some cases)

But, we just have to agree to disagree I guess

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2008, 12:12:40 pm »
It is difficult to say about the death penalty, but it is also nessessary in certain circumstances !

Of course, there has been some or many innocent who have been hanged... and the guilty should have been instead ! And that is why some fear, as innocent, that they will be hanged !

So, there needs to be be ways to find out who is not guilty and who is !!

That Chinese foreign who was in Canada for four years and who murdered an innocent young man in front of many in that Greyhound bus, I think that he shoiuld be hanged, don't you ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I remember that, that was scary. I had been traveling a lot on greyhound buses (visiting BBM locations!)in Canada the week before that happened so I remember it clearly.

But no, I don´t think he should be hanged. He is clearly not mentally well.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2008, 12:14:46 pm »

karen1129

« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2008, 12:18:56 pm »
I remember that, that was scary. I had been traveling a lot on greyhound buses (visiting BBM locations!)in Canada the week before that happened so I remember it clearly.

But no, I don´t think he should be hanged. He is clearly not mentally well.

I don't think they have the death penalty in Canada.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:04 pm »
May I disagree with you, since I think that that greyhound murderer knows and knew what he was doing: murdering an innocent young man !!

And, I feel that he likely murdered others in Canada, the USA and plus in China too !!

But why do you want him not to be hanged ? Mental or not, he did murder ! And after 10 years or so or before, he will be out on the streets to probalby murder again and again - don't you think ? !

Awaiting your reply from you and all,

au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2008, 12:22:30 pm »
I don't think they have the death penalty in Canada.
good point :)
No they don´t

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2008, 12:26:26 pm »
May I disagree with you, since I think that that greyhound murderer knows and knew what he was doing: murdering an innocent young man !!

And, I feel that he likely murdered others in Canada, the USA and plus in China too !!

But why do you want him not to be hanged ? Mental or not, he did murder ! And after 10 years or so or before, he will be out on the streets to probalby murder again and again - don't you think ? !

Awaiting your reply from you and all,

au revoir,
hugs!
I don´t think he was mentally well because he choped a guy´s head off and proceeded to eat him. ;)
And if it would be ruled that he was not accountable for his actions due to mental illness, then it´s against the law to execute him.

and, morally, I also don´t think it´s right to execute people who don´t know what they are doing (it would be like killing small children)

and damn...all of a sudden I´m not a ranch hand anymore? I kind of liked that, made me feel all Ennis-like. Guess I have to come to term with being a "resident" then...